Gavin Reilly

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 

But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.

Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

Mullen scored 7 league goals last season. Reilly scored 11.

Mullen started fewer games than Reilly, spent half the season with an inferior club and played some of the time on the wing.

Mullen is under contract whilst Reilly isn’t, hence why Reilly was looking for a new deal and Mullen wasn’t!

A striker who scores 11 goals in the Championship for a side that wins the league doesn’t sound like the sort of striker who would be prolific in the top flight.

Gavin Reilly is this season’s Donnie McDowell.

57 minutes ago, zico said:

Mullen started fewer games than Reilly, spent half the season with an inferior club and played some of the time on the wing.

Mullen is under contract whilst Reilly isn’t, hence why Reilly was looking for a new deal and Mullen wasn’t!

A striker who scores 11 goals in the Championship for a side that wins the league doesn’t sound like the sort of striker who would be prolific in the top flight.

Can' t be bothered to check exact figures but I'm sure Reilly will be on double the career goals of Mullen, mostly at a higher level.

19 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

Can' t be bothered to check exact figures but I'm sure Reilly will be on double the career goals of Mullen, mostly at a higher level.

That's not a reason for keeping Reilly! I want us to sign a new striker - someone better than Reilly!

Mullen is decent cover for striker, out wide and Cammy Smith.

Edited by zico

1 hour ago, zico said:

100% correct some are not looking at the bigger picture. Good hard worker for me championship level. 

We could have had Mullen and Reilly. Instead we have Mullen and a guy who scored 13 goals in English non football last year. Find this worrying. Although I've read he is a target man, so maybe more of a replacement for Sutton?

We signed a midfielder and a defender today not a striker.

36 minutes ago, paulsmfc said:

We could have had Mullen and Reilly. Instead we have Mullen and a guy who scored 13 goals in English non football last year. Find this worrying. Although I've read he is a target man, so maybe more of a replacement for Sutton?

Remind me how well  Gavin did last time in Scottish Premiership?  There was no guarantee that he would be good enough at this level and clearly Stubbs thought so.  Let's see who AR brings in to lead up front.