Gavin Reilly

56 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

We signed a midfielder and a defender today not a striker.

I believe Truro gave Cooke a chance up front recently and he scored plenty , in the V9 trial he was invited as a striker !

I believe Truro gave Cooke a chance up front recently and he scored plenty , in the V9 trial he was invited as a striker !

On their website he’s classed as a midfielder so he’s obviously played there quite a bit for them which was pointing out to someone moaning about his 19 goals !

So roughly 1 in 3  compared to 1 in 4 in favour of Reilly and that includes two seasons were he was supposedly rank!

Not sure how the fact that Reilly’s goalscoring record is a bit better than Mullen’s would justify us keeping him rather than trying to sign someone better?

Also, Mullen had played on the wing or as a no. 10 a lot of the time unlike Reilly.

Mullen gives us cover across any of the 4 forward positions.

Reilly didn’t score enough goals in the Championship last season to justify being our main striker in the top flight. He’s a championship standard striker who did a job.

We need better now.

3 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

On their website he’s classed as a midfielder so he’s obviously played there quite a bit for them which was pointing out to someone moaning about his 19 goals !

Converted to a striker a year or so ago, with great results apparently.

23 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

Danny Mullen;

image.png.e9c849ba73a6e2a66685a5d7faf4c9f9.png

Gavin Reilly;

image.png.2a2534f91d89c6ecde5f325a69fb0567.png

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I liked Reilly and he had an eye for goal, but I too formed the view that he perhaps was best suited to the Championship level as he had both more time (as he was quick) and skill than most of the defenders. In the Premier League you don't have that time luxury and the defenders are quicker and harder.

I grew to like Mullen and by the end of the season I could see why JR preferred him to Reilly. He is one of these players that is constantly in your face and he chases lost causes. I think he could be a right pain in the ar*e to defenders at Premier level as well as in the Championship.

I wish Reilly luck and I think someone like ICT, Ross County or Partick would be his likely stopping off place and he would be successful again.

Time will tell!

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, MenstrieSaint said:

Thinking Stubbs saw we had a Gavin Reilly , who was waiting for a better offer to come along , and replaced him with a gut from England , who is desperate to play for us . Also the fact Stubbs spent a week with these non league guys , gave him the opportunity spot the real team

just back from a Saints supporters night out in Edinburgh and read this post , and totally agree with it , the guy that posted must know his football

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, MenstrieSaint said:

Thinking Stubbs saw we had a Gavin Reilly , who was waiting for a better offer to come along , and replaced him with a gut from England , who is desperate to play for us . Also the fact Stubbs spent a week with these non league guys , gave him the opportunity spot the real team

Shame Gavin wasn't.

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 6:56 AM, zico said:

Not sure how the fact that Reilly’s goalscoring record is a bit better than Mullen’s would justify us keeping him raTh er than trying ns,n someone better?

Also, Mullen had played on the wing or as a no. 10 a lot of the time unlike Reilly.

Mullen gives us cover across any of the 4 forward positions.

Reilly didn’t score enough goals in the Championship last season to justify being our main striker in the top flight. He’s a championship standard striker who did a job.

We need better now.

I would think that the biggest accolade a player can get is to be voted by his fellow professionals as one the best, as Reilly was this year in the team of the season. Along with both Smiths captain John and Lewis, that to me speaks volumes of who fellow defenders hated playing against last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reilly turns up at Motherwell os St Johnstone this season, just hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
22 hours ago, Jack the lad said:
I would think that the biggest accolade a player can get is to be voted by his fellow professionals as one the best, as Reilly was this year in the team of the season. Along with both Smiths captain John and Lewis, that to me speaks volumes of who fellow defenders hated playing against last season.
I wouldn't be surprised if Reilly turns up at Motherwell os St Johnstone this season, just hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

Who's "captain John"?

Stephen, did i really type that.

AFAIK Gavin wanted to stay but Stubbs didn't see him being able to make the step up. I'm sure in the long term he'll be glad he doesn't have a season under a gaffer that didn't feel he was at that level.  Reilly has secured a good move to a club elsewhere at a decent level. Alls well that ends well I guess.

9 minutes ago, andysmfc1877 said:

AFAIK Gavin wanted to stay but Stubbs didn't see him being able to make the step up. I'm sure in the long term he'll be glad he doesn't have a season under a gaffer that didn't feel he was at that level.  Reilly has secured a good move to a club elsewhere at a decent level. Alls well that ends well I guess.

It's no ones fault but Gavin he's not here he tried the waiting game backfired on him.