Gavin Reilly

5 hours ago, andysmfc1877 said:

AFAIK Gavin wanted to stay but Stubbs didn't see him being able to make the step up. I'm sure in the long term he'll be glad he doesn't have a season under a gaffer that didn't feel he was at that level.  Reilly has secured a good move to a club elsewhere at a decent level. Alls well that ends well I guess.

Probably hasn't met the boy.       "Gavin wanted to stay ",   did he state that before offer was withdrawn.

7 minutes ago, 17/03/13 said:

Quality striker, and decent lad. Glad he is getting a deal worthy of his prowess. Makes aw the posters who cut their nose off to spite their face by saying, "ach well he was only Championship quality" look not very knowledgeable, or realistic.

he is Championship Winning quality, like the rest of that squad..! Enjoy you're hefty wage rise Gav.

Edited by Lord Pityme

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Quality striker, and decent lad. Glad he is getting a deal worthy of his prowess. Makes aw the posters who cut their nose off to spite their face by saying, "ach well he was only Championship quality" look not very knowledgeable, or realistic.

he is Championship Winning quality, like the rest of that squad..! Enjoy you're hefty wage rise Gav.

He knocked back/took his time on on signing a new deal , so I think Stubbs was well within his rights to withdraw that offer. As for league 1 level, that remains to be seen.  He could quite easily go to one of these clubs and be a bench warmer just like Mallan has been. 

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Benchwarmer for Bristol Rover or benchwarmer for us.

I suppose it was a difficult decision.

Can't blame him for looking for more money.

Will it be worth the likely upheaval to his personal life?

I guess it's in the nature of the job. Chances come along and players have to make decisions. 

I moved house and job 6 times in my first 8 years of work. 

For footballers.. It's a way of life. 

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He wasn't.  He was wanting to re-sign for us. As a few have been reminding us.

Just now, pod said:

Pod. Truth is he dillied and dallied.  No blame on him or the new manager.  Each was entitled to take the action they did.  Good luck to him in the future. 

2 minutes ago, pod said:

He refused our first offer.

I'm quite sure that would have been down to lack of money.

If he was that desperate to sign for us, he would have re-signed for us a long time ago.

As I said, there's no shame in looking for more money.

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Pod. Truth is he dillied and dallied.  No blame on him or the new manager.  Each was entitled to take the action they did.  Good luck to him in the future. 

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He refused our first offer.

I'm quite sure that would have been down to lack of money.

If he was that desperate to sign for us, he would have re-signed for us a long time ago.

As I said, there's no shame in looking for more money.

I agree with both of yous, but others not convinced. 

I have my doubts about Gavin setting the heather alight in League 1, but I'd be delighted for him if he does. Regarding the money, who knows what his deal is? (apart from Lord Pitiful of course, who lives on his own assumptions at all times...)

It's a big move for him to go such a long way from home with his young family, so hopefully he has been well paid for that, and he takes his career onto a new level.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

He was only offered another one year deal, not so good when you've just had a baby. Deals down south are two year minimum. I suppose the question then is whom, valued whom more..?

Like I said, lives on his own assumptions - this is complete bollocks, as you'd expect...

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

If people are discussing it then i guess that answers you're question.

You wrote he was offerd a one year deal. He held out for longer who knows more money also. It went on for weeks agree? He would not sign so our club withdrew the deal. End of story. I'm more keen to see who we bring in. Gav got a good deal else where I'm genuinely happy for him he is a good lad. 

31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You wrote he was offerd a one year deal. He held out for longer who knows more money also. It went on for weeks agree? He would not sign so our club withdrew the deal. End of story. I'm more keen to see who we bring in. Gav got a good deal else where I'm genuinely happy for him he is a good lad. 

There are subtle differences of interpretation. Ross offered him a deal, Gav proposed a different one (two years), Ross said well its on the table till end of june, if i pick up what i need in the interim then its withdrawn, if you decide to go elsewhere in the interim thats ok, if at that point i am still looking then perhaps we might comeback to it.

You f you recall Stelios did the exact same last year and took a chance by holding out till the club gave him a better deal. No ones fault Ross left and it went up in the air, but all this talk that Gav rejected it, ignored it or whatever is wide if the mark. He and Ross had an agreement with a best before date. Manager changed, pulled the deal.

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 5:42 PM, FTOF said:

Benchwarmer or not, time will tell but one thing will be for sure is that he'll be on better money than we could offer.

I still feel Gav would have done a job for us.

14 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

I'm just checking, when you said down south was it Queen of the South, England or Australian teams you were referring to?

St Mirren's Josh Todd completes Queen of the South switch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44046266

Chris Dagnall: Bury sign forward following release by Crewe - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44537195

Barry Corr: Cambridge United striker signs deal until January - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44369108

Leon Legge: Port Vale sign Cambridge United centre-back on one-year deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44228747

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/mariners-sign-kalifa-cisse

Doesn't really matter as all three options blows his unvalued opinion out the water.

Do you actually think i was talking about "All" deals in England ffs..? I was referring to the deals offered to Reilly down south, the ones he is considering are minimum two years. We were offering one.

It's old news now anyway , bottom line is Gavin couldn't get back into our starting line-up during the run-in , he wasn't missed as we reached our goal easily.  Wasn't missed then , won't be missed next season !