Gavin Reilly

23 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The offer was from Ross till july, no ones fault Stubbs came in and as is his right decided to pull the offer completely before July. Like Stelios last season Gav was happy to wait till the deadline on the offer to see if Ross would improve it, or not. Then decide accordingly.

if an employer makes you an offer of a new position,/contract extension, and says you need to advise if you are accepting it by a certain date, then how does that then make you 'stalling' if you are open to securing a better offer for you and your young family, but the offer is pulled before the deadline?

Reilly has done nothing wrong, Stubbs is entitled to choose his squad, surely its not rocket science to suggest if the club wanted him, he would have been asked to accept or decline by Stubbs?

You know more than I do, if the offer from Ross was open until July.

Stubbs hinted that he had words with the agent, but wouldn't go any further, which would seem to me to indicate he wasn't entirely happy with the game being played by the player / agent.

2 hours ago, ds10 said:

According to his interview on Bristol Rovers site, that was the only offer he had.

Sounded like he felt quite sorry for himself, and was relieved he got an offer. Might have felt sorry for him myself if he hadn't messed us around, which got him into the situation in the first place.

Anyway, hope it works out for him in Bristol.

Don't imagine he's feeling sorry for himself if he's got a better deal down there as you'd expect. Top half of English L1 will probably offer good terms and deals, far better than anything we could offer. He's probably gonna send Stubbs a thank you card! :)

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whats difficult to understand about a guy, with a new baby considering an offer the manager who made it to him was happy to leave on the table till July. Where the manager had the option to improve it as the player wanted more than a one year deal, or say thats it, only for Stubbs to come in and pull the offer?

ffs we've now paid our highest transfer fee in decades, and given a THREE year deal to a guy none of us have seen from non league football, but we've let our highest scorer walk...! 

Reilly's goals have gone, as have Morgan's... what if young Magennis gets a tap on the shoulder as well?

Bristol Rovers have signed a player neither they or their supporters have ever seen.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

ffs we've now paid our highest transfer fee in decades, and given a THREE year deal to a guy none of us have seen from non league football, but we've let our highest scorer walk...! 

Back in 2012 Leicester City paid £1 MILLION and gave a THREE year deal to a guy that none of their supporters had heard of from non league football.....

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Of course time will tell but not happy with the Gavin debacle . Appreciate Alan's wants his own team however as LPM says we have lost 38 goals in Morgan and Gavin. Not really seeing the signings yet, of course its totally result driven, so jury remains out 

It's up to Alan to replace the goals - 11 Championship goals (Reilly's total) might not amount to much in the Premiership though, so new blood up front was always required.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

It's up to Alan to replace the goals - 11 Championship goals (Reilly's total) might not amount to much in the Premiership though, so new blood up front was always required.

Mate the difference between the Championship and Premiership is not that big....... Reilly was also mainly used as a sub in the last quarter

Yes you're spot Alan needs to find a replacement- Truro City ?  The Poldark  XI

IMHO - We should have kept him.............. hope Stubbs proves me wrong 

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mate the difference between the Championship and Premiership is not that big....... Reilly was also mainly used as a sub in the last quarter

If you difference isn't huge, why is this only the second time in 6 years - including years when Rangers, Hibs and It's were in the playoffs - that the Championship team has prevailed?

Regardless of the difference, I think we were always going to sign at least one striker. 

If Reilly wanted to stay desperately, he'd have signed the deal he was offered first, or the improved offer that was made. The fact is he wasn't desperate to stay and his agent has got him a decent deal down south. Good luck to him.

Lastly, why not wait til we see our new signings in action before setting yourself up for egg on your face?

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

If you difference isn't huge, why is this only the second time in 6 years - including years when Rangers, Hibs and It's were in the playoffs - that the Championship team has prevailed?

Regardless of the difference, I think we were always going to sign at least one striker. 

If Reilly wanted to stay desperately, he'd have signed the deal he was offered first, or the improved offer that was made. The fact is he wasn't desperate to stay and his agent has got him a decent deal down south. Good luck to him.

Lastly, why not wait til we see our new signings in action before setting yourself up for egg on your face?

Mate, I am not setting myself up for anything. Its called my opinion. That's Stubbs should have kept him. As for this signing crap line, he is a human being not property of Saints. Rovers in a higher League have seen his potential, for all he would have cost he was worth a punt.

Even with new signings, I still think he was worth a one year deal, geez we have Ross Stewart in a 2 year deal

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mate, I am not setting myself up for anything. Its called my opinion. That's Stubbs should have kept him. As for this signing crap line, he is a human being not property of Saints. Rovers in a higher League have seen his potential, for all he would have cost he was worth a punt.

Even with new signings, I still think he was worth a one year deal, geez we have Ross Stewart in a 2 year deal

By 'signing crap line' you mean the fact that he failed to sign any of the contracts he was offered this summer? 

You don't know what he was offered, therefore you aren't in a position to say he was worth a punt. 

We gave Ross Stewart a two year deal, on far less money, in the championship, at a point where Reilly would only take a one year deal, which is why we were in the situation we found ourselves in with him this summer.

You're allowed your opinion, and I'm allowed to point out you're setting yourself up for egg on your face cos that's *my* opinion.

:wink:

Edited by Soctty

26 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

How well did Gav do in his previous stint in Premiership?  Clearly he is considered by our manager as not good enough. 

19 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Rovers in a higher league? Are you claiming the English 3rd tier is higher than our Premiership?

4 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Rovers in a higher league? Are you claiming the English 3rd tier is higher than our Premiership?

Its an interesting question.

Jason Naismith just signed for Peterborough rather than Aberdeen so he clearly thinks so

Bristol Rovers average attendance last season was bigger than 7 Scots Prem clubs

Guest TPAFKATS
No problem for Gav, he got a longer and better paid deal. But he did want the option to continue playing for us. As i have said continually, its up to Stubbs who he wants, the upshot of that is a good goalscorer has walked. 
Re your bit i guess hinting at employment law??? Most offers of new/extended/improved contracts come with an accept/ decline date and clause/clauses relating to the company having the right to withdraw their offer at any point without advance notice.
Gavin Reilly had the option to continue playing for us. He rejected it.
We offered an improved option for him to continue to play for us. He chose to take time to deliberate longer on that option while obviously waiting to see if any better options came up.
Time ran out on that option as we decided to move on.
Not sure what you are getting annoyed at the club for.

Was he not offered a 2 year deal at the beginning of season 2017-2018 and would only sign for 1 year ? Now when we offered him 1 year for this season he wanted 2 years [emoji23] He had his chance and didn't take it so best of luck to him in England [emoji106]

In my opinion , Stubbs knew he was going to sign Cody Cooke when he withdrew  Reilly offer , and if Cooke proves to be the better of the two , then well done Stubbsy , as for Reilly he had his chance , then moaned when the contract offer was withdrawn , I don't think he was ever interested in accepting the offer , he just wanted it on the table as a bargaining tool.

Seem to remember him going to the papers saying he never gave the offer sufficient  attention because his wife was due to give birth , which is fair enough that he considers his other half as much as he considers his football career , and thats the bit I cant understand , with such a young family , why move so far away from home ( unless his partner is from Bristol .

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

By 'signing crap line' you mean the fact that he failed to sign any of the contracts he was offered this summer? 

You don't know what he was offered, therefore you aren't in a position to say he was worth a punt. 

We gave Ross Stewart a two year deal, on far less money, in the championship, at a point where Reilly would only take a one year deal, which is why we were in the situation we found ourselves in with him this summer.

You're allowed your opinion, and I'm allowed to point out you're setting yourself up for egg on your face cos that's *my* opinion.

:wink:

Ok your opinion on my opinion in my opinion is your opinion and not my opinion :thumbsup 

10 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Seem to remember him going to the papers saying he never gave the offer sufficient  attention because his wife was due to give birth.

Mm..How long does it take to sign a bit of paper? That's about as believable as Neymar's antics on the pitch...

On the Neymar Scale, how do you feel today?

image.png.7fb13237dff60af5316b5308e669dcb6.png