Gavin Reilly

1 hour ago, zico said:

No, I'd say it was totally true!

Why else would they sell him half way through the season?

He was left on the bench 8 times in the first half of that season before they punted him and he scored only 9 times in open play.

They got shot of him and brought in a far cheaper replacement who scored more goals in less games!

Possibly an alleged racist tweet ? :rolleyes:    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/11/leigh-griffiths-wolves-racist-tweet

The FACT is he finished the season as joint top scorer.

A feat all the more remarkable when you consider how many were scored from substitue appearances !  Exceptional strike rate i would say . ..... still a dick though .

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

Possibly an alleged racist tweet ? :rolleyes:    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/11/leigh-griffiths-wolves-racist-tweet

The FACT is he finished the season as joint top scorer.

A feat all the more remarkable when you consider how many were scored from substitue appearances !  Exceptional strike rate i would say . ..... still a dick though .

FACT (see, I can use capitals as well), he was on the bench 8 times.

You are saying that they benched him 8 times for a tweet he hadn't yet made? :wacko:

FACT, Gavin Reilly was our top scorer.... and we let him go cos he isn't good enough!

9 goals in 18 starts in the 3rd tier of English football with a massive club that won the league.....  hardly "remarkable" nor "exceptional"

FACT, he was struggling!

Just now, zico said:

FACT (see, I can use capitals as well), he was on the bench 8 times.

You are saying that they benched him 8 times for a tweet he hadn't yet made? :wacko:

FACT, Gavin Reilly was our top scorer.... and we let him go cos he isn't good enough!

9 goals in 18 starts in the 3rd tier of English football with a massive club that won the league.....  hardly "remarkable" nor "exceptional"

FACT, he was struggling!

Eh , they got rid of him after the tweet , he had been playing and scoring regularly before that .   I never said anything about them benching him for it ... those are your words.

Loved your "remarkable" and "exceptional " bit ( see i can use inverted commas as well :rolleyes: )

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, Johnny Rep said:

And, he doesn't play for us anymore. 

The clue is in the title- GENERAL St Mirren Discussion. For me and others , ex players come under this bracket.  

Edited by munoz

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

We all apologise for discussing Gavin Reilly.

In future, we will all pm you with our posts/threads and seek your permission before we post them on the forum.

No need to apologise, just don't see the sense in discussing a player that flattered to deceive. 

But obviously we have now discussed him and moving on.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rep said:

No need to apologise, just don't see the sense in discussing a player that flattered to deceive. 

But obviously we have now discussed him and moving on.

If you aren’t bothered about him then don’t read the thread. 

25 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Who was the last st mirren player you knew of that scored 30 goals in a season at any level???

I’m sure it was 22 goals he scored.

That being said, I think the last player to hit a similar number was Barry Lavety. So indeed it’s rare for us to have a player smashing home goals like that.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If you aren’t bothered about him then don’t read the thread. 

I’m sure it was 22 goals he scored.

That being said, I think the last player to hit a similar number was Barry Lavety. So indeed it’s rare for us to have a player smashing home goals like that.

It's my democratic right to read and quote what I like.

You want to blabber on about players who did absolutely nothing for us you batter on.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Rep said:

What league? Certainly no the premier.

Gavin’s goals were a big reason we returned to the Premier.

Just now, Dirty Sanchez said:

You used to be able to put Gavin Reilly's goal tally in perspective by pointing that 10 of them came in the cups against the likes of Lothian Thistle and Hearts Under 20s.

However, we'd have taken some of those 10 against East Kilbride, Edinburgh City and Albion Rovers. 

Can only score against what’s in front of you. We’ve seen many of our strikers fail to hit just 5 goals a season including cup games. Indeed Gavin still hit 11 of those in the league - only Lewis Morgan had a higher tally for us (14), and Gavin spent most of January onwards on the bench with Mullen in favour (who only managed 3 goals in over half a season).