Jump to content

Gavin Reilly


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Previously Jamie Vardy was non league, so whats your point

But we're not talking about Jamie Vardie. I just don't get all this fuss and fighting over Gavin Reilly.  Better players have left us without this much fuss. Gavin used us as a stepping stone from the word go  as he would only commit to a one year deal when signed. He got his move to Engerland so all the best to him and his young family. 

Here are his stats in all competitions.

70 goals in 8 years averaging 8.75 goals per season in all comps.  (I think) 

 

 

As of match played 28 April 2018
Appearances and goals by club, season and competition
Club Season League Scottish Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Queen of the South 2010–11[14] Scottish First Division 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
2011–12[15] 14 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 16 2
2012–13[16] Scottish Second Division 30 12 1 0 3 1 3[a] 0 37 13
2013–14[17] Scottish Championship 34 12 2 0 3 0 1[a] 0 40 12
2014–15[18] 32 13 3 2 1 0 3
0 39 15 Total 111 39 8 3 7 0 7 0 133 42 Gretna 2008 (loan) 2010–11[14] East of Scotland Football League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Heart of Midlothian 2015–16[19] Scottish Premiership 28 4 2 0 2 0 0 0 32 4 Dunfermline Athletic (loan) 2016–17[20] Scottish Championship 22 1 2 0 2 0 2[a] 0 28 2 St Mirren 2017–18[21] 35 22 2 5 4 3 3 3 44 22 Career total 196 55 14 8 16 3 12 3 237 70
Link to comment
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Seem to remember him going to the papers saying he never gave the offer sufficient  attention because his wife was due to give birth , which is fair enough that he considers his other half as much as he considers his football career , and thats the bit I cant understand , with such a young family , why move so far away from home ( unless his partner is from Bristol .

Tha's a really poor excuse for taking so long to make up his mind.

People have to make decisions on more than one thing all the time.

IMO he was holding out for a better offer elsewhere. Nothing wrong with it. He should just be honest about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Tha's a really poor excuse for taking so long to make up his mind.

People have to make decisions on more than one thing all the time.

IMO he was holding out for a better offer elsewhere. Nothing wrong with it. He should just be honest about that.

very much my opinion , only  I can see him quoting homesickness / wife struggled to adapt to life in England as his excuse , when he looks to get a move back North at Christmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Going on 80% of the Budgets- Eh - Yeah. Jack Ross has a bigger budget than Brendan

That would imply Sunderland are a better team than Celtic based on budget?  If budgets determine success of a club how does that explain Leicester winning the league with a fraction of the budgets of most of top half of the EPL?  How does that explain the rank rotten outcomes of Newcastle Utd (with 50k at home games) continually flirting with relegation?  Its as much to do with talent spotting and effective management as much as spending to succeed.  You won't convince me that a poorly performing  3rd Division team who have struggled for decades are a better team simply because they have a bigger budget (and likely debt).

Edited by nedflanders123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Mate, I am not setting myself up for anything. Its called my opinion. That's Stubbs should have kept him. As for this signing crap line, he is a human being not property of Saints. Rovers in a higher League have seen his potential, for all he would have cost he was worth a punt.

Even with new signings, I still think he was worth a one year deal, geez we have Ross Stewart in a 2 year deal

:unsure:...      Ross Stewart was worth a punt. :rolleyes:

Edited by pod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zico said:

Its an interesting question.

Jason Naismith just signed for Peterborough rather than Aberdeen so he clearly thinks so

Bristol Rovers average attendance last season was bigger than 7 Scots Prem clubs

Yes, he went to Peterborough - but for the wages.  If they offered twice or more than Aberdeen then why not.  We cannot compete (other than gruesome twosome) as clubs in England get a lot more in TV revenue.  Football is a short career and if Jason spends a  few years in the lower leagues earning more than he would have up here then good luck to him.  He can then move up the leagues if he performs well or come back to Scotland if it doesn't work out.  In the end, money talks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Yes, he went to Peterborough - but for the wages.  If they offered twice or more than Aberdeen then why not.  We cannot compete (other than gruesome twosome) as clubs in England get a lot more in TV revenue.  Football is a short career and if Jason spends a  few years in the lower leagues earning more than he would have up here then good luck to him.  He can then move up the leagues if he performs well or come back to Scotland if it doesn't work out.  In the end, money talks.

Of course it does, that's why I spent 10 miserable years offshore.  :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Gavin Reilly had the option to continue playing for us. He rejected it.
We offered an improved option for him to continue to play for us. He chose to take time to deliberate longer on that option while obviously waiting to see if any better options came up.
Time ran out on that option as we decided to move on.
Not sure what you are getting annoyed at the club for.

I think it's cos he's a dick...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

That would imply Sunderland are a better team than Celtic based on budget?  If budgets determine success of a club how does that explain Leicester winning the league with a fraction of the budgets of most of top half of the EPL?  How does that explain the rank rotten outcomes of Newcastle Utd (with 50k at home games) continually flirting with relegation?  Its as much to do with talent spotting and effective management as much as spending to succeed.  You won't convince me that a poorly performing  3rd Division team who have struggled for decades are a better team simply because they have a bigger budget (and likely debt).

Naw, its 99% to do with how big yer budget is.

Hence why, other than Leicester (who themselves had a massive budget and are owned by a £ billionaire), the Premiership winners always have the biggest or near biggest budget!

btw, Leigh Griffiths struggled in the English 3rd Division with eventual champions Wolves. They punted him half way through the season cos he was rubbish and he came up here and scored a barrowload of goals!

Interesting also, that the top 3 highest average attendances in the English 3rd Division that season were higher than every Scot Premiership club bar Celtic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zico said:

Naw, its 99% to do with how big yer budget is.

Hence why, other than Leicester (who themselves had a massive budget and are owned by a £ billionaire), the Premiership winners always have the biggest or near biggest budget!

btw, Leigh Griffiths struggled in the English 3rd Division with eventual champions Wolves. They punted him half way through the season cos he was rubbish and he came up here and scored a barrowload of goals!

Interesting also, that the top 3 highest average attendances in the English 3rd Division that season were higher than every Scot Premiership club bar Celtic.

 

Well thats not exactly true now is it ?   

Griffiths was sold for approx 10 x the value Wolves paid for him and when he was sold halfway through the season he was Wolves leading goalscorer by quite some way. In fact despite having completed only half a season , he still finished up joint top scorer.  Hardly struggling .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, zico said:

Naw, its 99% to do with how big yer budget is.

Hence why, other than Leicester (who themselves had a massive budget and are owned by a £ billionaire), the Premiership winners always have the biggest or near biggest budget!

btw, Leigh Griffiths struggled in the English 3rd Division with eventual champions Wolves. They punted him half way through the season cos he was rubbish and he came up here and scored a barrowload of goals!

Interesting also, that the top 3 highest average attendances in the English 3rd Division that season were higher than every Scot Premiership club bar Celtic.

 

You reckon Leicester had a budget even remotely close to Man U, Man City, Livepool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs? 

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Well thats not exactly true now is it ?   

Griffiths was sold for approx 10 x the value Wolves paid for him and when he was sold halfway through the season he was Wolves leading goalscorer by quite some way. In fact despite having completed only half a season , he still finished up joint top scorer.  Hardly struggling .

No, I'd say it was totally true!

Why else would they sell him half way through the season?

He was left on the bench 8 times in the first half of that season before they punted him and he scored only 9 times in open play.

They got shot of him and brought in a far cheaper replacement who scored more goals in less games!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Soctty said:

If you difference isn't huge, why is this only the second time in 6 years - including years when Rangers, Hibs and It's were in the playoffs - that the Championship team has prevailed?

Regardless of the difference, I think we were always going to sign at least one striker. 

If Reilly wanted to stay desperately, he'd have signed the deal he was offered first, or the improved offer that was made. The fact is he wasn't desperate to stay and his agent has got him a decent deal down south. Good luck to him.

Lastly, why not wait til we see our new signings in action before setting yourself up for egg on your face?

One reason might be that the odds are stacked in the Premiership team's favour. They are automatically in the final and play the second leg on the final at their home ground - an advantage should it go to extra time and penalties. Some of the Championship sides facing the Premiership side in the final might have already played 4 play-off games prior to the final over two legs at the end of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You reckon Leicester had a budget even remotely close to Man U, Man City, Livepool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs? 

:lol:

No.

You reckon that Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal & Chelsea don't have budgets far larger than anyone else? :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

One reason might be that the odds are stacked in the Premiership team's favour. They are automatically in the final and play the second leg on the final at their home ground - an advantage should it go to extra time and penalties. Some of the Championship sides facing the Premiership side in the final might have already played 4 play-off games prior to the final over two legs at the end of the season.

The Premiership team would have still been playing its final league games while the play offs were going on, so the biggest amount of extra games would've been 2, with the play off semi final played around the same time as the final two Premiership games.

Regardless, if there wasn't much difference then surely the championship would prevail more often.

Would you have been confident of us competing in the Premiership with the team/squad we got promoted with? I know I wouldn't - despite romping the league by 12 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...