International Team Kits

pozbaird

Watching the World Cup has re-ignited a question in the recesses of my brain... what’s the deal with nations who play in a kit that doesn’t contain the colours of their flag? I have a vague idea about one or two of them, but no real definitive knowledge. Seeing as how I’m bored, there’s nae’ Stubbsy endorsed signings, and everything is all a bit Wank Tank at the moment... without Googling, anyone clever enough to know about any of these, or any I may have missed?

England

Norn Iron

Japan

Italy

Germany

Netherlands

Australia

New Zealand

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Watching the World Cup has re-ignited a question in the recesses of my brain... what’s the deal with nations who play in a kit that doesn’t contain the colours of their flag? I have a vague idea about one or two of them, but no real definitive knowledge. Seeing as how I’m bored, there’s nae’ Stubbsy endorsed signings, and everything is all a bit Wank Tank at the moment... without Googling, anyone clever enough to know about any of these, or any I may have missed?

England

Norn Iron

Japan

Italy

Germany

Netherlands

Australia

New Zealand

I believe the Netherlands play in that colour because it is their national colour . Scotland play in the colour they play in because the original Scotland strip was just a Queens Park strip with a Scotland badge on it , since all the players in the original Scotland squad played for Queens Park. .

ETA - I believe that Italy and Australia also have a national colour for sports teams as their national cycling squads play in the same colours. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

4 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I believe the Netherlands play in that colour because it is their national colour . Scotland play in the colour they play in because the original Scotland strip was just a Queens Park strip with a Scotland badge on it , since all the players in the original Scotland squad played for Queens Park. .

The Scottish flag is blue and white, the Scottish national team play in blue shirts and white shorts. Unless I’m missing something. I was more wondering about the likes of Japan, who have a red and white flag, always play in blue, or Germany, who play in black and white, having a national flag that is black, red and gold / yellow. There must be historical reasons for such a departure.

Edited by pozbaird

Scotland shirts aren’t the same shade of blue as the saltire. Scotland’s socks have traditionally been red, there’s no red in the saltire.

Scotland adopted the original colours of Queens Park as per saintnextlifetime

ETA - I believe that Italy and Australia also have a national colour for sports teams as their national cycling squads play in the same colours. .

Dark blue seems to have been adopted as the colour of Scottish national sports teams as well, despite it not being the colour of the saltire.

Wales only have the red from the dragon, the majority colour in their flag.

Northern Ireland and England also don’t follow the colour of their flags.

Its the rest of the world which is out of line in terms of using their flag colours for their strip.

Apart from Germany, Italy, Holland, Australia, etc, etc.......

43 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Ah, stupid old me has got it now. It’s a co-incidence we play in blue and white and have a blue and white flag. So happened Queens Park played originally in blue and that’s where we got it, not from the national flag colours. Right ye’ are. Apology offered, more caffeine needed. :)

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Ah, stupid old me has got it now. It’s a co-incidence we play in blue and white and have a blue and white flag. So happened Queens Park played originally in blue and that’s where we got it, not from the national flag colours. Right ye’ are. Apology offered, more caffeine needed. :)

No apology needed , Paul . The fact that Scotland have blue in the flag and the team wear blue is a coincidence more than anything as it is that colour out of historical reference . The Saltire is supposed to be a different colour of blue . Last night England played in red which is certainly in their flag and they usually play in white which is also in their flag . .but I have seen them play in blue which they may be drawing from the Union flag. .

I think in both the Scotland and England cases colours are also taken from elements of their badges, hence previous yellow Scotland kits and the blue that England use is (I have no doubt) derived from the Union flag but is also the colour of the heraldic leopards in their badge.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:58 PM, zico said:

Scotland shirts aren’t the same shade of blue as the saltire. Scotland’s socks have traditionally been red, there’s no red in the saltire.

Scotland adopted the original colours of Queens Park as per saintnextlifetime

Zico.  When I was a lad the Lion Rampant was used rather than the Saktire. Not sure that helps at all. 

Just now, Mykey said:
16 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
Question: When did Scotland change from Lion Rampant to The Saktire

As I understand it, the saltire is scotlands flag and the lion rampant is a royal banner

Thanks Mykey. Ties in with what I thought. 60+ years ago it was the Lion Rampant that was waved.