Photographs of The Past and Present

shull

5 minutes ago, pod said:

Old Paisley baths or sauna.  Used to have a male and female pool on certain days.   Cattle market to the right.

Female pool had a diving platform...................much more fun. 

Also had a "wee" pool, with a diving board as I recall? 

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Also had a "wee" pool, with a diving board as I recall? 

There used to be the Dolphins Swimming Club held there on a Monday night in the early 1970's.

Stack of us came in s hired Bus from Barrhead.

11 hours ago, jaybee said:

Paisley cross to the right and the old cinema that burned down killing many kids behind the buildings front of shot

Cross to the left.  Cinema house in actual fact didn't burn down. There was no fire. It was the smoke and stampede that resulted in the poor kids being crushed at the exit doors.

Which incidentlly opened inwards.  It was one of a couple of disaster that led to fire door regulations.

11 hours ago, jaybee said:

this development along with the one on Cotton street which house the police and council are probably the two worst building on Planet Earth .............Debate!!!!

In our eyes now, but modernistic at the time.

9 hours ago, pod said:
21 hours ago, jaybee said:

Paisley cross to the right and the old cinema that burned down killing many kids behind the buildings front of shot

Cross to the left.  Cinema house in actual fact didn't burn down. There was no fire. It was the smoke and stampede that resulted in the poor kids being crushed at the exit doors.

Which incidentlly opened inwards.  It was one of a couple of disaster that led to fire door regulations.

Now that you mention that; it vaguely tweaks strings in my mind (all that's left that works) sad all the same even though it was a wee while ago and I definitely hadn't heard that re the fire doors. cheers for that.

9 hours ago, pod said:

go on a give in?  :)

Old Royal Alexandra Infirmary.

So if I recall correctly the front was top end of Nelson road and that was the back of it, the road there ran on up into Glenburn  .....I think  . perhaps .... maybe  ...or not.  :wub:

9 hours ago, pod said:

this development along with the one on Cotton street which house the police and council are probably the two worst building on Planet Earth .............Debate!!!!

In our eyes now, but modernistic at the time.

To some perhaps; but never to me, I thought it looked like they couldn't be bothered to build a tower block and the lazy sods just built it on it's side, ruined the entrance to Paisley from Paisley road west,  or is Glasgow road, can never remember, coming into Paisley from Hillington anyway.

8 minutes ago, jaybee said:

So if I recall correctly the front was top end of Nelson road and that was the back of it, the road there ran on up into Glenburn  .....I think  . perhaps .... maybe  ...or not.  :wub:

Looking at it from Neilston Road, entrance on the right hand corner was the only one i've used on visits.   

8 minutes ago, jaybee said:

To some perhaps; but never to me, I thought it looked like they couldn't be bothered to build a tower block and the lazy sods just built it on it's side, ruined the entrance to Paisley from Paisley road west,  or is Glasgow road, can never remember, coming into Paisley from Hillington anyway.

A tower block would have cast a shadow over the Abbey.