Kilmarnock v St Mirren League Cup 13/7/18

shull

Well done to the fans who travelled last night. Couldn't get there myself but watched on TV and the drum and choir made themselves heard throughout.

Fine opening performance by our team. Coulson, King, Mullen and the two Cammys were impressive. Jack Baird didn't have his best game, but it's a little early to write him off at this level, I think. Kpekawa was praised on TV for some important interventions, but I thought he was muscled off the ball on a few occasions and needs to bulk up a bit to play in that position.

All in all, a really good start by a team who only met each other a few days ago. If Stubbs adds the players he keeps talking about, we could do OK this season.

COYS! 

Thought that was very encouraging. Midfeild and full backs were excellent, especially Coulson and Flynn. Smith played well in flashes too, but really should have scored. I thought up front Mullen gave everything. I can see why managers like him, he performs a thankless test well, and with gusto. Again, probably should have scored, but I don't think he'll be written off after last night, I can see him surprising a few folk this season.

Main concern was probably the centre halfs who looked a bit weak at times, and dodgy under the high ball (an age old problem for us) and anything over the top or down the channels. Still, that can be worked on, and it was the first time they'd played together, all in all a very positive performance last night from the team.

57 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Surely Eckersley would be better as he has experience?

Coulson has no experience so he can’t be good?

Aye very good. I've posted about the balance of the squad - all our signings bar Paul McGinn have said they are all making the step up to full time, first team premiership level. Normally managers will mix up youth and experienced signings. I haven't said any of our new signings are no good because they are non-league or part time. Stubbs said pre-match on BT Sport that most of the new signings were on the bench at the moment because he didn't think it would be fair to play them at this stage while they are still making the transition from part-time football to full-time and they aren't ready yet to play in a competitive game against a premiership team. That says to me we have made educated punts on lots of our signings - great if most of them work out and they have been well scouted.

When Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan broke into the first team they all had no experience and were all given time by the majority of the fans.

Eckersley was one of our squad who has played at this level before and done fine, and he seemed to be well thought of on and off the pitch.

Summer Football – what an enjoyable experience that was last night. T shirts, sunshine, daylight and no fecking wind, rain, ice or snow to chill me to the bone. Funnily enough I still had a Bovril. I’m a creature of habit.

To all you guys and gals who didn’t go because you couldn’t be arsed (I know a lot of people couldn’t go for real reasons) you missed a fantastic experience. The St Mirren Boys (and Girls) made all the noise and I think someone brought an amplifier for the Drum. The acoustics in the Chadwick Stand were something else.

On seeing the team sheet, I was as bemused as most fans to see only two of Stubbs new signings in the Starting line-up. Kirkpatrick and Macpherson seemed out of place and that was certainly a talking point in the Killie Sports Bar which is located under their main stand. £2.50 a pint, that was a result on its own.

The first 20 minutes were surreal. After reuniting with buds not seen since the Falkirk away day and acknowledging all the old faces in the crowd it was down to the action. It was like being in the championship again. St Mirren Dominated, “What a sh***y home support” bellowed out from the North bank who seemed to number a lot more than 823 and the 12 or so Killie fans who bothered to reply were as quiet as the tumbleweed blowing across the Livingstone End of the Tony Macaroni. The St Mirren fans and players looked more like a premier league outfit than Killie. I had to take a reality check to ensure I wasn’t dreaming. Bairdy brought me back to reality at one point but Sammy saved the day and well you know the rest.

Penalty shoot out Brilliant. (Some shocking penalties though) Well done Sammy!

I really enjoyed the game last night and thought the boys did good. Well done Alan Stubbs.

Don’t want to get too excited BUT…..

ON OUR WAY - WE’RE BACK

Watched on TV last night with my usual caveat of results in pre season games (i class this. Group stage as) dont mean much if you win/lose by two or less against comparable opponents. If you win/lose by four or more against teams at your level then, and only then does it tell you something.

all that said we played a good pacy game moving from back to front quickly, and to feet! It was as i said only a pre season game, but it really highlights the fact Ross had no plan B that enabled us to play like that, and given most of the team last night were his signings it shows, at least with us how limited his tactics are.

we took the game to Killie for 80 of the 90 minutes, and a bit like Engerland v Coatia it was surprising which team looked jaded! Coulson looks good, Smith adapted well to playing without Morgan, Reilly and Magennis. Sammy looked comfortable, big king Cole looks a tidy ball player and when fully fit will be an asset. McPherson & Kirkpatrick shone, as did Flynn. King looked a handful for any team in the Prem. Paul McGinn looked a different player to the plastic whistle version. Areas for serious concern... this league is beyond big Bairdy, he will get torn aoart like that almost every week, and i think the root of it is his own self belief, or lack therof? He's got the turning speed and circle of a feckin super tanker. I hope the new recruits are ready in central defence. And ladt night showed that Mullen can only score when the ball, and the keeper are both stationary. I know Stubbzo is on it, but we sorely need a couple of real strikers in, and let wee Danny go out of his misery.

so a good start all round, nothing to get carried away with.. except oh... What about all these posters being so negative beforehand about our team and Manager Div..?

surely the feckers should all be corralled into the Sin Bin..! 

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Watched on TV last night with my usual caveat of results in pre season games (i class this. Group stage as) dont mean much if you win/lose by two or less against comparable opponents. If you win/lose by four or more against teams at your level then, and only then does it tell you something.

all that said we played a good pacy game moving from back to front quickly, and to feet! It was as i said only a pre season game, but it really highlights the fact Ross had no plan B that enabled us to play like that, and given most of the team last night were his signings it shows, at least with us how limited his tactics are.

we took the game to Killie for 80 of the 90 minutes, and a bit like Engerland v Coatia it was surprising which team looked jaded! Coulson looks good, Smith adapted well to playing without Morgan, Reilly and Magennis. Sammy looked comfortable, big king Cole looks a tidy ball player and when fully fit will be an asset. McPherson & Kirkpatrick shone, as did Flynn. King looked a handful for any team in the Prem. Paul McGinn looked a different player to the plastic whistle version. Areas for serious concern... this league is beyond big Bairdy, he will get torn aoart like that almost every week, and i think the root of it is his own self belief, or lack therof? He's got the turning speed and circle of a feckin super tanker. I hope the new recruits are ready in central defence. And ladt night showed that Mullen can only score when the ball, and the keeper are both stationary. I know Stubbzo is on it, but we sorely need a couple of real strikers in, and let wee Danny go out of his misery.

so a good start all round, nothing to get carried away with.. except oh... What about all these posters being so negative beforehand about our team and Manager Div..?

surely the feckers should all be corralled into the Sin Bin..! 

Disagree totally about Mullen, I thought he led the line really well and gave Killie back line no peace. But for that outstanding save from

McDonald he would have had a goal that he deserved. Unless we sign someone who is a 20 goals plus striker with a pedigree

then Mullen would be in my Team every time.

Just my opinion........and that 20 goal striker would be most welcome :P

1 hour ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Disagree totally about Mullen, I thought he led the line really well and gave Killie back line no peace. But for that outstanding save from

McDonald he would have had a goal that he deserved. Unless we sign someone who is a 20 goals plus striker with a pedigree

Its all about opinions...

for me Mullen always looks like the song "Busy.. Doing Nothing". He runs around a lot, bit like Dill the dog from the Herbs always chasing his tail, and actually achieves very little in end results. And given that Stubbzo has said he is bringing in a couple of Marquee signing strikers, i would expect Mullen to be offski, or dropped.

we did let a 20 plus goal striker walk!

1 hour ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Indeed.

It's bit more difficult to score against 'keepers in the SPFL than the likes of Lothian Thistle, Hearts colts and 1st division clubs.:whistle

Only three goals less against championship teams and he [Mullen] played half the season for vastly inferior team. Although he did have a month out injured for them also.

Thank f**k we kept the best striker we had, in Stubbs' opinion.:thumbsup

In Stubbs we trust.:wink:

Edited by FTOF

53 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Only three goals less against championship teams and he [Mullen] played half the season for vastly inferior team. Although he did have a month out injured for them also.

Thank f**k we kept the best striker we had, in Stubbs' opinion.:thumbsup

In Stubbs we trust.:wink:

In Stubbzo we do trust! Lets see what happens by the time the transfer window closes?

3 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

To all you guys and gals who didn’t go because you couldn’t be arsed (I know a lot of people couldn’t go for real reasons).

I couldn’t be arsed going. I couldn’t be arsed travelling from Cumbernauld to Kilmarnock and back on a Friday night for a game being shown live on TV, on a shite pitch, with a completely untested and incomplete St Mirren side, who, having been blown out by Bolton, were tasting action for the first time and could have been pish, with the match ending up serving merely as a warm-up. Add in the fact I believe mid-July group stages are a joke, then sorry, but my reasons for not attending are very much real. 

The rest of your post I thought was excellent, and the St Mirren fans who attended came over loud and clear on TV and fair play to everyone who was arsed going. I was arsed enough to renew my ST and car park pass, I’ll be arsed enough to buy the catering and merchandise, might be arsed enough to go to corporate, and might be arsed to go to some away league games.

I couldn’t be arsed last night, so while you may be looking down your nose at me for not having a real reason for not going, and I quote using the word real, sorry, but we’ll need to agree to disagree on that one.

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I couldn’t be arsed going.

Poor Poz. I almost played the couldn't be arsed card myself but in the end I relented. My daughter really wanted to go and she can drive so with a designated driver and the prospect of a  pint or two for me, I couldn't I really say no.

I'm glad I did though. July football is very pleasant and the game was exciting for a 0-0. Mysterious team selection and the  unexpected performance made it even sweeter. The  last ten minutes were a little nervous and winning the shootout was the icing on the cake.

I'm up for some more of this July football and I'm definitely going to be arsed going Tuesday. 

You have every right not to be arsed but by not being arsed you missed a good night or "you missed a fantastic experience." as I said in my original post. Do go to away league games by the way. Away games are much more fun.

Be arsed or don't be arsed that is your prerogative. I'm not looking down my nose at you Bud that would make my eyes squint.

Thanks for the POZ-itive part about the excellent post though. Much appreciated and mid July football is really quite pleasant I do recommend you try it.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
You have to be arsed about capital letters in the wrong place

6 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Poor Poz. I almost played the couldn't be arsed card myself but in the end I relented. My daughter really wanted to go and she can drive so with a designated driver and the prospect of a  Pint or two for me, I couldn't I really say no.

I'm Glad I did though. July football is very pleasant and the game was exciting for a 0-0. Mysterious team selection and the  unexpected performance made it even sweeter. The  Last ten minutes were a little nervous and winning the shootout was the icing on the cake.

I'm up for some more of this July Football and I'm definitely going to be arsed going Tuesday. 

You have every right not to be arsed but by not being arsed you missed a good night or "you missed a fantastic experience." as I said in my original post. Do go to Away league games by the way. Away games are more fun.

Be arsed or don't be arsed that is your prerogative. I'm not looking down my nose at you Bud that would make my eyes squint.

Thanks for the POZ-itive part about the excellent post though. Much appreciated and mid July Football is really quite pleasant I do recommend you try it.

Started reading...but couldn’t be arsed finishing. :P 

17 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Poor Poz. I almost played the couldn't be arsed card myself but in the end I relented. My daughter really wanted to go and she can drive so with a designated driver and the prospect of a  pint or two for me, I couldn't I really say no.

I'm glad I did though. July football is very pleasant and the game was exciting for a 0-0. Mysterious team selection and the  unexpected performance made it even sweeter. The  last ten minutes were a little nervous and winning the shootout was the icing on the cake.

I'm up for some more of this July football and I'm definitely going to be arsed going Tuesday. 

You have every right not to be arsed but by not being arsed you missed a good night or "you missed a fantastic experience." as I said in my original post. Do go to away league games by the way. Away games are much more fun.

Thanks for the POZ-itive part about the excellent post though. Much appreciated and mid July football is really quite pleasant I do recommend you try it.

It's not just summer football -it's cup football.  I will be there on Tuesday.