St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

Will be interesting to see Stubbs line up today as we are not far away from start of the league season.  Wonder if he will stick with Baird and Cole as centre backs ? If he doesn’t fancy Gary Mac then fair enough he is the manager but in terms of a ball winner in the air for me Gary Mac is the best that we have currently available.

3 minutes ago, Dare said:

Will be interesting to see Stubbs line up today as we are not far away from start of the league season.  Wonder if he will stick with Baird and Cole as centre backs ? If he doesn’t fancy Gary Mac then fair enough he is the manager but in terms of a ball winner in the air for me Gary Mac is the best that we have currently available.

On the official site preview that Gary Mac is injured anyway - Kirkpatrick and Magennis still out too.

Strange anyone would want to miss this game because of Tuesday , Jack Ross a hero returns bringing a mass of Sunderland fans should make for a right good atmosphere. There is a  a large ship pulled into Rothesay today with 1,000 passengers coming ashore so I'm for a busy day will just need to wait to watch the game on buddie vision. 

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Strange anyone would want to miss this game because of Tuesday , Jack Ross a hero returns bringing a mass of Sunderland fans should make for a right good atmosphere. There is a  a large ship pulled into Rothesay today with 1,000 passengers coming ashore so I'm for a busy day will just need to wait to watch the game on buddie vision. 

What’s strange about it? If anyone thinks ‘Friendly - £12 - we were shite on Tuesday - fcuk it’, then that’s entirely their perogative. Some though, think some fans who choose not to go to a pre-season friendly can ‘do one’. Simply because they want to do something else that the poster doesn’t like.

I’ve read a lot of posts down the years on here from folk who say they weren’t going because it was their kids football final or something. Personally, I don’t have kids, I don’t like them. Annoying wee rugrats...

Therefore, all parents who support St Mirren can simply do one. :double

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What’s strange about it? If anyone thinks ‘Friendly - £12 - we were shite on Tuesday - fcuk it’, then that’s entirely their perogative. Some though, think fans who choose not to go to a pre-season friendly can ‘do one’.

It's an individual choice I'm only saying some are taking the huff because of Tuesday.  I would put money on today's game being much better Stubbs will not tolerate another performance like that players will have to stand up today that's what will make it a good game. Not too far off 2,000 Sunderland fans making the trip up here and they have not had the best of starts. 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's an individual choice I'm only saying some are taking the huff because of Tuesday.  I would put money on today's game being much better Stubbs will not tolerate another performance like that players will have to stand up today that's what will make it a good game. Not too far off 2,000 Sunderland fans making the trip up here and they have not had the best of starts. 

Fantastic away support. Total respect.

Taking my two eldest kids to the game today and they are both very excited about seeing the return of Jack ross as am I. His team gave  us 18 months of genuine real excitement of attending games the likes of which I haven't experienced on a weekly basis since1999/2000. It was a joy to be part of and they played their part in galvanising our great club again. I will forever be grateful for that.

Taking my kids and a pal each to enjoy what should be a decent encounter with a large vocal home and away support.  I think there will be a lot of love from all the stands. I think the pubs in Paisley before and after the game will busy and fun with some good banter between buds and mackem fans.

Slightly disappointed that the club are charging £6 for kids got this one surely u12's could have been free of £2 as I am sure this will stop a few people attending.

saints to edge it 2-1 assuming Stephen starts.

PS I think both home and away kits are terrible and won't be buying one this year.

I just don't get the JR love-in , I really don't. He did half a job with us then baled , even Fergie hung about long enough to see us established in the top league , he took over when we were at our lowest ebb and turned it round far more dramatically than Ross , yet he still got pelters on his return. Ross took us to the top division , and left us with a squad that would not have survived .The pish he spouted last season about him being a nice fit for St Mirren and that he loved the club was just that , pish. I hope he fails big time !

Okay. Here we go again. Doing what Saturdays were meant for don't really give a shit about JR He did a job for us but as so many have pointed out He didn't give a shit about anything but himself in the end. Jack Ross is Dead long live Alan Stubbs. Long live sat afternoon footie even if it just a meaningless friendly let's see a good performance from Stubbs signings to make up for Tuesday. I'll see some of you in the pub. COYS

Ah well, hill walk cancelled, so might drag myself along to this after all.

Can't pretend that I'm too enthusiastic about it after Tuesday, so hoping for a wee boost with a much improved showing.

Not especially interested in Jack's return, but will certainly welcome him back. Anyone who is churlish about the man after what he achieved with us is just being a bit daft.

Today is more about the test against a bigger club. I suspect we'll see a much more committed performance after the debacle on Tuesday.

21 hours ago, Drew said:

This is getting bagged in favour of walking a hill.

I'd only get flashbacks of Tuesday evening anyway.

What is your hill of choice Drew?

If you’re looking for something not too far from Paisley I’d recommend  Beinn An Lochan just beyond the Rest and be Thankful. 

It’s a wee stoater and only a few feet short of a Munro. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

46 minutes ago, billyg said:

I just don't get the JR love-in , I really don't. He did half a job with us then baled , even Fergie hung about long enough to see us established in the top league , he took over when we were at our lowest ebb and turned it round far more dramatically than Ross , yet he still got pelters on his return. Ross took us to the top division , and left us with a squad that would not have survived .The pish he spouted last season about him being a nice fit for St Mirren and that he loved the club was just that , pish. I hope he fails big time !

At the end of the day, absolutely nobody would have turned down the move to Sunderland and the pay rise if in Jack's shoes at that stage of his career.  The move could have been handled better, but shit happens sometimes, and we did get a compensation payment at least.

We could very very easily be Raith Rovers position and preparing for a season in League 1 today.  It seems incredible to not recognise that and give Jack and James a decent welcome back.

Edited by Kemp

47 minutes ago, billyg said:

Dear oh dear. That’s some heavy childlike bitterness there Billy for a man of your years. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What is your hill of choice Drew?

If you’re looking for something not too far from Paisley I’d recommend  Beinn An Lochan just beyond the Rest and be Thankful. 

It’s a wee stoater and only a few feet short of a Munro. 

Funnily enough, we were headed up to the Alps had my mate not fallen off his bike yesterday.

I've walked Beinn An Lochan a couple of times, and agree with you that it is a great hill.

My all-time favourite has to be Bla Bheinn on Skye. A stunning hill with breathtaking views. Can't wait to walk it again.

I fully appreciate what JR did for us. Money talks unfortunately.

I'll applaud JR at the start of the match, then that's me moved on, as he now manages another club.

Stubbs is now our manager and he will be the one getting my full support.

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

Funnily enough, we were headed up to the Alps had my mate not fallen off his bike yesterday.

I've walked Beinn An Lochan a couple of times, and agree with you that it is a great hill.

My all-time favourite has to be Bla Bheinn on Skye. A stunning hill with breathtaking views. Can't wait to walk it again.

Aye Bla Bheinn is a cracker. Great view of the Cuillin from the top.

My favourite is An Teallach in Dundonnell, with the Corrag Bhuide pinnacles. Great fun. Beinn Alligin a beauty too.

11 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It moved a few years ago. However I think it has been forced to shut down after a fire.

https://www.renfrewshire24.co.uk/2018/04/03/hamishes-hoose-on-paisley-high-street-to-close/

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Re-opened a couple of months ago under new management.

According to McG, at least three trialists involved today.

Ha ha. I see. I thought they’d just got it wrong!

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Funny old world innit’. I spend four hours hitting a wee white ball around some field, trying to get it into a hole, while wearing spiky shoes and wondering why I can’t hit it like Rory McIlroy... and I’m branded a Pringle wearing wanker (fair cop actually)....

Then, you are talking about nice hills, and I’m thinking ‘what the actual fcuk’.

If ever the phrase ‘each to their own’ came into play, it’s here. :)

25 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It moved a few years ago. However I think it has been forced to shut down after a fire.

https://www.renfrewshire24.co.uk/2018/04/03/hamishes-hoose-on-paisley-high-street-to-close/

It opened again.  Doesn't seem anything like the Hamishes Hoose at the previous location.  I wasn't too keen on it during my only visit.