St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I haven’t judged any of the new signings. In regard to the point that today’s team won’t be the team that faces Dundee, I merely posed the question if that will be because of the signings Stubbs himself talked about, or will it be more trialists of the type fielded today.

Your point caller is? Please show me where I have said Player X, Y or Z is a dud, and the manager is a dud.

pozbaird getting ready to judge the new signings!

21516_Blackcapjudge.jpg

I left at 0-5 as thats not my idea of fun on a Saturday.

So far, the only decent player Stubbs has brought in is Coulson and I’m not even sure if he’s a very good defender. Rogers looks awful, Kpekwa is overweight, unfit, garbage, King and Cooke are nowhere near good enough either. The triallists are honking and he’s trying to ruin last years POY by playing him out of position even though the formation he’s playing needs a No.10.

There are no goals, no width, no pace, no creativity and the defence is all over the place.

Three games in and we’ve scored one goal from open play (against a real diddy team).

This team needs, at least, 4 or 5 starters to be brought in to give us a fighting chance. We will not survive by filling the dressing room with English non-league and lower league shite that haven’t played many actual football matches in 3 years.

11 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

The decision to give Stubbs a 3 year contract could end up being a costly one.

The decision to give Stubbs any contract at SMFC is a costly one.

I really hope I am wrong on this but nothing I have seen since making that point weeks ago on this forum has changed.

He failed at Hibs and Rotherham and has never managed at Premiership level.

Of the candidates for the job the vast majority of SMFC fans wanted him over other managers who had successfully managed at Premiership level

Well the La Manga trip went extremely well punted a back up keeper for another got rid of Hippo told McKenzie McShane and Eckserley to find new clubs meanwhile we are saddled with recruits from the lower depths of English Football and are according to Stubbs awaiting big arrivals who will need time to gel prior to first league game in two weeks.Great planning optimistic I am not.Fear this is all going tits up.

It's pre season ffs! We have trialists playing. Young boys playing. New players still to get to know teammates & surroundings. The opposition have f**k knows how many times the budget we have. Wring your knickers out

I’ll wring my knickers out if you remove your rose tinted specs and give me a swally of what you are drinking !!

Simple question. Between that shambles and Tuesdays game against the Rose & Crown pub team , how many of the players brought in look even half decent and up to the task ?

eta : your comment on respective budgets ? How about ours compared to Spartans .?

Not much you can say except absolutely dire. Why Mullin was playing right wing back is a puzzle. Everyone of his signings except Coulson have been so far absolutely honking. King was awful. Stubbs is letting Mackenzie go. He's a better player than the 2 CB he brought in put together. Still waiting on his marquee signings as he was waiting for The World Cup to finish. What world cup Ice Dancing. Tactics woeful the back 4 were so far back they were nearly sitting in the south stand. Hope we've not made a mistake with this guy. But I have bad feeling and I'm not the only one. Embarrassing

Heard today some comparisions with Tommy Craig signings like Callum Ball and James Marwood. The fact is though, putting the trialists to one side, most of the players involved today (11 out of 15) were Jack Ross signings or came through the Academy.

We're still a long way away from having Alan Stubbs' team. The Stokes and Johnson deals falling through has obviously put us on the backfoot in terms of recruitment.

Also, I think we need to get Heaton - Kpekawa playing together in central defence ASAP.

Well the La Manga trip went extremely well punted a back up keeper for another got rid of Hippo told McKenzie McShane and Eckserley to find new clubs meanwhile we are saddled with recruits from the lower depths of English Football and are according to Stubbs awaiting big arrivals who will need time to gel prior to first league game in two weeks.Great planning optimistic I am not.Fear this is all going tits up.

If McKenzie and Eckersley are fit they should go right into the team v QP on Tuesday. Not saying Coulson should be dropped but perhaps moved forward into left midfield?

You could actually drop both Baird and Kpekwa, slot big GMac in and hat would be an upgrade on what I’ve watched so far.

I can’t remember any championship winning side being so ruthlessly and unnecessarily dismantled as this one.

The “feelgood factor” from a 0-0 draw at Rugby Park has worn out pretty quickly. Stubbs will be feeling it tonight. We really need a win on Tuesday night.

The honest appraisal of the playing squad from what we've seen so far is a shambolic, unbalanced group of strangers and journeymen punctuated by a couple of decent quality players.

Overall? Nowhere near good enough to survive in the top league. I can honestly say I feel a couple of these guys are going to have very short and expensive (to the club) careers that will see them farmed out or mutually consented in quite swift fashion.

The other worry is that we've missed the boat in a big way for genuine quality signings. The league starts in two weeks, the pool of available free talent is getting smaller and smaller by the day and we're rapidly approaching that all too familiar situation where all that's left are the 5 to 3 dregs like those that were on trial with us today.

We've seriously got to pull something out of the hat and quickly or it's going to make 2014/15 look like a golden era.

As for the trialists , I would assume they were given time with the squad this week at training . If so , what the f**k did Stubbs see to suggest any of them might be worth dirtying a match day jersey ?

Patterson was f**king honking ....bring back Ball and Marwood !!
The Big no 22 looked like he had turned up at seed hill for a kick about with his mates .
f**k knows about number three , the game was long gone by the time he came on so I suppose well cut him a bit of slack [emoji849]

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

As for the trialists , I would assume they were given time with the squad this week at training . If so , what the f**k did Stubbs see to suggest any of them might be worth dirtying a match day jersey ?

Patterson was f**king honking ....bring back Ball and Marwood !!
The Big no 22 looked like he had turned up at seed hill for a kick about with his mates .
f**k knows about number three , the game was long gone by the time he came on so I suppose well cut him a bit of slack emoji849.png

No quarter given. The ball fell to him 22 yards from goal with a clear sight and he decided that instead of taking it into the box on his left, he'd cut back into the right where the only Sunderland player was standing and promptly lose it.

All 3 weren't up to the standard. All 3 shouldn't be seen again.

6 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Not much you can say except absolutely dire. Why Mullin was playing right wing back is a puzzle. Everyone of his signings except Coulson have been so far absolutely honking. King was awful. Stubbs is letting Mackenzie go. He's a better player than the 2 CB he brought in put together. Still waiting on his marquee signings as he was waiting for The World Cup to finish. What world cup Ice Dancing. Tactics woeful the back 4 were so far back they were nearly sitting in the south stand. Hope we've not made a mistake with this guy. But I have bad feeling and I'm not the only one. Embarrassing

big mistake. 

As bad as it was I’ll wait to see how we play against Dundee then I’ll pass judgment.

This is true. If we beat Dundee this game will be quickly forgotten.

That Dundee game is starting to look pretty important actually...