St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If this was the game which blew away any residual cobwebs of complacency after our promotion then so be it.

The reality is that we wont be facing teams like this each week.

Or Lowland League Teams like Spartans.

1 minute ago, BanburyBud said:

Perhaps you are right mate. But I only speak through my passion and frustration of being a fan.
As you know I live out with the town but I bought into the Jack Ross ‘on our way’, bandwagon and rightly so, because I want what’s best for our club.
But today’s game reaction (you were there, I wasn’t, played more to Jack’s ego as opposed to any benefit of our club.
What I would say would this game have taken place had jack Ross not left St Mirren for Sunderland?
I do not wish for a moment to cause offence to anyone. I’m just merely stating my personal opinion and feelings

No offense given bud. No-one doubts Jack the football manager. He will go far. Totally get that his departure leaves you feeling a bit like one does half an hour after a Chinese meal - a bit empty. Unlike Alex Ferguson, Jim Clunie, Rickie McFarlane and even wee Danny. Legends.

His “starting position” was to inherit a title winning side, genuine optimism among the fans and a bond between players and supporters as good as any time in my 40 years supporting Saints. The, experienced, nucleus of that side was still intact.

One man team my arse. The goalie and defence (of which 4 remained) we’re mostly rock solid last year, McGinn was excellent all season, Magennis established himself in both our team and the Sco U21’s, Cammy was our POY and performed consistently when Lewis’s form shaded and let’s not forget Reilly’s goals.

He didn’t inherit a Championship winning side. The best player in the entire division was away. So was the best defender plus a quality right back.

We were a one man team by a country mile!

Reilly was benched for the run it. It made no difference!

Magennis missed the first quarter. We were already top of the league.

Had Morgan not come back on loan from septic, we’d have been fcuked!

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’ll wring my knickers out if you remove your rose tinted specs and give me a swally of what you are drinking !!

Simple question. Between that shambles and Tuesdays game against the Rose & Crown pub team , how many of the players brought in look even half decent and up to the task ?

eta : your comment on respective budgets ? How about ours compared to Spartans .?

So if Spartans took a pumping off us they would be calling themselves embarrassing...I don't think so

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

He didn’t inherit a Championship winning side. The best player in the entire division was away. So was the best defender plus a quality right back.

Of the players you have mentioned, Reilly was benched by Jack Ross and Magennis has been injured.

Alex Ferguson lost 5-0 to East Stirling in his first season. Give Stubbs a chance!

That boat sailed some time ago with quite a few, do keep up. :wink:

Its only been 3 games but so far I am far from impressed by Stubbs on his player recruitment, his tactics, his management skills and his PR skills. The pressure is on and the League hasn't even started.  I sincerely hope my pessimism is unwarranted but we need some massive improvement and quickly.

I'm struggling to understand why Stubbs is playing Mullen and Smith wide when they are clearly uncomfortable in those roles. They are two of our more effective players, so I would have thought he would utilise them to their best effect.

I appreciate that pre-season games are the time to experiment, but it isn't working, and they should be restored to more central areas.

Edited by Drew

I never said Jack wasn’t good for us.

Amongst the rest of your tear stained pish you said he used us. I merely pointed out that it was a beneficial deal for both parties. How you then describe Jack in the rest of your post suggests have may have wiped his knob in your best curtains.

5 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Of the players you have mentioned, Reilly was benched by Jack Ross and Magennis has been injured.

Alex Ferguson lost 5-0 to East Stirling in his first season. Give Stubbs a chance!

The thing for me is that even us dafties can spot a player when we see one. And that's not what we are seeing with the new signings. Add to the mix that Stubbs has told several good, signed up players they can go and it's the perfect recipe for a toxic dressing room.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm struggling to understand why Stubbs is playing Mullen and Smith wide when they are clearly uncomfortable in those roles. They are two of our more effective players, so I would have thought he would utilise them to their best effect.

I appreciate that pre-season games are the time to experiment, but it isn't working, and they should be restored to more central areas.

They were played out wide today to accomodate Trialist A. Trialist B was the one who looked like Hyppolyte’s bulkier, slower, more useless brother. Trialist C, I cannot tell you anything about, because as you know, I left at half time.

Did I miss anything? 

The thing for me is that even us dafties can spot a player when we see one. And that's not what we are seeing with the new signings. Add to the mix that Stubbs has told several good, signed up players they can go and it's the perfect recipe for a toxic dressing room.
Have to be honest and say that is my biggest worry.

Jack could drop a player, biot his baws and sleep with his missus, and the player would still speak well of him.

The dealings with McShane, Eckersley and Mackenzie are classic dressing room splitting ones.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

They were played out wide today to accomodate Trialist A. Trialist B was the one who looked like Hyppolyte’s bulkier, slower, more useless brother. Trialist C, I cannot tell you anything about, because as you know, I left at half time.

Did I miss anything? 

Smith was played in a wide role on Tuesday, too. Mullen didn't start the game, but I'm pretty sure he was also punted into a wide position.

And no, you didn't miss anything. At least nothing that I want to talk about....

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Mullen and Smith both played well against Killie , and made sure the ball moved well in to top half of the park ( as did McGinn and Flynn ) , we should be building on this , as its about the only time we have played well this season , instead of fannying around with tactics the players don,t understand .

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Did I miss anything? 

Yes all 3 have been signed up on 3 year contracts.

Amongst the rest of your year stained pish you said he used us. I merely pointed out that it was a beneficial deal for both parties. How you then describe Jack in the rest of your post suggests have may have wiped his knob in your best curtains.

As I say, mate, it is only my feelings. I am allowed to have them.
I stand by what I said and don’t think it is proving to be beneficial to one of the parties....

Only 2 of Stubbs’ signings started today.

They were both getting rave reviews before today.

These ‘several good players’ are essentially Reilly, McShane, Mackenzie and Eckersley.

The first 2 were benched by Jack Ross, the 3rd only started 14 games and is injury prone while the 4th has been replaced by a guy everyone was raving about last week!