St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

5 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

My Livi supporting mate said that Mullen usually played wide for them

Maybe it depends on who else plays around him. It certainly doesn't seem to suit him in our current set-up. Smith even less so.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Only 2 of Stubbs’ signings started today.

They were both getting rave reviews before today.

These ‘several good players’ are essentially Reilly, McShane, Mackenzie and Eckersley.

The first 2 were benched by Jack Ross, the 3rd only started 14 games and is injury prone while the 4th has been replaced by a guy everyone was raving about last week!

The 4 players you mention are a big step up from what's on show at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

These ‘several good players’ are essentially Reilly, McShane, Mackenzie and Eckersley.

The first 2 were benched by Jack Ross, the 3rd only started 14 games and is injury prone while the 4th has been replaced by a guy everyone was raving about last week!

Any more stats and you will have me believing we won today.

Was more concerned about Tuesday result than today. We played better but were up against a team who will do well this season and are a far bigger outfit than we will ever be. Over 21,000 season ticket holders in league 1. However, the lack of pre season games and time to gel a team and determine style and strengths of players is all too glaring to see. Two competitive opportunities to settle on a starting lineup and properly familiarise with one another. Two weeks for Stubbs to put himself in a position to win over a growing number of disenchanted supporters. For me l will wait and see who he brings in and how league starts before jumping to conclusions. However, l was unimpressed by his post match interview today other than dismissing his trialists forthwith.

41 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm struggling to understand why Stubbs is playing Mullen and Smith wide when they are clearly uncomfortable in those roles. They are two of our more effective players, so I would have thought he would utilise them to their best effect.

I appreciate that pre-season games are the time to experiment, but it isn't working, and they should be restored to more central areas.

Stubbs has clearly inherited players he doesn't rate. Unfortunately until he can replace them he has to use them and play to their strengths rather than shoehorn them into his preferred style.   

He didn’t inherit a Championship winning side. The best player in the entire division was away. So was the best defender plus a quality right back.

We were a one man team by a country mile!

Reilly was benched for the run it. It made no difference!

Magennis missed the first quarter. We were already top of the league.

Had Morgan not come back on loan from septic, we’d have been fcuked!

Aye, ok then.

Without Reilly’s goals we don’t win the league so his contribution was massive and to suggest otherwise just cuts the legs out from under your whole argument.

Smith was the POY and when Morgy’s form shaded (around the time he started playing with the Sco U21’s) he was the one who kept delivering and scoring goals.

Morgan was a vital component of the title winning run and we may not have won he league without his contribution but the same could be said of Reilly, Smith and probably Davis.

ETA

No McGinn, no title either.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If this was the game which blew away any residual cobwebs of complacency after our promotion then so be it.

The reality is that we wont be facing teams like this each week.

They are a bang average League 1 side.  We will be facing teams better than that many weeks!  St Mirren capitulated today, Sunderland were nothing special.  We are currently playing at a standard that can't beat Spartans.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm working so missing the current games , get your concerns after all your at the games. Im hoping it's all trial and error just now and that the right players are brought in  I live and hope mate.

Yeah, I wasn't getting at you about it. I was with you on the 'wait and see front'.

I've seen enough in 3 games to be able to make a judgement that something is amiss though and the best chance of overhauling that is the addition of personnel who are good enough.

Stubbs also knows this going from his post match comments. In the space of a week he's gone from bullish and coming away with pish about 'marquee signings' to now being 'hopeful that a couple' will come in.

We're a lot more than 'a couple' away from looking like a good sid,e though. The three guys on trial today clearly proved that they are not good enough but it's worrying that Stubbs even thought they might be, given none of them have a particularly impressive CV. Patterson perhaps did at one point but he's clearly 4 or 5 years beyond that point despite only being 31. If Stubbs thinks this is the calibre of player that might be passing as acceptable in the Premier League then he's seriously misjudged just how tough a league we're going to be operating in.

I don't think we, as supporters are asking for a lot in our club's signings... merely basic competence at the level we are looking to operate at. There is a staggering lack of that being brought in this summer.

Oh and Jack Ross doesn't get off Scot free either - easy to forget that Jim Kellerman was his signing and looks to be operating at roughly the same level as the rest of the jobbers we've signed.

I hope to be looking back on this in 9 or 10 months from now, holding my hands up and admitting with a massive grin on my face that I made a cock of myself....that at least two or three of Cole Kpekawa, Jeff King, Cody Cooke, Jeff Heaton, Kellerman etc are absolute gems and I've been far too quick off the mark....but the worry is that there is so little spark there from any of them even at this point where they would be going baws oot to impress their new fans. Nothing to make you go 'you know what? They look like they could come on a bit with the right amount of time and patience'....that's what's worrying me the most. That there are more James Marwoods and Callum Balls in that batch than Connor Newtons and Paul Dummetts.

Felt a bit for Patterson up top. Clearly has had no pre season, yet was never gonna have a chance to do anything worthy of winning a contract.

Mullen and Smith too far away from when we got anywhere close to getting over the halfway line.

Thought he worked hard, chased every ball and ran the channels well. Poor lad never stood a chance.

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Stubbs has clearly inherited players he doesn't rate. Unfortunately until he can replace them he has to use them and play to their strengths rather than shoehorn them into his preferred style.   

Agree to a certain extent.

However, as has been mentioned, he could start by playing Cammy Smith in his correct position, which would benefit the team no end IMO.

That boat sailed some time ago with quite a few, do keep up. :wink:

I don’t think anyone is seriously advocating Stubbs should go but results and performances, allied with his unnecessary bluster about “marquee” signings, will start to bring the heat shortly.

Tuesday was poor but we could easily have scored 10 that night.

Today was as bad a performance as I’ve seen in a long time from a Saints side and with two weeks to go I’m not sure he knows how he wants the team to play or who his best XI is.

2 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I don’t think anyone is seriously advocating Stubbs should go but results and performances, allied with his unnecessary bluster about “marquee” signings, will start to bring the heat shortly.

Tuesday was poor but we could easily have scored 10 that night.

Today was as bad a performance as I’ve seen in a long time from a Saints side and with two weeks to go I’m not sure he knows how he wants the team to play or who his best XI is.

I never said anybody did?  :blink:

I did say people had made their minds up as soon as he was appointed and slowly, but surely, they have been jumping on any negative, and there have been some disappointing aspects, point they can scrape around and find, let alone making stories up. 

Hey, it's all very predictable, I'm no Nostradamus, just seen it all before. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

I did say people had made their minds up as soon as he was appointed and slowly, but surely, they have been jumping on any negative, and there have been some disappointing aspects, point they can scrape around and find, let alone making stories up. 

I can't speak for other folk. I was happy with the appointment.

However, the developments of the last few weeks have had me increasingly concerned and today just echos my concerns going into TC's season with his myriad of pish and going into Ian Murray's season with guys who clearly weren't very good like Luke Conlan and Cameron Howieson,

On Stubbs' side though is that he does have time and presumably the budget to sort this out.

I'm going to say right here that it wouldn't surprise me if one of two of the new lads are shunted out on loan before the window closes. Not quite what you want in a new signing but those are the breaks.

So we’re not counting the two triallists then?

He also had 4 of his signings (and another triallist) on the bench. Rogers was honking when he came on. King makes David Elliot look good (sorry Shull) and the others didn’t get on whilst I was in the stadium.

So, his fingerprints are all over the squad now and other than Coulson the new guys don’t look like an upgrade on the previous boys.

For example, I’d take Hippolyte over King based on what I’ve seen and Reilly v Cooke is a no-brainer. GMac seems comfortably better than Heaton or Kpekwa. Also, whilst I like Coulson I think Eckersley’s experience and defensive qualities could be sorely missed.

Let’s be clear, Stubbs inherited a decent bunch and decided to clear a few out and replace them with questionable quality. That’s on him.

I guess any appointment will split opinion and when things don’t start well it can get ugly really quickly.

Jack was always going to be a tough act to follow. Not just because we won he league but how he interacted with the support and came across in his interviews.

We’ve had far too many managers in my years supporting Saints so I’ve probably seen it before as well. My only issue here is that this reminds me more of Tommy Craig than Jack Ross.

15 minutes ago, DLBud said:

So we’re not counting the two triallists then?

He also had 4 of his signings (and another triallist) on the bench. Rogers was honking when he came on. King makes David Elliot look good (sorry Shull) and the others didn’t get on whilst I was in the stadium.

So, his fingerprints are all over the squad now and other than Coulson the new guys don’t look like an upgrade on the previous boys.

For example, I’d take Hippolyte over King based on what I’ve seen and Reilly v Cooke is a no-brainer. GMac seems comfortably better than Heaton or Kpekwa. Also, whilst I like Coulson I think Eckersley’s experience and defensive qualities could be sorely missed.

Let’s be clear, Stubbs inherited a decent bunch and decided to clear a few out and replace them with questionable quality. That’s on him.

This.

3 hours ago, magnus said:

Smith looks very unhappy and out of sorts as does Mullen. I hesitate to say it but Paul McGinn is not the answer at right back. His distribution is awful. Both goalies today looked really poor.

Any Partick fan could have told us that before we signed him. Strange move.

Christ, May seems like a lifetime away. Its quite something just how quickly things have unravelled. I suspect we will look back on season 2017/18 as one of the best in our history.

It was always a big ask for any new manager to come in and keep the momentum going, but things have bottomed out much more rapidly than I expected. It is certainly ironic that such a low point has been reached when Jack Ross brought his new club to visit.

ETA - I should qualify this by saying that I'm referring more to the contrast in mood around the place as opposed to what is actually happening on the pitch and with the manager and squad. It is too early to judge how things will play out in that respect, but the feel good factor has certainly withered quite dramatically.

Edited by Drew