St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

Felt a bit for Patterson up top. Clearly has had no pre season, yet was never gonna have a chance to do anything worthy of winning a contract.

Mullen and Smith too far away from when we got anywhere close to getting over the halfway line.

Thought he worked hard, chased every ball and ran the channels well. Poor lad never stood a chance.
Au contraire.
I thought he looked lazy.

I felt for him with the lack of service, but all the more reason to bust a gut when given rven a half chance.

Hr had one effort but the bsll broke loose.

Smith or Mullen would have got up off the deck and reached the ball first, still inside the area....

Number 9 just sat on his arse and showed no urgency whatsoever.

It's a no from me!

Was really poor today embarrassing really but I am not going to judge till 5pm 4th of August. I agree with most a lot of new signings do not look great but the most worrying thing for me is lack of shape/organisation/game plan. Defensively we are an absolute shambles p mcginn baird and the other cb stood off the Sunderland front men all day and got punished. I can't see where our goals are coming from also defo need a striker asap. 

Au contraire.
I thought he looked lazy.

I didn’t think he was lazy but he didn’t look match fit at all. Neither did the other big lad in the middle. If this is the standard of player Stubbs is looking to bring in we may well be in for a tricky season.

Did we not lose 5-0 to Forfar in the Millenium year we won the league?

Don’t remember that. I do remember getting hosed 5-1 by Forfar in the 80’s at Station Park and Dougie Bell turning in one of the most abject performances I’ve seen at any level of football and then taking the hump for getting called out on it.

22 minutes ago, Drew said:

Christ, May seems like a lifetime away. Its quite something just how quickly things have unravelled. I suspect we will look back on season 2017/18 as one of the best in our history.

It was always a big ask for any new manager to come in and keep the momentum going, but things have bottomed out much more rapidly than I expected. It is certainly ironic that such a low point has been reached when Jack Ross brought his new club to visit.

ETA - I should qualify this by saying that I'm referring more to the contrast in mood around the place as opposed to what is actually happening on the pitch and with the manager and squad. It is too early to judge how things will play out in that respect, but the feel good factor has certainly withered quite dramatically.

One way to keep the momentum going is to have a bit of faith in the squad who had done well the previous season. Stubbs made plenty of the right noises when he came in about adding quality to what we already had and giving last year's players a chance. Personally, I think he was too hasty to say after 1 week in La Manga that guys like Eckersley and MacKenzie and to a lesser extent McShane were welcome to find new clubs. Fans have said its too early to judge Stubbs signings after 1-3 games but Stubbs has said to a decent chunk of last year's squad they are surplus to requirements. I can't imagine that motivates those players to do a job if they are given a game, or does much for the other players from last season seeing their team mates frozen out before a ball has been kicked. It has also meant there is pressure on Stubbs' own signings to show they are better than what we had at the same time as Stubbs has admitted most of them are stepping up to full time first team football and stepping up to this level. Jack Ross didn't have many signings who were stepping up who worked out well. Arguably his best signings were already proven at our level or better: McGinn, Samson, Davis, Cammy Smith, Reilly.

Well now....just dropped in on this , erm , friendly result and it appears to confirm a grim pattern of a results and performances over recent days.
Two things immediately .....
1. I’m shocked that any team anytime would lose a game 6 to zilch, bad at any level, it’s just not on and demonstrates a cluelessness and / or a serious lack of ability against superior opponents.
2. Recent results and apparently performances do not bode well, albeit it is the pre season unfunny time !!
There’s either a radical switch around still to gel and a plan is in place, or there is an almighty hill to climb here.
Day 1 of the league season should hopefully shed a light but it appears we are in the very early stages of a rebuild and not ready, tactically, physically, emotionally.
Message to management, get it sorted !!!!!!

5 minutes ago, DLBud said:

^^^^^^
This, absolutely this.

For me the worrying thing is aside from Coulson and Paul McGinn there isn't much evidence so far we have signed well in this window where we needed to sign 8 or 9 players and add quality, and the trialists today seemed the most likely options Stubbs had on his radar since the Killie game. I think Stokes would have been a gamble due to how his last few seasons have gone with clubs mutually consenting him for disciplinary issues or him going AWOL and Motherwell seem to have thought they were n contention for Adam Rooney. Stubbs talking to the media about Hibs and Celtic sorting something out for John McGinn also seemed odd- like he is almost banking on that move happening and depending on income from that to fund some decent quality signings - surely we can't have used up a huge chunk of our budget for this window yet?

One way to keep the momentum going is to have a bit of faith in the squad who had done well the previous season. Stubbs made plenty of the right noises when he came in about adding quality to what we already had and giving last year's players a chance. Personally, I think he was too hasty to say after 1 week in La Manga that guys like Eckersley and MacKenzie and to a lesser extent McShane were welcome to find new clubs. Fans have said its too early to judge Stubbs signings after 1-3 games but Stubbs has said to a decent chunk of last year's squad they are surplus to requirements. I can't imagine that motivates those players to do a job if they are given a game, or does much for the other players from last season seeing their team mates frozen out before a ball has been kicked. It has also meant there is pressure on Stubbs' own signings to show they are better than what we had at the same time as Stubbs has admitted most of them are stepping up to full time first team football and stepping up to this level. Jack Ross didn't have many signings who were stepping up who worked out well. Arguably his best signings were already proven at our level or better: McGinn, Samson, Davis, Cammy Smith, Reilly.

I agree with this.

I’d imagine that in any workplace environment if your friends/colleagues were unceremoniously dumped after previously performing well it could create some resentment and would also put additional pressure on those replacing them.

Whilst most of us understood we’d need to strengthen this year to compete I don’t believe many saw such a radical overhaul. If the team had been shit last year then nobody could really complain but when you’re the league champions..........

Just now, DLBud said:

You wouldn’t have thought so. If we’re bringing this pish in on big money I’d be surprised.

The guys Stubbs has brought in are on 2 and 3 year deals and we paid £75k for one of them. I assume there is still dosh left but the money spent so far seems excessive for what we got.

Was really poor today embarrassing really but I am not going to judge till 5pm 4th of August. I agree with most a lot of new signings do not look great but the most worrying thing for me is lack of shape/organisation/game plan. Defensively we are an absolute shambles p mcginn baird and the other cb stood off the Sunderland front men all day and got punished. I can't see where our goals are coming from also defo need a striker asap. 
I have not seen games yet but am worried by your comments on the defence - AS has stated that what he's been working on our defence. Apparently some more work required.

Well now....just dropped in on this , erm , friendly result and it appears to confirm a grim pattern of a results and performances over recent days.
Two things immediately .....
1. I’m shocked that any team anytime would lose a game 6 to zilch, bad at any level, it’s just not on and demonstrates a cluelessness and / or a serious lack of ability against superior opponents.
2. Recent results and apparently performances do not bode well, albeit it is the pre season unfunny time !!
There’s either a radical switch around still to gel and a plan is in place, or there is an almighty hill to climb here.
Day 1 of the league season should hopefully shed a light but it appears we are in the very early stages of a rebuild and not ready, tactically, physically, emotionally.
Message to management, get it sorted !!!!!!
1. Argee
2. Still time ( but the clock is ticking )

The guys Stubbs has brought in are on 2 and 3 year deals and we paid £75k for one of them. I assume there is still dosh left but the money spent so far seems excessive for what we got.
Am hoping that GLS, AS and Fitz are viewing this as the next 3yrs in their 5-10yr plan for the club, and not instant success/gatification
Hence the 2-3yr player deals. Let's be more patient.

(It's really hard for me too!)

6 hours ago, branniganm said:
11 hours ago, Drew said:

Funnily enough, we were headed up to the Alps had my mate not fallen off his bike yesterday.

I've walked Beinn An Lochan a couple of times, and agree with you that it is a great hill.

My all-time favourite has to be Bla Bheinn on Skye. A stunning hill with breathtaking views. Can't wait to walk it again.

On a clear day, the view from Goatfell on Arran cannot be beaten IMO.

Millport and Bute seem within touching distance. Ben Cruachan far to the north.  Holy isle and Ailsa Craig to the south. And the Irish coast beyond the Kintyre peninsula. Not to mention Glens Rosa and Sannox below. 

An amazing spot .

Could you send Elvis there please  :P

A lot of comments along the lines of ‘it’s the lack of a gameplan / organisation / basic skills that worries me’.

The funny thing is, against Killie, an established top flight side with a good manager and a settled squad, Stubbs St Mirren showed all of that. Sure, they had Boyd missing, but we had Magennis missing. What looked like a weird starting line up and formation played some really nice football, created openings, fought, ran, harried, and as for basic skills - Coulson was superb, Cole made many important blocks and tackles, King came on and delivered some tasty looking crosses.

Just what has happened between then and Spartans / Sunderland is anyone’s guess. I definitely did not imagine it, we were the better team at Killie and I felt proud watching a St Mirren team I thought might have been on the end of a two or three goal loss.

It seems to have all gone Pete Tong in jig time. The Dundee game is going to be mighty, mighty interesting.

2 minutes ago, DLBud said:

We need to find a way past Queen’s Park and Dumbarton first.emoji120.png

Given our inability to beat Spartans and a 0-6 hosing, sorry if it offends anyone, but I’m concerned about the league campaign, with these bastardised LC group games being our warm-up games leading towards the Dundee game. The LC shouldn’t be that way, but here we are.

Going to be funny, the Dundee game. Watching the Championship flag being unfurled. It feels like it was won by a completely different football club than the one I watched today.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Given our inability to beat Spartans and a 0-6 hosing, sorry if it offends anyone, but I’m concerned about the league campaign, with these bastardised LC group games being our warm-up games leading towards the Dundee game. The LC shouldn’t be that way, but here we are.

Going to be funny, the Dundee game. Watching the Championship flag being unfurled. It feels like it was won by a completely different football club than the one I watched today.

Sad but true. The feel good factor didn't last long. It would be a shame for all the good work done last season to disappear.