St. Mirren v Sunderland, friendly 21/7/18

Thankfully this was only a friendly. As difficult as it is to hold back, I will continue to reserve judgement for now. We've seen what some of the players are capable of in the performance against Kilmarnock. We have two important matches left in the League Cup where two 90 minute victories will near enough guarantee progress.

Right now I think we need a very comfortable result v QP (3+ win) to restore confidence and pride. A narrow victory would give us the points but not help in building confidence.

It's good to see that Stubbs believes we still need improvements, but by now many quality free agents will have found a club and our potential pool of freebies is getting smaller each day. I also think it's time to give Eck and Mack their opportunity. The CBs haven't covered themselves in glory so far.  Eck is a difficult one with Coulson looking decent, but his experience both as a player and as part of St Mirren are important. As a young full back Coulson will make some errors this season, Eck can come in if things get too difficult, and he may be able to guide Coulson too.  It wasn't right to announce that these guys can go away.

I won't panic yet because this was a friendly. But we need a good result against QP now.

Watching those highlights was grim ........  midfield non existent, defence all over the place and we looked like wee boys up front.

Know it was only a friendly but we looked slow and sluggish all over the park. Sunderland were fit, compact and well organised but Jack hasn’t turned them into Barca overnight. They had previously lost to Darlington and drawn with Hartlepool ffs. Not sure how we can go from the Kille performance to that in the space of two games but we need to sort it out quickly.  Only good thing is that at least we still have Kyle to come back in and if Stubbs has any sense he will restore Gary Mac back to centre half as soon as he is fit.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Why on earth would you post something like if you thought there was even a chance of it being true?

WTF is wrong with you? :blink:

I wanted to bug you y'an arsehole , bullseye  !

FWIW I had no reason to disbelieve the person that told me as he's been accurate before , maybe there was an element of truth in it , who knows ?

Edited by billyg

I couldn’t help but notice that the warm up yesterday didn’t appear as cohesive as before, also IMO Brian Rice appeared a bit of a ‘spare part’ and a bit lost during the warm up routine, furthermore no handshake for Paterson when he left the field, all of this may be nothing but I wonder what the harmony and dynamic is like in the camp in comparison to last season?

Bad morale can be a big problem in any organisation!!

I couldn’t help but notice that the warm up yesterday didn’t appear as cohesive as before, also IMO Brian Rice appeared a bit of a ‘spare part’ and a bit lost during the warm up routine, furthermore no handshake for Paterson when he left the field, all of this may be nothing but I wonder what the harmony and dynamic is like in the camp in comparison to last season?

Bad morale can be a big problem in any organisation!!

Maybe no handshake for Patterson because he was rank f**king rotten ?
Handshakes are usually a congratulatory gesture. There was certainly f**k all to congratulate him about, I’m just surprised we kept him on the park for so long .

Handshakes are usually a congratulatory gesture. There was certainly f**k all to congratulate him about, I’m just surprised we kept him on the park for so long .

Agreed on Patterson, there was an instance where he couldn’t / wouldn’t get off his backside quick enough to go for a second ball.

That was bad yesterday - even worse than Thistle last pre season!!

12 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I thought he fitted right in.

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Given our inability to beat Spartans and a 0-6 hosing, sorry if it offends anyone, but I’m concerned about the league campaign, with these bastardised LC group games being our warm-up games leading towards the Dundee game. The LC shouldn’t be that way, but here we are.

Going to be funny, the Dundee game. Watching the Championship flag being unfurled. It feels like it was won by a completely different football club than the one I watched today.

That's Stubbs biggest gamble. I know hindsight is cheating but it would have been way less risky to strengthen the Championship team that had such a great winning mentality. Keep G Mac, Eck, Reilly, Stewart, Hippo, spend the £75k or whatever bringing back Liam Smith add a David Templeton type to replace Lewis and get a midfielder in with a bit of dig. If that wasn't enough we could do a bit more in January. This rip it up, start all over and bring in players that are clearly miles below the quality required is a huge gamble that currently looks unlikely to succeed.

Stubbs' post-match interview was abysmal. There is no passion or conviction there at all.

When Top Man Jimbo asked him what his message was to the supporters, his response was insipid at best. If he carries on like this, the knives will be out within a month.

I'm not sure if his demeanour is based on a low key dismissive arrogance, or an underlying anxiety that is developing as he realises that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. I reckon it might be a bit of both.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Stubbs' post-match interview was abysmal. There is no passion or conviction there at all.

When Top Man Jimbo asked him what his message was to the supporters, his response was insipid at best. If he carries on like this, the knives will be out within a month.

I'm not sure if his demeanour is based on a low key dismissive arrogance, or an underlying anxiety that is developing as he realises that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. I reckon it might be a bit of both.

You're really basing his answers in an interview to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FFS, un-fecking-believable. 

24 minutes ago, magnus said:

That's Stubbs biggest gamble. I know hindsight is cheating but it would have been way less risky to strengthen the Championship team that had such a great winning mentality. Keep G Mac, Eck, Reilly, Stewart, Hippo, spend the £75k or whatever bringing back Liam Smith add a David Templeton type to replace Lewis and get a midfielder in with a bit of dig. If that wasn't enough we could do a bit more in January. This rip it up, start all over and bring in players that are clearly miles below the quality required is a huge gamble that currently looks unlikely to succeed.

Seemingly, his approach so far mirrors what he did at Rotherham.

At least we can be encouraged by the fact that he clearly learns from his mistakes....:toilet

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yep and the outlook for any new signing never mind a wow signing looks remote.

Just now, faraway saint said:

Aye, didn't come over too well..............

You take his answers in an interview to mean he doesn't have a clue and is arrogant?

Un-fecking-believable. 

That better? 

It was just an observation.

What is your take on the interview? I thought it was very poor. He was afforded the opportunity to send out a message, and singularly failed to do that. For me, that failure has to be based on something. I was merely speculating.

FWIW, I wasn't saying that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing (though the early signs are ominous), more that his demeanour suggested that something is amiss.  I commented previously that his interview after the game on Tuesday was encouraging in parts. Yesterday was a step back.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

Seemingly, his approach so far mirrors what he did at Rotherham.

At least we can be encouraged by the fact that he clearly learns from his mistakes....:toilet

Aye, I posted something similar on P&B. The way he describes what happened there is very similar to what seems to be unfolding here.

I'm basically pretty worried now.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

It was just an observation.

What is your take on the interview? I thought it was very poor. He was afforded the opportunity to send out a message, and singularly failed to do that. For me, that failure has to be based on something. I was merely speculating.

FWIW, I wasn't saying that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing (though the early signs are ominous), more that his demeanour suggested that something is amiss.  I commented previously that his interview after the game on Tuesday was encouraging in parts. Yesterday was a step back.

An observation that was quite damning based on a 2 minute (no idea of the time) snippet?  

I don't bother with managers interviews Drew, didn't get the whole slabbering over Ross last season, what happens on the pitch is all that I worry about and, yes, yesterday was disappointing.

I've already pointed out the reactions on last seasons pumping at Partick, don't think it had a massive bearing on our season.

This season was always going to be difficult, with Ross or without him.

19 minutes ago, shull said:

Although, I do believe we will beat Queens Park and Dumbarton then start our League campaign with a bang by humping Dundee.

Dumbarton will sit in , we'll struggle to beat them with what we have currently at our disposal. Dundee will bully us and embarrass us on flag day . I'm glad I'm away on hols after that so will miss TRFC , because I dread to think of the outcome in that one !