St. Mirren v Spartans Betfred Cup 17/7/18

We had 33 shots. Two created goals, two hit the woodwork, their goalkeeper made several very good saves and they had around 5 shots and scored twice. Ultimately is was too close for comfort. On the plus side, another  5/6 players got game time. 

6 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
12 minutes ago, Drew said:
Deep breaths, Gary.  Deep breathsemoji38.png

Just about calmed down Drew. Was so optimistic after Friday. Should have known better.

Its Saints, Gary. Always one step forward and two back.

Hopefully Stubbs will now know a bit more in terms of what he has to do to ensure we make a decent fist of the coming campaign.

I am glad that happened tonight. A lot of slack passing, lack of imagination, poor touches and general positional awareness will have to be addressed. Without McGinn coming on to take control we would have lost that game. 

Thought Flynn was ok and would keep Ross Stewart based on the other options we have. Coulson tried but didn't have the success he did against Kilmarnock. Bit of a wake up call all round for others and hope they all watch a replay of that on Buddievision.

Stubbs will have to bring in some experienced campaigners with a bit of fight in them.  Bet Stubbs is on the phone to Stokes right now.

I’m sticking to my plan. Not judging until just after Christmas by which time we’ll have made our signings, played different opponents and will be better placed to say if Stubbs has recruited well or not. Failing to beat Spartans at home isn’t good, let’s be honest, but way, way too early to mark any individuals down as duds.

Just now, pozbaird said:

I’m sticking to my plan. Not judging until just after Christmas by which time we’ll have made our signings, played different opponents and will be better placed to say if Stubbs has recruited well or not. Failing to beat Spartans at home isn’t good, let’s be honest, but way, way too early to mark any individuals down as duds.

Bet you break that resolution. Way too sensible.

From what I’ve seen we still have important positions to fill and hopefully Stubbs has a reasonable budget to get some quality in before the deadline. 

We need to add a quality player to every central position on the park and also another right back. 

It is early days but tonight shows we don’t have a strong squad at all. 

Just now, magnus said:

Bet you break that resolution. Way too sensible.

Nope. I judged Jack Ross way too harshly, and way too early. I called it wrong. I am not going to say Kellerman is this, that or the other, or Cooke is rubbish, or Coulson is Paolo Maldini at this stage. Importantly, I haven’t actually been to see us yet, so branding anyone a dud or a superstar would be somewhat premature on my part. :rolleyes:

Did we really pay money for that centre half?

Thought Flynn looked like a different player when McShane went off. 

P McGinn did ok going forward and Mullen and Stewart were massive upgrades on Cooke and Kellermann.  

Still early days but I think it underlines we need more depth. 

I am not going to comment on particular players but that display and several individual performances should give Stubbs plenty of food for thought. Guys can have off games but still show some quality but there was little quality on show tonight. And the other great disappointment for me was the formation. We played a 4-1-4-1 (contrary to what others reckoned) which meant in particular that Cooke was isolated up front and Smith was out wide and wasted. One striker at home against a non-league team is pretty poor. I know we were lucky last season playing 3 men behind a striker or Smith playing off a striker with 4 in midfield and saw some great attacking football but that now seems to be ancient history.

And I will comment on McShane though. I thought he was one of the better players which maybe wasn't saying much. Maybe Stubbs should re-think his apparent policy that all the players from last year should be bumped in favour of inexperienced non-league players. I am not suggesting that McShane is the answer however he was better than everyone who was making a Home debut bar Coulson.

Stubbs is obviously using these games as warm up games. He's having a look at all of the squad to see who he wants to keep and who'll be surplus. 

With 4 or 5 players still to come in , I'm not going to panic on the back of a poor result with completely new starting 11. 

On Friday night against killie the team got some plaudits for the performance,  and tonight we were poor for 60mins - It's very early days in what will be a long season. 

Rollercoaster that is St Mirren FC lol ! 

First hour was really poor - improved when Stephen came on but we still huffed and puffed against a team that realistically we should have put away easily.  Stubbs will have learned a fair bit from that though ........ Sammy is still our number 1. Heaton, Kellerman, Cooke and King are not at the level they need to be.  Need to get the defence sorted and build from there. In midfield Mcginn, Flynn, Magennis and Smith would be my picks but up front is definitely a problem 

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

From what I’ve seen we still have important positions to fill and hopefully Stubbs has a reasonable budget to get some quality in before the deadline. 

We need to add a quality player to every central position on the park and also another right back. 

It is early days but tonight shows we don’t have a strong squad at all. 

Yep. Nail on the head for me .  Liam Smith on the right side would make us a more exciting team breaking from defence.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. I judged Jack Ross way too harshly, and way too early. I called it wrong. I am not going to say Kellerman is this, that or the other, or Cooke is rubbish, or Coulson is Paolo Maldini at this stage. Importantly, I haven’t actually been to see us yet, so branding anyone a dud or a superstar would be somewhat premature on my part. :rolleyes:

I think all people are saying is that Kellerman, Cooke, Heaton, King etc were rubbish tonight. That’s all we’ve got to go on so far. This is the St. Mirren v Spartans thread isn’t it??

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think all people are saying is that Kellerman, Cooke, Heaton, King etc were rubbish tonight. That’s all we’ve got to go on so far. This is the St. Mirren v Spartans thread isn’t it??

Not to worry though. IOBS says Heaton looks like a bargain at £75k based on youtube footage of him 

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Calm yer’ pants. I haven’t had a pop at any poster who has been critical of what they saw from either the team as a collective, or the individual performances they witnessed tonight. I’m only stating my personal opinion, which is, I was impressed with what I saw on TV at Rugby Park, but a mere four days later against diddies, the performance was far removed from Friday.

As I judged Jack too harshly, I am refraining from doing so this time, with Stubbs or the players.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Not to worry though. IOBS says Heaton looks like a bargain at £75k based on youtube footage of him 

Time will tell if he's right or wrong, but you can't really judge him after one game.

7 minutes ago, Hambud said:
1 hour ago, TopCat said:
So far the DJ has started the music during Danny Mullen’s penalty run up and gave us two loud blasts of static after the final whistle.

Bring back Phil!

I'm sure they did the same thing last year just before we missed a penalty.

Yup that did happen. 

Thought the whole thing was highly entertaining in a 'it didn't matter that much' kind of way.

Some of the newly recruited non-league players looked just that, sadly.

McGinn came on and changed the match, what a star that guy is.

PA was an embarrassing shambles. We are a Premiership outfit again, need to start acting like if off the field too.

All in all,  just about glad I went.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Calm yer’ pants. I haven’t had a pop at any poster who has been critical of what they saw from either the team as a collective, or the individual performances they witnessed tonight.

Aye. When I re-read your post I realised that.

To be fair I’ve had as bad a night tonight as Jeff King.

Although tae be picky, I was perfectly calm when I posted that :P

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aye. When I re-read your post I realised that.

To be fair I’ve had as bad a night tonight as Jeff King.

Although tae be picky, I was perfectly calm when I posted that :P

It’s fine. I’m not judging anyone’s posts until January. :P