St. Mirren v Spartans Betfred Cup 17/7/18

3 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Thought the whole thing was highly entertaining in a 'it didn't matter that much' kind of way.

Some of the newly recruited non-league players looked just that, sadly.

McGinn came on and changed the match, what a star that guy is.

PA was an embarrassing shambles. We are a Premiership outfit again, need to start acting like if off the field too.

All in all,  just about glad I went.

As a bizarre aside I think big Kpekawa injured himself warming up at half time. An off night all the way round.

Up on holiday in the north west of Skye and spent tonight fishing off rocks with a backdrop of the sun setting over the Outer Hebrides, looking forward to catching up with our performance when I got back in. I’ve just choked on my beer. Maybe a good wake up call after our excellent performance against Killie. Only the Buddies.....

12 minutes ago, munoz said:

Time will tell if he's right or wrong, but you can't really judge him after one game.

Agreed, I don't get carried away with optimism or pessimism during pre-season. I thought it was a shame Connor MacPherson was dropped / rested tonight after how well he played against Killie, but not too surprising given how Stubbs had only said he had done himself "no harm at all" on Friday... the way he said it suggested he wasn't in contention for a starting XI place once the season gets underway.

1 minute ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Up on holiday in the north west of Skye and spent tonight fishing off rocks with a backdrop of the sun setting over the Outer Hebrides, looking forward to catching up with our performance when I got back in. I’ve just choked on my beer. Maybe a good wake up call after our excellent performance against Killie. Only the Buddies.....

Like it mate. Love Skye. Might have swapped my evening for yours.

Plenty of time to catch up in what was a glorified friendly.

Shame to have done this to a historic competition....

Difficult game for the keeper and centre halves to look good. Definitely no judgement at this point.

McShane and Smith taking too many touches on the ball and slowing the tempo down didn’t help the performance. New boys got caught up in the same style.

Mullen and McGinn provide the energy in the team at the moment and we struggled without them.

It would be nice to go into this tournament with the spine of a good settled side, but that just hasn't been possible with the situations we have found ourselves in during the last few pre-seasons, and that means results like this are going to happen. It's clear we need some better players to take us up a level, but these guys don't want to commit to us in July in case a better team comes along willing to pay them more money, or if it's a loan, the parent club might be waiting on a signing before they are willing to let them go.

A lot of these guys were playing their first or second game for the club as well. They might need a bit more time. I remember last season several players being completely written off after some bad results in this cup and a pre season defeat to Dundee. It was stupid to do it then, and it's stupid to do it now.

Tonight illustrated how lucky we are to have Stephen McGinn as captain.

He came on, bollocked every Saints player within earshot, took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored the first goal. Without his contribution we would surely have lost.

Terrible performance , we should be seeing teams like this off easily. I'm willing to say right now that King , Cooke and Kellerman will all fail to make the required grade for the Premiership . I'll cut  Heaton some slack , ropey as he was , he  looked as if he may just be able to adjust up the way !

Terrible performance , we should be seeing teams like this off easily. I'm willing to say right now that King , Cooke and Kellerman will all fail to make the required grade for the Premiership . I'll cut  Heaton some slack , ropey as he was , he  looked as if he may just be able to adjust up the way !
Exactly my thoughts.
Cooke, especially, is a million miles off the quality we need.
Kellerman might, maybe, possibly, turn out okay. The jury's out on him so far...
King looked like he realised tonight that, even this early, he probably hasn't got it. Shame, as he looks hungry enough...
Coulson is an absolute belter of a signing though.

37 minutes ago, billyg said:

Hard to argue with that.. its just as well we had Stephen on the bench

10 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Hard to argue with that.. its just as well we had Stephen on the bench

Listening to Stephens interview on Buddievision he sounds less than impressed with some of his new team mates, add to that Stubbs comments about a few of them “finding their feet but they better find them quick”, I think a few of these players need to show they are good enough.

Hopefully tonight was just an off night, otherwise we have signed some pretty poor players. :(

Deary me.

Always sad when a Saints fan takes delight when their own team does badly.

[emoji852]️

But let's be honest here bud. Were a SPL club and playing a pub team. Our u20s should beat them easy McGinn aside the criticism is deserved. Quick to take the plaudits when they were doing well against Killie.

Read the first two pages of posts made after the game then gave up. My eyes were bleeding.

Knickwerwetting bingo in full flow!

I must say I'm in awe of all these posters that can make a judgement on a player's ability based on one game. Or even 45 minutes in one case.<_<

If it wasn't for the Kilmarnock game, some posters would probably have Coulson marked as a dud, based on his first 45 minutes.<_<

Next manager's job that comes up, there should be about 50 applications from posters on here.:lol:

However, having said that, we should not be drawing with a team of Spartan's current standing and I'm far from happy and a not without concerns.*

However, we shouldn't have drawn against them when we played them in the Scottish cup, and we shouldn't have required a last minute goal to beat EK Thistle last season. There are countless other St.Miren f**k ups I could mention in our sometimes not so glorious history. We moved on then and we'll move on this time.

Of course I have my concerns, but I'm not going to single out individual for criticism or praise. We win and lose collectively. Like it or not we are still in pre-season warm up mode. We'll learn more about these players over the next couple of weeks and the squad will be strengthened.

At this stage in our team's development we're as likely to lose to Dumbarton as we are to pump them 5-0 (only if we get in a new striker though. :lol:)

Like it or not, this squad, bar a couple who will leave and four or five new signings, is what we will be going with for the upcoming season.

You can either spend the next four weeks rushing on here to rant and rave about the failings of one player or another or you can chill out watch developments and with a critical eye and trust that Stubbs knows what he's doing. I'll be doing the latter.

P.S. The first goal was offside. The player was offside as soon as the ball was played forward. The fact that it took a deflection off one of our players is irrelevant, unless they've changed the rules, then I admit to my ignorance.

Jack Smith was a yard offside for the second, as he broke through and squared the ball. He was right in line with where we sit.

Not that it matters, as our performance was wholly unacceptable overall.*

Finally, I wonder how  many people on here who have been promoted at work, took a couple of months to find their feet and to start producing their full potential. Food for thought indeed.

*I put these bits in bold just in case anyone decides that I'm a happy clapper.Happy smiley 30

Edited by FTOF

I wasn't convinced by the tactics last night. There seemed to be an issue in the wide areas with both fullbacks constantly having to drive forward but left with little in the way of support (both in forward areas, but also covering the space they left at the back).

Smith was out of sorts and didn't seem comfortable in the role he (presumably) had been asked to play, and King wasn't disciplined enough in holding his position - might be a lack of awareness/match sharpness.

Coulson was much quieter in the 2nd half - maybe he had been told to sit a bit deeper, as too often he took an extra touch when he should have been feeding a teammate.  We then lost possession and there were big gaps at the back. He's clearly a good player, but work is required on his decision making and final ball.

The biggest disappointment for me (aside from a few individual performances, though it is far too early to write players off) was our failure to stretch the game. We were very good at that last season, and pulled defences all over the place, creating space for chances. Granted, we have lost the main architect of that in Lewis Morgan, but Friday's performance suggested we have the wherewithal to do it, and we should have been able to stretch Spartans.

All in all, I still consider the game a glorified pre-season friendly. A national cup competition should not have been demeaned in that way, but it is what it is. Stubbs reaction was reassuring, though, as he clearly knows we are well short as things stand.

7 hours ago, billyg said:

I agree with your assertion that it wasn't a good performance, but we hardly saw off EK Thistle last season with ease, and look how we ended up last season.