St. Mirren v Spartans Betfred Cup 17/7/18

Couple of things - Cammy Smith needs to be played centrally, he's not a wide player and never will be, we need to have our best players in their best positions.

Heaton looked awful, struggled to control the ball and was out of position a lot - he did start to look a bit more confident in the last half hour and hopefully its just a bit of nerves playing his first game but first impressions were not great.

I thought Baird played okay, he certainly looked a lot better than Heaton.  

King's distribution was terrible, he must have had 10-15 crosses and none of them hit a man.

Kudos to the Spartans team and the goalie in particular who pulled off some brilliant saves towards the end, he was a character too.

Thank god we have Stephen McGinn, in his first 5 seconds on the pitch he showed the rest of the team what it was all about and led by example as usual.

Stay Calm, and Tell the Negs to f**k Off!

really second pre-season game and loads on here chucking the cap in already? Ffs grow a collective pair, it was a glorified bounce match!

that said it does highlight to some posters now that most of the remnants of Ross's squad are not premiership players!

McShane is gash, Mullen cant score unless everyone is standing still,  Stewart is an ineffective beanpole etc.. etc...

Stubbzo has given them their chance, had a look and will like any sensible dog just kick some grass over that shit, move on and sign tne replacement strikers.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m sticking to my plan. Not judging until just after Christmas by which time we’ll have made our signings, played different opponents and will be better placed to say if Stubbs has recruited well or not. Failing to beat Spartans at home isn’t good, let’s be honest, but way, way too early to mark any individuals down as duds.

Right you are, now piss off and don't post until Boxing Day then.

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I agree with your assertion that it wasn't a good performance, but we hardly saw off EK Thistle last season with ease, and look how we ended up last season.

It goes without saying we should have seen off East Kilbride easily too, regardless of how the rest of the season went.

Is that the first time in our history we have failed to beat a non-league team at home?  Quite an achievement to record one of the worst results in the club's history in your second game.

Clearly, one bad performance in a League Cup group stage "warm-up" does not mean we will have a bad season.  However what will lead to a bad season is having players that are not cut out to play at Premier League level, and quite clearly quite a few of these new boys are in that category.  I doubt its a case of "getting match fit" etc, there's a couple of players that can't run with the ball or pass the ball properly!

I was of the opinion that only Samson, Davis, McGinn, Morgan and Cammy Smith could comfortably take the step up.  We have lost Morgan and Davis and from what we have brought in only Coulson is better than what was in the squad already.  Kpekawa looked decent against Killie too.  If the likes of Kellerman and King are on the pitch we simply won't score any goals.  Very much looking forward to these marquee signings now.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

It's little wonder we get the nick-name St Boo. One poor game from the team and some of the new players, and half of the people on here want to send them back down the road. 

I believe its the Sevco fans that call us St Boo for trying to drown out their bigoted shite, but you knock yourself out slagging off your fellow fans mate....

As I've posted many times, this is a football forum: it serves the purpose of discussing events surrounding St Mirren fc, including matchday performances.  I would say its fair game to criticise the players after delivering one of the world results in the 141 year history of the club.

Just now, Kemp said:

I believe its the Sevco fans that call us St Boo for trying to drown out their bigoted shite, but you knock yourself out slagging off your fellow fans mate....

As I've posted many times, this is a football forum: it serves the purpose of discussing events surrounding St Mirren fc, including matchday performances.  I would say its fair game to criticise the players after delivering one of the world results in the 141 year history of the club.

No , you are wrong - It's most teams. He haw to do with Sevco fans.

It's fair to criticise to a point , yes - but to decide that these players aren't good enough after 90mins take pissypants to a whole new level. Some " supporters " really need to calm the fuk down.

17 minutes ago, Kemp said:

You'd be wrong then.

It was actually the Falkirk fans on P&B that first coined the phrase.

The rest just jumped on the bandwagon.

You either laugh it off or take it too seriously...............................:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

36 minutes ago, Kemp said:

It goes without saying we should have seen off East Kilbride easily too, regardless of how the rest of the season went.

We should have, but we didn't.

We were half a width of a cross bar away from emulating that feat last night, with vastly inferior players apparently.

Edited by FTOF

Well. I throughly enjoyed last 35 mins. We should have won that easily. The difference SMcginn made was staggering. All credit to Spartans... bet thats the best pitch they have played on for a while. Anyone judging a team or footballer in mid july clearly follows the wrong sport. Visit a cricket forum and geez us peace

If you were at last night’s game and not worried by the performance then fair play to you. However in three weeks we are pitching up at Ibrox and playing like that we will get spanked. Listened to Stephen’s interview after the game and he is worried !

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well. I throughly enjoyed last 35 mins. We should have won that easily. The difference SMcginn made was staggering. All credit to Spartans... bet thats the best pitch they have played on for a while. Anyone judging a team or footballer in mid july clearly follows the wrong sport. Visit a cricket forum and geez us peace

I agree, the last half hour and the Penalties were thrilling. 

The effort from the Team was spot on, so I can't complain. 

I am disappointed we didn't get the 3 points but I am sure we will still qualify. 

Still can get to Hampden 3 times before Christmas.. 

IT WILL BE ALRIGHT ON THE NIGHT.... 

And also Saturday and Sunday afternoons tae. 

COME ON THE SAINTS 

46 minutes ago, shull said:

My wee daughter even persuaded me to purchase tickets for Saturday match with Sunderland. 

She loved Jack as Manager. 

That's lovely!!!

However I hope you put her straight re the" sell the jerseys utter disgrace  " that was the Raith game. That has blotted his CV and ranks up there with Levins 0-6-4, Sevcos hammering by the Luxembourg Postman, and Rodgers disgrace in Gibraltar :zipit

31 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

That's lovely!!!

However I hope you put her straight re the" sell the jerseys utter disgrace  " that was the Raith game. That has blotted his CV and ranks up there with Levins 0-6-4, Sevcos hammering by the Luxembourg Postman, and Rodgers disgrace in Gibraltar :zipit

If I startit aw that she wid just ignore me. 

Well it’s nice to see normal service renewed on the forum. Differences of opinion, friendly banter, snide remarks and Shull just thrilled at the excitement of the last half hour.

Having watched both our games they were night and day. Thank feck somebody switched the lights on last night, so the team could show us something in the last half hour. Then again Complete darkness for the first 60 minutes would have struggled to conceal just how rank rotten we were.

As Stubbs said the Tempo was too slow, the attitude of our players was all wrong and great credit must be given to Spartans for their efforts. They were up for it, playing to the whistle, they were playing for each other and they were throwing themselves at everything. A bit like we did on Friday.

What about that wee rolly-polly keeper. Big Cook, Kellerman, Heaton and King towering over him but he took everything in the air. Then in the second half he had Mullen snapping at his ankles, but he kept him out. The inability of most St Mirren players to keep the ball down or win a header contributed to his success along with Cammy having a nightmare but that wee guy can be proud of his nights work unlike most of our team.

You had to enjoy their celebrations when they scored the second. They had been denied proper celebrations for the first. By the time anyone realised the first one counted the moment had passed but the joy, smiles and disbelief on there faces as they all celebrated being 2-0 up against Premier League opposition (that’s us by the way) is something they will remember for a long time.

Thank the heavens for Captain Fantastic and the night wasn’t a compete disaster. He came straight to the Fans at full time as well no chatter with the players just straight to the fans almost as if he was apologising for the performance. Top Man Stephen.  Incidentally who’s been on shooting practice this week. Fantastic or not he couldn’t have hit a barn door on Friday night, but he drilled his chance into the net last night. A fantastic goal for a fantastic Captain.

So, mister Cook, Kellerman,  Heaton and King that’s who to look to. If you’re rank one-week train hard and put in the effort so you can improve like Captain fantastic did after his below average shooting antics on Friday.

Oh, and please do or else we’re all going to be hissing louder than the DJ’s Tannoy last night If your efforts don’t improve.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
below par grammar

38 minutes ago, marrez said:

Watching the goals on buddievision - the ref called the first one right - we didnt really even appear to stop playing,  maybe Heaton pulled from challenging the guy in the box but the keeper just did poorly.

Keeper did poorly with both goals.