St. Mirren v Dumbarton Betfred Cup 28/7/18

There were actually a couple of decent results for us tonight for anyone still hankering after a place in the next round.

It's extremely unlikely that goal difference will matter now unless we really went goal crazy.

We need at least two of these four group outcomes to happen:

Group C: Hearts fail to beat ICT in 90 mins. :mellow:

Group D: Dundee fail to beat Brechin in 90 mins. :mellow:

Group F: Airdrie fail to win at Hamilton in 90 mins :) or Livingston lose at home to Berwick :mellow: or Livingston get 1 point and we win by 3 goals. :lol:

Group G: Motherwell take no more than 1 point at Clyde. :lol:

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

7 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

There were actually a couple of decent results for us tonight for anyone still hankering after a place in the next round.

It's extremely unlikely that goal difference will matter now unless we really went goal crazy.

We need at least two of these four group outcomes to happen:

Group C: Hearts fail to beat ICT in 90 mins. :mellow:

Group D: Dundee fail to beat Brechin in 90 mins. :mellow:

Group F: Airdrie fail to win at Hamilton in 90 mins :) or Livingston lose at home to Berwick :mellow: or Livingston get 1 point and we win by 3 goals. :lol:

Group G: Motherwell take no more than 1 point at Clyde. :lol:

Definitely arithmetically possible.  All we can do is make sure we win.  

OK - had a further look at this. Goal difference will not matter unless we score a shedload.

Assumption is we win and reach 9 points

Required outcomes:

Group A - Only one of the teams can reach at least 9 points in the Group so this is dealt with by a Saints win - YES

Group B - Only one of the teams can reach at least 9 points in the Group so this is dealt with by a Saints win - YES

Group C - Hearts need to drop a point at home to Inverness (Group leaders) - UNLIKELY

Group D - Dundee need to drop a point at home to Brechin - UNLIKELY

Group E - Ayr and Partick both on 9 points - a hammering either way required and very unlikely - UNLIKELY

Group F - Airdrie away at Hamilton who can still catch them - need them to drop a point -  GOOD CHANCE

Group G - Motherwell on 7 and away to Clyde and need to drop two points - UNLIKELY

So two of the required four groups go our way automatically with a Saints win

Group F looks very positive

So we need one slightly unexpected result - Hearts and Dundee are the two least unlikely ones :)

43 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

OK - had a further look at this. Goal difference will not matter unless we score a shedload.

Assumption is we win and reach 9 points

Required outcomes:

Group A - Only one of the teams can reach at least 9 points in the Group so this is dealt with by a Saints win - YES

Group B - Only one of the teams can reach at least 9 points in the Group so this is dealt with by a Saints win - YES

Group C - Hearts need to drop a point at home to Inverness (Group leaders) - UNLIKELY

Group D - Dundee need to drop a point at home to Brechin - UNLIKELY

Group E - Ayr and Partick both on 9 points - a hammering either way required and very unlikely - UNLIKELY

Group F - Airdrie away at Hamilton who can still catch them - need them to drop a point -  GOOD CHANCE

Group G - Motherwell on 7 and away to Clyde and need to drop two points - UNLIKELY

So two of the required four groups go our way automatically with a Saints win

Group F looks very positive

So we need one slightly unexpected result - Hearts and Dundee are the two least unlikely ones :)

After Tuesday night I hummed and hawed about going to this game. It looks unlikely that we will qualify now and let's face it we were Rank rotten against Spartans and less noteworthy than a dead pigeon against Queens Park. "I'm not fecking going on Saturday, watching this pish is not fun" was the general consensus at Hampden.

So I made my stance, but that was Tuesday.

Game has now been added to my Smartcard and a ticket for the Rangers game also purchased to add to my masochistic pleasure.

It's like watching a car crash. You don't want to look but you can't draw your eyes away. It can't be any worse than Tuesday can it?

0-0 or a low score draw with saints to win on penalties will no doubt have poor odds but will be a cert going by recent form.

How many will we ship at Ibrox?

WHY AM I TORTURING MYSELF!!!!!!!!

Because When Saturday Comes.........................it's SMTID

That's Life.......

In true st mirren fashion this will be a home win, and a hope as the gods of dodgy football results roll the dice to see if we progress.

personally the win and performance would be the prize to give us a boost ahead of Dundee. Stubbzo took on something Even Tom Cruise would have dubbed "The Real Mission Impossible" that being to build a fully functioning squad from the depleted and serial injury ridden players Ross left behind.

Ross stuffed us by going large on the surgery, but not cutting out the dead flesh!

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

In true st mirren fashion this will be a home win, and a hope as the gods of dodgy football results roll the dice to see if we progress.

personally the win and performance would be the prize to give us a boost ahead of Dundee. Stubbzo took on something Even Tom Cruise would have dubbed "The Real Mission Impossible" that being to build a fully functioning squad from the depleted and serial injury ridden players Ross left behind.

Ross stuffed us by going large on the surgery, but not cutting out the dead flesh!

Don't know why but i am thinking a no scoring draw and we win on pens.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:00 AM, shull said:

Why no special admission price deal for the 2 home league cup Ties ? 

I would prefer ten pounds to get you 2 tickets, aye, a fiver each. 

At worst, the Club could charge twenty for both instead of twenty four. 

And a pound per game for children. 

That would be thinking outside the box Shull- u should be on the BOD- You have my vote :thumbsup

Not wanting to wind anyone up but I'm looking forward to seeing Rory Loy back at the Simple Digital Arena on Saturday. I think he has had a tough year. I thought his podcasts were excellent. Seems a very decent guy and I wish him well in his ambition to be a manager.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:00 AM, shull said:

Why no special admission price deal for the 2 home league cup Ties ? 

I would prefer ten pounds to get you 2 tickets, aye, a fiver each. 

At worst, the Club could charge twenty for both instead of twenty four. 

And a pound per game for children. 

It's no going to happen. We need the funds for a striker. :rolleyes:

Can't see us progressing even if we do win as only the 4 best 2nd placed teams progress.

Ayr/Partick both already on 9 points with superior goal difference.

Motherwell have 7 points but playing Clyde also superior goal difference so they should have 10 points.

Dundee on 6 points again superior goal difference and playing Brechin at home so should have 9 points.

Hearts on 6 points again superior goal difference and playing ICT at home so should have 9 points.

Airdrie on 6 points with superior goal difference but with a difficult derby at Hamilton but if they win 9 points and goal difference better than ours.

St Mirren on 6 points with zero goal difference so could have maximum 9 points but probably with a very low goal difference.

Bogey team over recent years.  This is the one to win. Ex Saints players in their side.  Saints to win 3...1
Certainly one to win, but 3-1 won't be enough to qualify. Recent results and performances aside, there-s no reason why we shouldn't expect to be able to hammer them properly. And who knows, perhaps well get a pleasant surprise today.

Perhaps not....

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Black and White Army mobile app

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I guess the bookies see a full time Premiership team at home to a part time league one team.

Surely a home banker... right?

Don't they look at recent results? :ph34r:

I think it's a decent bet it'll be Dumbarton nil.................it's the other bit that's uncertain. 

Edited by faraway saint

With our chances of progressing looking slim all we can hope for today is a decent performance and hopefully a win. Wouldn't want to be going into the League opener next week without a win pre season.  

Score prediction- 3-1 Saints. 

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

With our chances of progressing looking slim all we can hope for today is a decent performance and hopefully a win. Wouldn't want to be going into the League opener next week without a win pre season.  

Score prediction- 3-1 Saints. 

My score prediction too Munoz but should the team score 7, I won't complain! 

9 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

Hoping for the breakthrough performance of preseason and a comfortable 5-0 victory. I'm hoping so anyway since I had a dream last night that we made it to the final... (Unlikely I know!!)

I don't think we have even had 5 shots on target yet!