St. Mirren v Dumbarton Betfred Cup 28/7/18

1 hour ago, BigD said:

Lay off the guy ! Scored one of - the most ? - important goals in our history at Easter road . Not a waster like Hutton and carswell were .

Well said. We should never  forget that goal - that’s why he got  applause today from loads of saints fans in main stand. Bit sad actually as he looked a shadow of the player he was. As for Carswell and Hutton - especially Carswell who’s tackles today we’re shocking - they shouldn’t even rate a mention 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Quite a few "supporters" must be busy tonight, can't find the time to post on a great result................................:whistle

Hope you urnae mocking members of our St Mirren Family ?  :byebye

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I think the format is brilliant, always been keen since it's inception.

Smaller (and usually part time) clubs (League One and below) are guaranteed a match away to a bigger side and a home match against a bigger side. Helps boost their coffers while potentially also getting a rare trip to somewhere like Killie/'Well/Saints, which is nice for a part time player. North/south divide stops too much travelling early on for most clubs. Having the group in July clears off a large part of the tournament so there's no concern of a fixture pile up. It looks like it starts early, but most teams in this competition finish in April/May so they still get the month break before pre-season, and a month of pre-season in before the Cup. Lines up well with the early European entrants as well. The penalty shootout idea after 90mins is excellent and it's good to see the 90 min wins rewarded better. The 2nd placed fight is always tense and GD being important means you can't risk holding back from scoring more. It also creates a very different tournament from the Scottish Cup, as the only differences before were seeded draws and less entrants.

I think it's the best change in Scottish football in years. I hope they don't change it up anytime soon (might need tweaked if Scotland got back to 5 European entries).

I think this cup format is excellent too.

It did throw up that ridiculous situation last year though: was it Ian Cathro's last game at Hearts? A dead rubber game which culminated in a penalty shoot-out!

Stevie Clarke said, given how early in the season we're playing, 5 subs instead of 3 would be a helpful tweak for the group stages. We might see that next year.

Unable to get to Paisley today but have a question, I was at Spartans and Sunderland and noticed Allan McManus didn't seem to be involved with first team is that what others have seen or was I just inobservant. I thought this was a real plus last season as a link between youth side and first team and hoped it would continue under thd new manager.

15 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

OMG we listed 8 substitutes!

Hide contents

Ross Stewart (19) was listed twice - as a starter and as a sub! :wacko:

BTW - Great game! 

Perhaps the other Ross Stewart is actually still with us, and the two of them swapped at half time hoping no one would notice...

Great game. Dumbarton were not actually that bad. The early goal settled us (and what a goal) The the rest of the half played out a bit like last years encounters Saints comfortable but not really punishing the sons. The 4-3-3 looked a bit a narrow certainly on the right,  and then Paul McGinn hits the byline sends over a great cross and 2-0 

Second half another quick goal and it was all over. Then McGinn's wonder goal.  After that credit to Dumbarton they tried to push forward, but Saints could almost pick them of at will. A scrappy goal and then a worldy from Cammie. 

A  lot of good performances.

Baird absolutely strolled it,

21 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Great game. Dumbarton were not actually that bad. The early goal settled us (and what a goal) The the rest of the half played out a bit like last years encounters Saints comfortable but not really punishing the sons. The 4-3-3 looked a bit a narrow certainly on the right,  and then Paul McGinn hits the byline sends over a great cross and 2-0 

Second half another quick goal and it was all over. Then McGinn's wonder goal.  After that credit to Dumbarton they tried to push forward, but Saints could almost pick them of at will. A scrappy goal and then a worldy from Cammie. 

A  lot of good performances.

Baird absolutely strolled it,

Dont know if i agree with that Bud, i thought Dumbarton looked toothless and certainly caused us a lot less problems than Spartans.  

According to the Beeb they only had two attempts at goal and never forced Sammy into a single save.

As an aside ,The former Saints in their line up showed exactly why the are former Saints 

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

Dont know if i agree with that Bud, i thought Dumbarton looked toothless and certainly caused us a lot less problems than Spartans.  

According to the Beeb they only had two attempts at goal and never forced Sammy into a single save.

As an aside ,The former Saints in their line up showed exactly why the are former Saints 

How did St Mirren play? :blink:

Just now, faraway saint said:

How did St Mirren play? :blink:

I understand my post might read as negative but believe me it was not intended to be and was only in response to Insaintees post.

I thought we looked really good at times today and at last showed a bit more cohesion and bite.  Good individual performances from both McGinns, Baird & Cammy plus a promising debut from Willock.  Certainly more promising than last weeks performances .

That was night and day compared to the previous two competitive matches. The early goal settled us, no doubt, but we moved the ball around quickly and never allowed Dumbarton to get settled into any sort of shape.

There will be harder matches to come obviously but you can only beat what’s put in front of you and performances like this are a great platform to build on.

No poor performers in the team at all but Willock looked very decent in the first half and Cammy also looked back to his best.

I’m sure Stubbs will be active in the transfer market this week and another couple of good additions will send us into the Dundee game with our tails up.

I personally did not see that coming after the last few results so credit where it’s due to Stubbs and the team.

First goal for us today about a year after signing. Ross thought he wasn’t good enough for the Championship...

Don’t doubt he’s an excellent league 1 player and his goal against a league one side today would back that up.

Premiership player though?
1st goal? He scored at stranny on his debut did he not?

Also against East Kilbride.

Billy Mehmet didn't exactly set the heather alight during his first season in the championship and he went on to play a lot of matches in the premier league.

15 minutes ago, Hambud said:

1st goal? He scored at stranny on his debut did he not?

Also against East Kilbride.

Billy Mehmet didn't exactly set the heather alight during his first season in the championship and he went on to play a lot of matches in the premier league.

Yeah, there is usually a guy who surprises everyone when they take the step up. When we won the league under Gus nobody would have expected it would be Mehmet rather than Kean or Sutton who went on to be a key player and a saints legend. I actually thought it would be Mullen who stepped up this season. Maybe it still will.