St. Mirren v Dumbarton Betfred Cup 28/7/18

24 minutes ago, Hambud said:
15 hours ago, faraway saint said:
35 yards anyone? 

It was 40 no less.

Whatever it was it was ridiculous. There's no way a player should even be seeing that it on, much less going for it. 

We've seen some amount of top quality goals down that end of the ground down the years, those two yesterday were right up there. McGinns goal also came at the end of a move involving 13 or 14 passes. 

21 minutes ago, Hambud said:

1st goal? He scored at stranny on his debut did he not?

Also against East Kilbride.

Billy Mehmet didn't exactly set the heather alight during his first season in the championship and he went on to play a lot of matches in the premier league.

Here's the thing about guys who are 20, 21. They are still developing. Ross only turned 22 last week and there is still a lot of potential there. 

I think a lot of St. Mirren fans are now realising that letting a young guy with his scoring record go is a bit daft. I'm not suggesting he's of the same mould but look at St. Johnstone with Stevie May. They fired him out on loan gradually through the leagues to prove he was good enough at each increasing level. 

I never thought I'd say this but of the three centre forwards on our books just now, losing Ross Stewart would be the one that would sting the most because of what could be with him. 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Whatever it was it was ridiculous. There's no way a player should even be seeing that it on, much less going for it. 

We've seen some amount of top quality goals down that end of the ground down the years, those two yesterday were right up there. McGinns goal also came at the end of a move involving 13 or 14 passes. 

Is the Smith goal on the internet anywhere? I missed it as my daughter dropped her space raiders at that exact moment!

Is the Smith goal on the internet anywhere? I missed it as my daughter dropped her space raiders at that exact moment!

Not being funny, but that’s shocking! You could’ve at least got her monster munch :P

Goals will be online later I’d imagine if not by tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I never thought I'd say this but of the three centre forwards on our books just now, losing Ross Stewart would be the one that would sting the most because of what could be with him. 

I've been banging the drum for Ross since before he  went out on loan. When you look at it , he has pace , height,  is good on the ground and has improved dramatically in the air since he signed , we should be getting him on an extended contract !

53 minutes ago, norman said:

Yeah, there is usually a guy who surprises everyone when they take the step up. When we won the league under Gus nobody would have expected it would be Mehmet rather than Kean or Sutton who went on to be a key player and a saints legend. I actually thought it would be Mullen who stepped up this season. Maybe it still will.

It took Billy a couple of years to get going with us as well. Unimpressive in the Championship apart from his goals at the end of the season (Dundee and Stranraer). Non existent in the SPL until that fateful day in Motherwell when he and Sutton came off the bench. After Sutton left we needed someone to step up and fill the void, and Billy improved hugely. He wasn't as prolific as Sutton (or Higdon after) but his contributions were huge.

One thing I'd noticed yesterday was that the players were actually getting shots away. Kpawaka (spelling) had about 3 attempts, Mullan, King and McGennis all had long range efforts which was night and day with Tuesday where we actually couldn't create the space to get shots away.

All through Tuesday I was thinking "hit it" especially given how small their keeper appeared to be but we couldn't test him which was infuriating.

For what it's worth I've a feeling we might see one or two crackers from Kpawaka this season as he seems to want to get strikes away. We might also see him break a few chairs though [emoji23]

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I've been banging the drum for Ross since before he  went out on loan. When you look at it , he has pace , height,  is good on the ground and has improved dramatically in the air since he signed , we should be getting him on an extended contract !

As have I been. However, I could see that he was exceptionally raw. 

The most important attribute in a centre forward is awareness in the opposition penalty area and from the off, that's what I've liked about Ross. He gets into the right areas. 

Just watched the highlights on Buddievision. That looked like a stroll in the park, with some great goals.

Special mention for the contribution of one Saints fan after Hutton fouled McGinn(S) towards the end of the game - "f**king non-entity!" :lol:

Excellent performance yesterday playing with a formation that suited the players. They all played well but special mention to Paul McGinn who had previously come in for some stick but had a very good game; Coulson's attacking play; Captain fantastic; debut boy Willock; and Magennis playing in the unusual left side in the diamond. But MoM is undoubtedly Cammy Smith. Hopefully Stubbs continues with this midfield diamond.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:17 PM, stlucifer said:

Got to say. You're mental if you think we'll make the last 16 Shull. There are 3 teams who are 99% likely to top us on goal difference and 3 teams who could equal our tally by winning their 3rd game. Unless Killie Fcuk it up we cannot qualify. Even if they did we'd still have to buck the trend and actually win a game.

How did that work for you?

Though confirming Shull as mental is a bonus.

6 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

St Lucifer was one of a number of forumsters who have watched Scottish football for decades but seemingly know nothing about what makes it tick. You cannot predict anything with any certainty, let alone 99%.

We can lose 8 games in a row 4-0 and turn up the following week and eat Celtic 3-0.

It's what I love about the game.

8 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

As well as I could have hoped for,... and more.

I challenge any sane person to honestly say that they  thought we'd put SIX past any team on the strength of what had previously transpired.

Glad to have been proven wrong though.

Edited by stlucifer