St. Mirren v Dumbarton Betfred Cup 28/7/18

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

St Lucifer was one of a number of forumsters who have watched Scottish football for decades but seemingly know nothing about what makes it tick. You cannot predict anything with any certainty, let alone 99%.

We can lose 8 games in a row 4-0 and turn up the following week and eat Celtic 3-0.

It's what I love about the game.

Greedy, (ETA), pompous bassa,.. And no taste either.

Edited by stlucifer

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

St Lucifer was one of a number of forumsters who have watched Scottish football for decades but seemingly know nothing about what makes it tick. You cannot predict anything with any certainty, let alone 99%.

We can lose 8 games in a row 4-0 and turn up the following week and eat Celtic 3-0.

It's what I love about the game.

You have a point there. The season we lost 1-5 and 4-0 to Falkirk, we followed those games up with a 1-1 at Parkhead and nearly drew at LS until Nakamura dived for that 87th min free kick.

9 man Rangers beat us in the Cup final then we pump Celtic 4-0 3 days later being another.

I thought we played some great football yesterday and scored some great goals. This was a timely confidence boost before the league opener and can only help going forward. Dumbarton weren't great but you only beat what's put in front of you. The new guys looked good too yesterday and the fitness levels look to be improving.

7 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I thought we played some great football yesterday and scored some great goals. This was a timely confidence boost before the league opener and can only help going forward. Dumbarton weren't great but you only beat what's put in front of you. The new guys looked good too yesterday and the fitness levels look to be improving.

I know quite a few posters were looking out the torches and pitchforks for Stubbzo, but these five games weve just played are purely to build fitness, and bed in formations. Next week it starts for real and Dundee dont look like the team who bullied us out of a friendly last year, and we dont look like an outfit to be easily pushed aside.

18 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I know quite a few posters were looking out the torches and pitchforks for Stubbzo, but these five games weve just played are purely to build fitness, and bed in formations. Next week it starts for real and Dundee dont look like the team who bullied us out of a friendly last year, and we dont look like an outfit to be easily pushed aside.

It's looking positive, i like Alan Stubbs and i like what he has to say when interviewed. He's still looking for more players which bodes well because we've already got the makings of a good team. GS and TF would not have given him a 3 year contract if they didn't like what they heard and i trust their judgement.

11 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

It's looking positive, i like Alan Stubbs and i like what he has to say when interviewed. He's still looking for more players which bodes well because we've already got the makings of a good team. GS and TF would not have given him a 3 year contract if they didn't like what they heard and i trust their judgement.

Many were slagging off this very decision only a few days ago. :wink:

Many were slagging off this very decision only a few days ago. default_wink.png

It certainly bucked the trend of recent managerial contracts.

The positive aspect is that he can talk to prospective players about his long term vision for the club and if we do well and someone wants to poach him then we’ll get money.

Downside is if his tenure follows the the trend of so many of our gaffers then we’re likely paying up a decent part of that contract.

Let’s hope it’s the former.[emoji120]

14 minutes ago, DLBud said:

It certainly bucked the trend of recent managerial contracts.

The positive aspect is that he can talk to prospective players about his long term vision for the club and if we do well and someone wants to poach him then we’ll get money.

Downside is if his tenure follows the the trend of so many of our gaffers then we’re likely paying up a decent part of that contract.

Let’s hope it’s the former.emoji120.png

Most people would be aware of the 2 scenarios, it was the latter people choose to focus on in the last week. 

hopefully the QP and Spartans games were the anomalies and the real saints showed their stuff in the other two group games.  Dundee are good first opponents as they don't appear to be ready, but that could change.

The St Mirren ride is a 1920s rollercoaster, not a monorail or a bullet train.  The saints fan's weekly summary should be "I'll see where we are next week"

3 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

Was that because a few days ago results and performances hadn't been so good?

One swallow and aw that!

Maybe you should heed this saying too.

You had predicted Armageddon after a couple of poor performances.

Glasshouses and stones............................................................:wink:.

Edited by FTOF