St. Mirren v Dumbarton Betfred Cup 28/7/18

Awesome performance today and we are in last 16.

We looked a lot sharper today and Dumbarton couldn’t cope - Cammy Smith my MOM but mentions as well for McGinn, Coulson, Stewart, Magennis and Willock. 

Back four won’t have an easier game all season but their shape looked much better today. Things are on the up - who’d have thought it !

COYS !

Great performance. New signings aside think that could be the starting line up on Saturday. No player got bad marks today. Up front Stewart lead the line well and got his deserved goal. Smith brilliant his 2nd goal will be hard to beat this season S. McGinn was outstanding. Our passing was superb compared to Tuesday. Willock had a excellent game considering he only arrived last night. Im sure that will give the whole squad a big morale boost. But worst Dumbarton team I've seen in a long time. Don't think Sammy made a save. Coys

Got to say I'm astounded, and delighted, by the turnaround.

I hope this is the real Stubbs' Saints. I would have bet my house on us not reaching the latter stages of the competition so well done to all. Players and coaching staff.

ETA. That's precisely why the bookies don't see my money.

Edited by stlucifer

What a fantastic day 

We fecking done it. 

Qualified and in the Draw tomorrow. 

I am so happy. 

An outstanding Team performance. 

And to round it off, got a ten quid hire from the Anchor Bar back to Mosspark.

Saturday is a fabulous St Mirren day. 

Edited by shull

Excellent result, excellent performance all round. It was as timely as they come.

Willock was very impressive in his role and looks like he'll be important to us. Was delighted for Ross Stewart to get his goal as well. As a target man, we really should be trying to keep hold of him as he'll chip in with half a dozen from the bench. An important player to have.

Really delighted for Kellerman as well. He's had his share of criticism, myself included but his confidence grew and grew in the half hour he got today and was getting more and more involved. His goal will come as a relief to him as well, I'd imagine.

Great team performance. One point of note for me was just how vocal Sammy was. I have never heard him shout as much. Sammy marshalled the defence and the midfield at times. The team seemed to come together at the end in a wee bit of a huddle as well. Big Alan shouted and cajoled from the technical area for a full 90 minutes. What a change. All very pleasing.

29 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

But these cup games are only to be seen as practice for the league? 

......................... said all the guys who defended Stubbs after two horrendous performances !

Fantastic result, great tempo to game which really made a difference. Good range of goals and defence never threatened, plus we did enough to qualify. Hoping this is a reflection of the team having time to gel and get fitter. However, Dumbarton were very poor and our job was made easier by the two early goals forcing them to open up a bit. Also though I felt Ross Stewart had his best game for us and scored, still doesn't convince me. Ball often gets away from him and seems at times not in control of gangly body. I know he did well for Alloa but not sure he is a real solution at premiership level. Roll on next week to see how we build on this

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

.. so undefeated, 3 clean sheets, 8 goals at home and safely through. :lol:

In the next round we'll play one of the following:

Old Firm, Hibs, Aberdeen, Ayr, Dunfermline, St Johnstone, ICT / Livi

Ayr away for me. Great atmosphere in a cracking old ground.

Delighted with that result and to see us through to the next round after failing to do so in previous seasons. Would ideally have won the group as 1 of the top 4 teams after the position we were in after the Killie game - but an encouraging step in the right direction nevertheless. 

Couldn’t make the game today but sounds like it all came together well against a pretty poor Dumbarton. Delighted to see Ross Stewart get a goal and 2 for Cammy who has had a frustrating few games. 

Hopefully everyone can take a chill pill now, look forward to our flag day next week and give Stubbs a break as he works on a few more signings. 

Glad to see Div step down from his unhelpful #TeamEck nonsense on Twitter last night. That wouldn’t help anything. We need to unite behind the gaffer and players on the park. 

Onwards we go! 

Come on ye Saints! 

Fantastic result, much more like it. Great to see the likes of Kellerman and Coulson scoring too.

Shame we didn't top the group but 2nd runner up is safe, we've taken 3rd place there (behind Dundee and QOTS). Hearts/ICT can't overtake us as a 2nd placed side, and Partick are the ones sitting on the edge.

Well done Stubbs and the team for being the first Saints side to get past the group stage. 4 wins from the trophy now, although we could draw them all now we are brilliant at penalties after all!

Good day to be a Buddie.

8 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Absolutely seething emoji36.png

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Great result Some great goals and through to the next round can’t ask for much more than that.

Now , come on brainless , why would I be seething when the team I was first taken to watch in 1967 win 6-0 , come on , tell me ?