Queens Park v St. Mirren Betfred Cup 24/7/18

1 hour ago, zico said:

I'm guessing that Middlesbrough see Coulson as a left back rather than a winger and that Coulson probably sees this as well. I've read that he was a left winger earlier in his career and was pushed back into defence.

Just because a full back looks good when attacking doesn't automatically mean that they would make good wingers. It could be that they are good at running at defences when running from deep. Wingers aren't usually able to do this and sometimes also have to be looking to get behind defences to run onto through balls.

I would hope that this would be a game where Heaton gets a game. If he isn't good enough to face Queens Park then that would be alarming.

Assuming no new signings, I'd go with

Rodgers - McGinn, Heaton, Kpekawa, Coulson - Flynn, McShane, McGinn, Magennis - Smith - Mullen

Magennis has been injured.  Not sure about McShane. Might give Ross Stewart a start.

Samson

McGinn Baird Heaton Eckersley

McGinn McPherson

Flynn Smith Coulson

Mullen

Even that team doesn’t fill me with confidence. Few signings before then please and most important of all please play Adam Eckersley. Already looking at a must win in my opinion or it’s jacket shaky nail territory for Stubbs!

ETA - Anybody know when Magennis is due back?

I'm guessing that Middlesbrough see Coulson as a left back rather than a winger and that Coulson probably sees this as well. I've read that he was a left winger earlier in his career and was pushed back into defence.
Just because a full back looks good when attacking doesn't automatically mean that they would make good wingers. It could be that they are good at running at defences when running from deep. Wingers aren't usually able to do this and sometimes also have to be looking to get behind defences to run onto through balls.
I would hope that this would be a game where Heaton gets a game. If he isn't good enough to face Queens Park then that would be alarming.
Assuming no new signings, I'd go with
Rodgers - McGinn, Heaton, Kpekawa, Coulson - Flynn, McShane, McGinn, Magennis - Smith - Mullen

Assuming Eckersley and GMac won’t play, Sammy aside, thats probably our best XI right now which sacres the shit out of me.

4 hours ago, munoz said:

A win and a good performance are very much needed from this game. The new signings need to step up and show that they are good enough to be playing at this level. 

Never mind this level, first they need to be showing they can at least play at QPs level! :lol:

Hopefully a comfortable 3 or 4-0 win to get the morale back up. Don't want to be going into the Dundee game with the negative feeling around the team at the moment.
I'd like to see us start with 2 up front - Stewart joining Mullen with Smith just behind. Every reason to be positive and go for goals. I believe AS will get the defence sorted.

2 hours ago, SBS said:

Never been to Hampden for a Queens Park game before only international's and semis/finals.
Assume we can use the car park for this one?

I've seen us v QP in 8 league games , W 2 D1 L5 , believe it or not !

26 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Wonder if there will be any spare seats going

Depends on how many season tickets they have sold.... Someone told me it might be difficult to get to our games unless you have a season ticket! 

Free car park and 5 pounds access for old guys like me! 

Truth is that QP was a massive club in its early days. 

Edited by St.Ricky

18 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Depends on how many season tickets they have sold.... Someone told me it might be difficult to get to our games unless you have a season ticket! 

Free car park and 5 pounds access for old guys like me! 

Truth is that QP was a massive club in its early days. 

Yes Ricky- 130 years ago. You're not that old :lol:

5 minutes ago, Buddie-Boy said:

There is no excuse for any St. Mirren side not to beat a team of amateurs relegated from League 1 last season.   Should be a comfortable win for us. 

Should and will are different things. 

I hope we create as many chances as we did against Spartans but convert more. 

Being a Gus MacPherson team I imagine they will sit in and be difficult to break down.  Which would be a relief, as I don't trust our defence in the slightest at the moment.

I've been very critical of what I have seen so far but I will be there backing the team 100%.  Hoping to see a more settled team, would like to see Cammy McPherson start again and Cammy Smith and Danny Mullen back in the middle of the park.