Queens Park v St. Mirren Betfred Cup 24/7/18

Big game this.

Already rumblings of discontent among the masses. Failure to win against an amateur team and there will be... well a meltdown or 3 I would guess.

Also if we fail to win we’ll surely be out the league cup.

Must win!

I’ll head along and I’m confident of a 0-1 victory.

With perhaps Magennis back in, and more or less the starting line up that played Killie (as surely the trialists have been let go?) Then i go for a Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat result...."Any Win Will Do"....

that will be progress and a chance like any smart dog to kick some grass over that shit and move on!

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

With perhaps Magennis back in, and more or less the starting line up that played Killie (as surely the trialists have been let go?) Then i go for a Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat result...."Any Win Will Do"....

that will be progress and a chance like any smart dog to kick some grass over that shit and move on!

LPM. You make amazing sense!

2 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Hopefully Stubbs will see sense and get Cammy back where he belongs in the number 10 role. Mullen also has to start as the main striker. 

This is an important game for Stubbs as there are already rumblings amongst the fans about his inability to recruit players, up to the required standard.

Sorry i did have to laugh at that "Mullen as the main striker". He never has been, and never will be such, and i guess is likely to be let go, or dropped if Stubbzo gets his replacements in. All of course imo!

33 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Sorry i did have to laugh at that "Mullen as the main striker". He never has been, and never will be such, and i guess is likely to be let go, or dropped if Stubbzo gets his replacements in. All of course imo!

You don’t like Mullen fair enough. I rate him highly as it’s all about opinions. There are two strikers at the club at this moment in time, Mullen and Ross Stewart, who else can Stubbs realistically play as a main striker then ? His recruitment policy of 5th tier non league players from England might be doing it for you, but it’s never going to work for me. He’s seriously underestimating the quality of players required to compete at this level. So with that in mind he better up his game significantly and sign 5 quality players. While there is still time, forgive me if I don’t hold my breath in anticipation.

48 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

You don’t like Mullen fair enough. I rate him highly as it’s all about opinions. There are two strikers at the club at this moment in time, Mullen and Ross Stewart, who else can Stubbs realistically play as a main striker then ? His recruitment policy of 5th tier non league players from England might be doing it for you, but it’s never going to work for me. He’s seriously underestimating the quality of players required to compete at this level. So with that in mind he better up his game significantly and sign 5 quality players. While there is still time, forgive me if I don’t hold my breath in anticipation.

As you highlight its really Hobson's choice for Stubbzo at the moment, go with Mullen who isnt a striker, or play the beanpole and hope he's a handful. Think you might be writing off the new recruits a tad early as we've only had in reality three pre season games, and lost just one. He needs a twenty plus goal man in asap.

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

As you highlight its really Hobson's choice for Stubbzo at the moment, go with Mullen who isnt a striker, or play the beanpole and hope he's a handful. Think you might be writing off the new recruits a tad early as we've only had in reality three pre season games, and lost just one. He needs a twenty plus goal man in asap.

A tad over ambitious with your "20 plus goal man " . No one reached that target last season in the Premiership. I'd settle for a 10 plus striker at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

Hopefully Stubbs will see sense and get Cammy back where he belongs in the number 10 role. Mullen also has to start as the main striker. 

This is an important game for Stubbs as there are already rumblings amongst the fans about his inability to recruit players, up to the required standard.

Thinking?   mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what if?  the Forum could decide which posters to 'let go' mmmmm I wonder who might make THAT list  :lol:

[Moving this to the correct thread]

"Home" tie for me and the wee man as its a 15 min walk to the South Stand from the house for us.

Here's hoping for a moral boosting win with a solid performance.

Two wins with a few goals thrown into the mix and the LC may still be alive for us.

The "few goals" bit is the part I'm a bit anxious about... 

Ah well here we go again. My optimism after the Kilmarnock game has been somewhat dimmed but it's match day and I'll toddle along and offer my support. 

Meddling in team affairs isn't my thing (As you will see) but I would suggest we need to get a settled team before the Dundee game. A key element has to be effort and commitment. It was present at Rugby Park but apart from a McGinn influx against Spartans it's been non-existent in the last two games. Let’s see what Stubb's boys can do. Whilst I think Eckersley and Gary Mac or even McShane or Ross Stewart would help win this game it’s clear Stubbs doesn’t rate them, so I won’t include them.

My first concern is Rogers. There must be a goalie in there somewhere, but maybe I just haven't seen it yet. He needs to sharpen up big style and start commanding the box. His floundering about cost us dearly against Spartans and he wasn't too clever against Sunderland either But.....

In Goals Rogers. Get him match fit and build his confidence.

Right back Paul McGinn he hasn't been great, but he has made some promising runs past the opposition last man to get in crosses. He needs to deliver the crosses better.

Kpekawa and Heaton Centre backs. Kpekawa looked decent against Kilmarnock but was a lump of lard against Sunderland. Get that boy sharper and fitter. Heaton is a big boy who can win the ball in the air, but feck knows where it’s going go when he heads it. Get some heading practice in tonight Heaton.

Left Back Coulson. Can he defend? Let him practice but at least he can go forward.

Midfield Smith, McGinn, Magennis and Flynn.  Play McGinn as a ball winner and Cammy in his forward role with Magennis and Flynn in support.

Forwards King (will hopefully get better as he gets fitter) and Cooke (he can’t be as bad as he looks. Just move you arse and go for the ball You’re a big guy get in there.)

Subs Sammy, Mullen, Baird, McPherson, Kellerman, (except for Kellerman we know what these guys can do.)

We can only P**S with the C**K we have and Stubbs has indicated these guys will be in his plans so lets get them on the park and show us what they can do. Have some faith in your Squad Stubbs. Stop fecking about with trialists and guys you think won’t make it. It’s your job on the line. Get your team on the park, stick a rocket up their arse and show us they give a FECK enough to go out there and beat an amateur team from League two. Not too much to ask from a PREMIER LEAGUE club.

Then once tonight’s over get back on inspiring your team and bringing in class signings so I can look forward to August 4 instead of turning to drink.

I’ll be in the Clockwork Beer Co from 6.30pm practising for the Dundee Game.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Thinking?   mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what if?  the Forum could decide which posters to 'let go' mmmmm I wonder who might make THAT list  :lol:

Virutally everyone who had a different point of view from the herd. Then that same forum would complain about how the forum was dead. :lol:

I wouldnt let the main forumsters decide on the colour of the website let alone who should be let go :lol:

2 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Left Back Coulson. Can he defend? Let him practice but at least he can go forward.

Eh?

The only time that Coulson was posted missing was for the last 20 minutes or so in the Sunderland game, when we had thrown caution to the wind in our vain attempts to score a goal.

Even in the second half, when he was caught out of position, a couple of times he tracked back and won the ball due to his pace.

He seemed to defend pretty well against Kilmarnock.

I would start Mullen and Stewart tonight.

I don’t think either of them are up to the Premiership but might aswell get them some minutes before we sign our first choice proven Premiership level strikers (Yes I believe at least two of them are coming).

Seen some people talking the league cup down on here and elsewhere recently. As if the early season group stages have made it less valuable or desirable than it was previously.

Not for me. Firstly, we have two chances to win a major trophy every year and this is one of them. Therefore it’s a hugely important competition for the football club. We’d all love another 2013/1987 and that’s what makes games like tonight more important than the league games for me.

League position, relegation and promotion comes and goes. Always has always will. It’s the cups that create the memories and the legends.

Secondly, I quite like the group stages. Think it’s a good format that gets some competitive football in early on. Certainly better than the Renfrewshire cup anyway and it’s a nice wee earner for clubs to get at least 4 games in. It’s pre season for everyone so no one can use that as an excuse and it’s also designed in such a way that the full time clubs really should be making it through.

Despite this, we somehow managed to get knocked out of our group in 2016 and 2017. Can’t be happening in 2018 too. Win tonight and win on Saturday and then let’s win this trophy again.

Just now, FTOF said:

Eh?

The only time that Coulson was posted missing was for the last 20 minutes or so in the Sunderland game, when we had thrown caution to the wind in our vain attempts to score a goal.

Even in the second half, when he was caught out of position, a couple of times he tracked back and won the ball due to his pace.

He seemed to defend pretty well against Kilmarnock.

All the more reason to practice. I've been impressed by him though unlike the others. There is definitely a player in there. I want to see all Stubbs signings  all on the park to see how they gel together and I would rather see it now than Stubbs thinking on August 4. I wonder how all my new boys would look in the same team.