Queens Park v St. Mirren Betfred Cup 24/7/18

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I would start Mullen and Stewart tonight.

I don’t think either of them are up to the Premiership but might aswell get them some minutes before we sign our first choice proven Premiership level strikers (Yes I believe at least two of them are coming).

Seen some people talking the league cup down on here and elsewhere recently. As if the early season group stages have made it less valuable or desirable than it was previously.

Not for me. Firstly, we have two chances to win a major trophy every year and this is one of them. Therefore it’s a hugely important competition for the football club. We’d all love another 2013/1987 and that’s what makes games like tonight more important than the league games for me.

League position, relegation and promotion comes and goes. Always has always will. It’s the cups that create the memories and the legends.

Secondly, I quite like the group stages. Think it’s a good format that gets some competitive football in early on. Certainly better than the Renfrewshire cup anyway and it’s a nice wee earner for clubs to get at least 4 games in. It’s pre season for everyone so no one can use that as an excuse and it’s also designed in such a way that the full time clubs really should be making it through.

Despite this, we somehow managed to get knocked out of our group in 2016 and 2017. Can’t be happening in 2018 too. Win tonight and win on Saturday and then let’s win this trophy again.

Stewart has handed in his transfer request, cant see him playing.

I like the group stages to- But in July ?

If you think they are on their way or won't be in future contention. Why bother. Got to look to the future. No matter how bleak it looks. Get the new boys on

Well we need to win the game firstly. Who else can we play upfront?

Stewart is a proven goalscorer at league 1 level. Horses for courses etc.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well we need to win the game firstly. Who else can we play upfront?

Stewart is a proven goalscorer at league 1 level. Horses for courses etc.

I get the need to win bit but if at any point last season did anyone say, We would be relying on Ross Stewart to win I would have thought either 

1. Feck we're in the S**T or

2 .Jesus that boys going to improve by leaps and bounds in the next few months.

Sadly the shot he had against Spartans is still orbiting the moon so I think it clear which one I think. Stewart was never the answer and I don't think he ever will be. The worrying bit is from evidence so far Cooke is worse and King is suspect but hopefully there is something there we haven't seen yet while Ross Stewart has showed us stuff and if we're relying on him.

"MUMMY. "

Edited by East Lothian Saint

I would like to win our two remaining group games and go into the first league game unbeaten in competitive games.  Over to you for team selection and tactics Mr Stubbs. Over to you Mr Fitzpatrick to deal successfully in the transfer market.  Over to Mr Scott for stadium improvements. 

17 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I get the need to win bit but if at any point last season did anyone say, We would be relying on Ross Stewart to win I would have thought either 

1. Feck we're in the S**T or

2 .Jesus that boys going to improve by leaps and bounds in the next few months.

Sadly the shot he had against Spartans is still orbiting the moon so I think it clear which one I think. Stewart was never the answer and I don't think he ever will be. The worrying bit is from evidence so far Cooke is worse and King is suspect but hopefully there is something there we haven't seen yet while Ross Stewart has showed us stuff and if we're relying on him.

"MUMMY. "

East.  I watched Alloa play a couple of times, albeit at a lower level, and Stewart played well as did Kirkpatrick.  Both were pivotal in Alloa's promotion. 

First game of the season for me due to holidays. Looking forward to it....

Fancy is to win by a few. The Spartans draw and humping from Sunderland will have given the players a shock.

I would go

Samson/Rogers (not fussed)

McGinn
Kpekawa
Heaton
Coulson

McGinn
Magennis / McPherson

Flynn
Smith
King

Cooke

16 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

First game of the season for me due to holidays. Looking forward to it....

Fancy is to win by a few. The Spartans draw and humping from Sunderland will have given the players a shock.

I would go

Samson/Rogers (not fussed)

McGinn
Kpekawa
Heaton
Coulson

McGinn
Magennis / McPherson

Flynn
Smith
King

Cooke

Subs? 

4 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

Good news if true but surely to early to throw him straight back in no matter how desperate we are.

Why not?

He had a mild groin strain.

I also don't believe that we're "desperate".

Edited by FTOF

Just now, aldo_j said:

Keep seeing mention that Ross Stewart has handed in a transfer request. I assume that this is just the usual whispers? Nothing officially mentioned.

Nothing official

A bit daft of him given our lack of strikers IMO.

Unless of course he's been "tapped up" and knows that another club is willing to take him on board.

12 hours ago, Kemp said:

Being a Gus MacPherson team I imagine they will sit in and be difficult to break down.  Which would be a relief, as I don't trust our defence in the slightest at the moment.

I've been very critical of what I have seen so far but I will be there backing the team 100%.  Hoping to see a more settled team, would like to see Cammy McPherson start again and Cammy Smith and Danny Mullen back in the middle of the park.

We need two men sent off. It did work against Gus last time around at Hampden.

Edited by stlucifer

Saints to turn in a much more professional performance and win 2-0.

John McGinn will move to Celtic and the signings will start arriving at St Mirren as a result of our significant windfall.

onwards and upwards!

Edited by Mr Zo

Must win tonight (90 mins, not pens). Otherwise Last 16 chances will be on the edge.

A narrow (90 min) win will give us a good chance to make the Last 16 but won't restore much confidence in either the team or fans. A decent win (3+ goals) will restore some pride and get the confidence starting to flow again. Anything that isn't a 90 min win will require me to buy new boxers as I will be shitting myself for the season ahead.