Queens Park v St. Mirren Betfred Cup 24/7/18

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Like last season? 

Nope.

Last pre-season, we knew we had the nucleus of a good, cohesive squad. A squad that the manager had somehow galvanised to lift us away from the abyss of the third tier.

Things feel very different right now.

By all means hunt down old posts in which I was being a knickerwetter this time last year, but I can tell you right now that this feels much, much more ominous.

2 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

There's lot's of new faces at the club and i'm almost certain JR would have done the same thing in terms of squad change.  We'll have to wait and see in terms of the success/or not of AS recruitment but i think it's a tad harsh to expect all the new guys to be on fire from day 1. We've lost our top goalscorer, best player and a cracking full back, not forgetting a great manager. I'd love to see any team bounce back from this quick style.... as i said early days and too early to judge IMO.

Don't forget Davies - cracking player

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Like last season? 

I'm far more worried now than I was last season.  I've been to the 4 games we've played and the only glimmer of hope is still the Killie game. We look totally toothless from back to the front players. If we don't bring in at least 4 new players that are better than what we have , then we really are going to struggle. The only player that gets pass marks tonight is Sammy,  the rest were pretty poor.

Well it was always going to be a challenge tonight compared to last week by playing a Second Division amateur Club away from home as opposed to playing a non-League club at home. However we fielded probably our strongest team so we were in with a chance. WRONG. QP were by far the better team and created the best chances. In fact I only remember one weak shot by Mullan after 40 mins that we made in the whole game. But I am not downhearted as lots of posters have said that we are to give the players a chance to prove themselves. So tonight doesn't really count for anything. I'll wait for the miracle.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Nope.

Last pre-season, we knew we had the nucleus of a good, cohesive squad. A squad that the manager had somehow galvanised to lift us away from the abyss of the third tier.

By all means hunt down old posts in which I was being a knickerwetter this time last year, but I can tell you right now that this feels much, much more ominous.

Subjective at best.

Didn't Ross dismantle the squad who had survived the season before?

1 minute ago, munoz said:

I'm far more worried now than I was last season.  I've been to the 4 games we've played and the only glimmer of hope is still the Killie game. We look totally toothless from back to the front players. If we don't bring in at least 4 new players that are better than what we have , then we really are going to struggle. The only player that gets pass marks tonight is Sammy,  the rest were pretty poor.

Yeah but let's face it, Killie have been pretty shite too. The only difference is they've stuck to their task and ground out a couple of wins. I wouldnae be holding out a 0-0 draw against them as any sort of barometer of success.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Nope.

You are right Drew but that squad was knocked out of the LC, pumped by Thistle, Dundee and Ross County (?).   Jack had assembled the nucleus over a longer period of time than Stubbs has had and didn't experience the loss of 4 key players.  Not excusing the team performance or what appears to be some strange player recruitment by AS but I think we need to give AS more time to sort out the problems etc.

There has to be some shoots of progress when the league stuff starts and the transfer window is about to close. The team has to start showing signs of gelling with hopefully a few new good signings in the squad by then.  Only then is it fair to judge, IMO. I don't think anyone is overjoyed with the start we've made this season, bar the Killie game, but as the team gets fitter and gels together a bit more you would hope the improvement would come.

Spoiler

We simply can't go into this season with a back-three comprising of the same players as tonight. Baird's a Championship player at best , the big tall guy meanders about without a purpose , and the black guy is just , well , hopeless ! We were discussing this as we were leaving before the penalties tonight,   Stubbs must see these guys won't do at our level !

25 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Is Stubbs getting  undeserved  criticism so early in the season? 

Or did JR leave us in a mess? Most of the players are his signings.

Last year's team certainly was not good enough to survive in the SPL - we were fortunate to win the Championship by such a large margin.

That team (in true St Mirren fashion) has now been dismantled instead of strengthened.

The feel good factor has evaporated before the league season has started - instead it's resembling the same feeling we had at the start of the 2016/17 season.

You were quite optimistic at the start of the Iain Murray / Alex Miller / Alex Rae season

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yeah but let's face it, Killie have been pretty shite too. The only difference is they've stuck to their task and ground out a couple of wins. I wouldnae be holding out a 0-0 draw against them as any sort of barometer of success.

Aye, only scored 7 goals in 2 games. :lol:

Just now, saintargyll said:

Here is a good idea....Get the new signings down to the bankhouse for a right good piss up and show them what it means to be a Saint

The team that parties together stays together. I think old Walter Smith was a great believer in that. 

3 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

You are right Drew but that squad was knocked out of the LC, pumped by Thistle, Dundee and Ross County (?).   Jack had assembled the nucleus over a longer period of time than Stubbs has had and didn't experience the loss of 4 key players.  Not excusing the team performance or what appears to be some strange player recruitment by AS but I think we need to give AS more time to sort out the problems etc.

We had a team that had just avoided what looked like almost certain relegation to the third tier, playing teams established in the top. Fast forward a year, and we - just promoted to the top tier - can't break down non-league and 3rd tier teams.

Whichever way you look at it, it ain't great. Not great at all.

Looks to me like Stubbs has sorted out the defence and the core of the midfield.

We will be hard to beat next season.

We just need width and a striker and we will be good to go.

6 pts from 9 is exactly where we would have expected to have been at this stage so we are very much in the Cup.

We could do with gaining some fans with a bit of resilience and the ability to look at the bigger picture.

12 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Bet you don't, just sayin like. I reckon you'll be at the front of the mob with burning torch and pitchfork before Guy Fawkes night:rolleyes:

Far too long in the tooth mate having been through the mill over 49 years of supporting.  I might have had my torch and pitchfork 30 years ago but now too old, crabbit and used to the ups and downs at STMFC.:thumbs2

Poor result, and by all accounts another poor, insipid display. As someone pointed out, all our midfield and attacking players were here last season, on our league winning season. Maybe we're still playing our way to fitness and sharpness, maybe the passing and moving will become more dynamic.

The longer it goes without us looking capable of putting a few passed together in dangerous areas, the more pressure the manager will come under.

Hopefully we can look a bit more lively on Saturday to allay our fears. One can live in hope...

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Subjective at best.

Didn't Ross dismantle the squad who had survived the season before?

Only if you feel that not renewing Craig Storrie and Pal Fjelde's contracts or Billy the Fish's constituted dismantling the squad - he kept on David Clarkson as he had a long term injury.