Golf and Golfing

St.Ricky

• 4 weeks later...

On 2/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, eastlandssaint said:

Certainly trying times for many clubs. I have been a member at 4. Ranfurly Castle and Leven Links, Gleneagles and now Stirling.  Now only a Clubhouse member.  I pick out interesting 9 hole courses to play in the summer.  More expensive than a season ticket for the Simple Digital Arena and I would use it much less often. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

When golfers are out on the course there's more than a good chance they can stay outwith the recommended 2m rule.

The problems could be people are needed to open the clubhouse, the changing rooms, especially initially when the clubhouses are liable to be busy.

Overall I don't see how they can say they could operate 100% safely, although this could be said for other business's that are currently operating. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

When golfers are out on the course there's more than a good chance they can stay outwith the recommended 2m rule.

The problems could be people are needed to open the clubhouse, the changing rooms, especially initially when the clubhouses are liable to be busy.

Overall I don't see how they can say they could operate 100% safely, although this could be said for other business's that are currently operating. 

I have been part of a working party to reintroduce safe golf as and when the time is right, there is absolutely no need to open the clubhouse or the changing rooms to members.

The easiest answer is to have one member of staff remove your clubs, shoes etc from the clubhouse and at a safe distance place them in front of you in the car park at an agreed time. Wipe down and clean all they have touched and your gear is now your responsibility and not to be returned to the clubhouse until all things are back to the new normal. Players will turn up ready for play and change footwear in the car park. Tee times will be by online booking, no booking no play and the same member of staff will be responsible for ensuring only booked players are playing at their allotted time. Committee members etc can be asked to marshall the course to ensure everyone is sticking to the rules.

It sounds a lot for the member of staff to do but it will likely be one or two players either every 10 or 15 minutes.

4 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I have been part of a working party to reintroduce safe golf as and when the time is right, there is absolutely no need to open the clubhouse or the changing rooms to members.

The easiest answer is to have one member of staff remove your clubs, shoes etc from the clubhouse and at a safe distance place them in front of you in the car park at an agreed time. Wipe down and clean all they have touched and your gear is now your responsibility and not to be returned to the clubhouse until all things are back to the new normal. Players will turn up ready for play and change footwear in the car park. Tee times will be by online booking, no booking no play and the same member of staff will be responsible for ensuring only booked players are playing at their allotted time. Committee members etc can be asked to marshall the course to ensure everyone is sticking to the rules.

It sounds a lot for the member of staff to do but it will likely be one or two players either every 10 or 15 minutes.

Overall sounds a reasonable proposition. 

On 5/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, WeeBud said:

I like this idea.................

Guest TPAFKATS

If golfers just say they are nannies or cleaners it should be fine.

Although to be honest, I'm fed up hearing grown men whine about not being able to play golf during this time.

Priorities, eh

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I like this idea.................

Yeah, I quite like that too, we had actually turned the hole liners upside down at our club prior to lockdown, it meant the ball only dropped about an inch into the cup allowing the ball to be removed very easily and without touching anything else. As a point of note and in reply to someone above I haven't heard anyone person I know whining about not being able to play golf...….one of the oddest things about the whole lockdown experience for me is the number of people whining about others whining and not noticing the irony, I've always been a kind of "live and let live" sort of guy but hey-ho!!

8 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Yeah, I quite like that too, we had actually turned the hole liners upside down at our club prior to lockdown, it meant the ball only dropped about an inch into the cup allowing the ball to be removed very easily and without touching anything else. As a point of note and in reply to someone above I haven't heard anyone person I know whining about not being able to play golf...….one of the oddest things about the whole lockdown experience for me is the number of people whining about others whining and not noticing the irony, I've always been a kind of "live and let live" sort of guy but hey-ho!!

It can be, along with fishing for example, if certain measures are in place, an ideal way to get people back out of their houses.

We keep hearing about the damage the lockdown can do to mental health, yet some, because they don't participate, don't see the benefits. :blink:

My uncle, only recovered from cancer treatment last year, now lives in a flat and not being able to get up to Paisley Golf Club, is feeling the lack of exercise in a negative way.

Going for a walk is one thing but not as much exercise as hacking, ooops, hitting, a ball out in the fresh air. :rolleyes:

PS Anyone with access to a small engineering firm could knock these out for a very small cost, just saying. 

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
At least 6 guys I know moaning about not golfing. It's been more vocal since the weekend due to rumours then confirmation that England would reopen golf courses.

Not sure about the live and let live comment.

32 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

At least 6 guys I know moaning about not golfing. It's been more vocal since the weekend due to rumours then confirmation that England would reopen golf courses.

Not sure about the live and let live comment.

Why whine about people whining, just let them whine without judging...….live and let live!!

Guest TPAFKATS
Why whine about people whining, just let them whine without judging...….live and let live!!
I wasn't whining. I was commenting on a thread about golfing and golfers.
That's like saying why are you whining about me whining about golfers whining. Live and let live!

The overall Scottish message is that golf can't be played as you would have to specifically drive to the course (well most would) and also leave your home for a non-essential reason. Fine if you could walk to the golf course, carry your clubs and waterproofs (however not required for the last 6 weeks) and then play, but that would become a beacon of sense and sensibility and you would then get the anglers, bowlers, tennis players etc all complaining that why is golf allowed, but not our sport?

I get the reasoning, but am frustrated as hell that I can walk over my golf course, or others locally and they are festooned with dog walkers (who let their mutts roam wherever they want), runners and families out for a walk. I even saw a funny but ridiculous situation last week where a family had gone to the golf club with buckets and spades and the parents allowed their two sub-5 year olds to run about in the bunkers making sandcastles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However having said all of the above, there are so many more people about now, than there were say three weeks ago, plus so many more cars, I think that now loads of people are moving about for non-essential reasons.  :death

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

I wasn't whining. I was commenting on a thread about golfing and golfers.
That's like saying why are you whining about me whining about golfers whining. Live and let live!

"Although to be honest, I'm fed up hearing grown men whine about not being able to play golf during this time."

I'd call that whining about whining but you're more than entitled to do it.....I haven't whined about it or judged you for it, I have said I find it odd, that's all.

• 6 months later...