8 - 0 Cathkin replay

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

Fun it, 36-0 against Bon Accord in the 19th century. That disnae count, hud jumpers down fur goalposts.

Funnily enough, although they didn't in fact have jumpers for goalposts, the goals didn't have any nets. It is widely reputed that scoreline would've been even higher if the hadn't had to spend so much time fetching the ball after each goal was scored.

6 hours ago, RickMcD said:

I was at this game too. Went on a special train from Gilmour Street to Queens Park (I think it was) and walked the rest of the way to Cathkin. What a night! Jocky Robertson was small for a keeper but he was good. Big Jolly scored four. He was a big lump of a guy and when he hit a ball hard by God it moved. We reckoned that with two of Rodger's goals Jocky was in a good position but the force of the shots carried him and the ball over the line. Not sure that was true but I like to think so. Tommy Bryceland was magnificent that night. He scored two and was involved in most of the other six.

Last time this match was discussed, there was mention of had it been fixed. I'm not a betting man and I don't know if there was much football betting back then. But as I posted on here before I got to know Tommy reasonably well in the early 80's and he told me when these stories first raised their ugly head he didn't believe a word. But he told me one night that he now knew it was true. He didn't tell me how he knew but he seemed to be certain it was. I didn't like hearing it but I don't see why Tommy would have made it up.

I went on that train too. I remember going down the incline at Shields Road onto the Cathcart Circle. I think it was Mount Florida station that was used.

46 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Big Rogers was considered by many to have the best cross from a winger  in Scotland.

He could be clumsy at times, but he was pretty accurate on his crosses. One move he used quite often was to break out of defence up the right wing and just before the halfway line, with the defence drifting to cover his run, he would switch it across the whole width of the park for Alastair Miller to run on to  inside the opposition half on the left wing. You see it all the time nowadays, but not at pace the way Jim did it .I thought he was a good player for Saints at that time.

1 hour ago, Old Weiserbud said:

He could be clumsy at times, but he was pretty accurate on his crosses. One move he used quite often was to break out of defence up the right wing and just before the halfway line, with the defence drifting to cover his run, he would switch it across the whole width of the park for Alastair Miller to run on to  inside the opposition half on the left wing. You see it all the time nowadays, but not at pace the way Jim did it .I thought he was a good player for Saints at that time.

I remember his running style with his head being 3ft ahead of his feet!