First Team Squad

29 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

How exciting, the 2 everyone’s been saying we’re signing for about a week.

We need some SPFL experience and quality or the same from England. 

Rogers is a good quality Goalkeeper. 

Kpekawa was also highly rated as a young player at QPR and is still only 22. 

I really don't see the point in folk saying that we need quality when none of us actually know what sort of quality we have signed until we actually have seen them. 

18 minutes ago, Ethan said:

According to McG on P and B there could be 3 more signed by Friday. I hope one is an experienced centre half. I assume Rogers and Kepkawa are 2 of them.

Kpekawa will play centre half, he went for 450k a few seasons back so was clearly highly rated.

35 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Kpekawa will play centre half, he went for 450k a few seasons back so was clearly highly rated.

Barnsley have a good record of signing young players and selling them on for good profit, John Stones an example. For whatever reason, it never worked out for him at Barnsley (same as Mallan), though from reports i have read, there is certainly a player in there. Quite happy with this one.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Rogers is a good quality Goalkeeper. 

Kpekawa was also highly rated as a young player at QPR and is still only 22. 

I really don't see the point in folk saying that we need quality when none of us actually know what sort of quality we have signed until we actually have seen them. 

The concern for us pessimists is that most of those we have signed are unproven at this level. It's a step up in quality for Heaton, Cooke and Kellerman. Jeff King has come from a higher level but didn't get the opportunity to play at that level. Coulson is also unknown as this is his first loan spell. These guys may turn out to be fantastic. They may not. We don't know yet. Concerns stem from knowing we needed to improve the squad coming into the SPL, and the only player we've signed who we know can definitely handle the SPL is Paul McGinn. Meanwhile we've lost Morgan, our top scorer has left and Harry Davis is gone. Guys like Eckersley and McKenzie who would have been useful to have this season are going to most likely be on their way.

I trust Stubbs knows what he's doing, two years in the Championship means he should have a rough idea of what quality he needs in the SPL. Until we see the new guys in action though, there's nothing wrong with having concerns - most of these guys are making a step up from what they are used to.

51 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Why an “experienced” centre half?

Why not a “good” centre half?

There are plenty of experienced centre halves about who are shit.

I’d rather have someone who is good, regardless of their experience!

Stephen McGinn was a good player at 18. He is still a good player at 29. The big difference is he is now experienced. Experience teaches you things that coaching cannot. It gives you insight and confidence that you do not have first time round. It brings a calmness and strategy to your actions. So experience is a valuable commodity. Give me an experienced good player any day over an inexperienced good player.

The list of players in and out to date shows 6 in and 14 out.  My best guess is that most of us would agree with at least 7 of these and realise that we had no choice other than to allow the 3 loanees to return to their parent club and both Sutton and Donati to retire.  Given also that Davis rejected our offer that seems to leave only perhaps Reilly and Stellios to debate.  Leaves money in the budget for more players to come in who will be,  I hope,  better than those we let go. 

IMG_20180711_101434.jpg

Stephen McGinn was a good player at 18. He is still a good player at 29. The big difference is he is now experienced. Experience teaches you things that coaching cannot. It gives you insight and confidence that you do not have first time round. It brings a calmness and strategy to your actions. So experience is a valuable commodity. Give me an experienced good player any day over an inexperienced good player.

The key word you have used in your final sentence is “good”.

Give me an good player, regardless of experience, any day over an experienced shite player.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

The key word you have used in your final sentence is “good”.

Give me an good player, regardless of experience, any day over an experienced shite player.

A shite player is a shite player whether experienced or not. However experience improves any player regardless of ability - it might not make them good but a wee bit better than they were. I am assuming that those advocating bringing in experienced players are not suggesting shite experienced players over good experienced players.

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Indeed, highly experienced Ian Ure came to us in the 1970's. 

What a donkey. 

31 minutes ago, Sonny said:

A shite player is a shite player whether experienced or not. However experience improves any player regardless of ability - it might not make them good but a wee bit better than they were. I am assuming that those advocating bringing in experienced players are not suggesting shite experienced players over good experienced players.

We can only sign players with the experience they currently have! You seem to be suggesting that we use some sort of time machine to bring those same players back from the future! :P

Given a choice between 2 DIFFERENT players, I would rather we signed the best one!

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

On the basis that nobody is hoping we sign poor players, your comments are just michievous.

In this league, most players don't become "good" until they have some experience.  We need experience amongst the players of presumed good quality that we already have.

26 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Imo Friday's game against Killie is too soon for our team as it's not the finished article. I want us to win but I'm not going to lose sleep if we don't. It's about getting a step nearer the opening league game for me. 

This LC is IMHO a total joke. This national trophy , which isn't even recognized by UEFA, prevents the smaller clubs from real progress. Also one defeat basically means your out. AS our first game, of this new era is against arguably the form team in Scotland in 2018, I also don't read anything into it. A 5-0 defeat to Thistle didn't show much apart from the fact that we are leagues apart . AS in we are one league higher now.....

Another failed SFA venture, making it up as they go along, favouring the chosen few......

No wonder we are the worst team in the UK, and so lowly ranked

None of our  players released so far have bern taken on by a premiership club, or one with a real shout at promotion to the prem. the four told to find a new club wont get a gig in the prem, or at a promotion contender. McKenzie cant join a club with astroturf, his body just cant take it, not heard but that might be an issue fir Eckersley too?

we so need this overhaul of young, fit, tall strong lads to have a chance in the prem.  look at Ross at Sunderland... only one game, yes.. but he has signed a few of the 'usual suspects' who have played up here and its not been a great start. Look at the players retained so far. Among them you've got two with genuine 'good' prem experience, and one of them is Sammy!

if Stubbs hadnt decided to rip it up then we would have been cannon fodder for everyone. At least now we stand a chance to make our mark.

1 hour ago, shull said:

Indeed, highly experienced Ian Ure came to us in the 1970's. 

What a donkey. 

Saw him on TV the other night reminiscing about ex-team mate Alan Gilzean.

A bit unfair to calling him a donkey, he was decent with the ball it was defending  high balls where he struggled (due to knee injuries) as he passed into the veteran stage of his career - a weakness that was known when he joined us. :(

Basically we signed a CH that could no longer jump - experienced maybe, crocked no! 

ETA - That is mainly my dad/uncle's opinion of him.

Edited by Bud the Baker

25 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

On the basis that nobody is hoping we sign poor players, your comments are just michievous.

In this league, most players don't become "good" until they have some experience.  We need experience amongst the players of presumed good quality that we already have.

I would disagree entirely.

I remember all the way to 1979 when we signed an experienced winger called Johnny Dempster. We also had an experienced centre half at the time, Andy Dunlop. We had a very poor start to that season which culminated in us getting knocked out of the League Cup at home to lower Division Hamilton after winning the away leg 2-0 at Douglas Park.

The response was to promote a young winger, signed from the juniors, by the name of Peter Weir. We also promoted a young centre half called Mark Fulton. Neither had any experience to note. Dempster & Dunlop never featured again. We went on to finish 3rd, our highest ever league placing. So dramatic was the turnaround that the poor start actually cost us the title itself.

All I can reading is that folk want us to sign "experience". I don't care about experience. All I want is for us to sign good players. And players do not need any experience to be good!