First Team Squad

40 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

This LC is IMHO a total joke. This national trophy , which isn't even recognized by UEFA, prevents the smaller clubs from real progress. Also one defeat basically means your out. AS our first game, of this new era is against arguably the form team in Scotland in 2018, I also don't read anything into it. A 5-0 defeat to Thistle didn't show much apart from the fact that we are leagues apart . AS in we are one league higher now.....

Another failed SFA venture, making it up as they go along, favouring the chosen few......

No wonder we are the worst team in the UK, and so lowly ranked

Going out of a cup competition after one defeat is a fairly standard outcome.  At least the groups guarantee 4 games.

Higher ranked teams entering a competition later is nothing new either. Standard procedure for the Scottish Cup.

I really doubt the League Cup format affects any rankings.

9 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Fulton and Weir were good players,  Dempster was not and Andy Dunlop was still a young player at that time.  Dunlop had been reasonable but not outstanding up to that point.

Yes, Fulton & Weir were good players - but they had no experience. Didn't you say that most players don't become good until they get experience?

Johnny Dempster was a player who the manager obviously thought was good. He was signed because he had a lot of experience and that was preferable to going with the inexperienced Peter Weir.

Back in 2013, we went into the second half of the season with 2 very young central midfielders with virtually no experience, Connor Newton and John McGinn. We won the League Cup!

9 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yes, Fulton & Weir were good players - but they had no experience. Didn't you say that most players don't become good until they get experience?

Johnny Dempster was a player who the manager obviously thought was good. He was signed because he had a lot of experience and that was preferable to going with the inexperienced Peter Weir.

Back in 2013, we went into the second half of the season with 2 very young central midfielders with virtually no experience, Connor Newton and John McGinn. We won the League Cup!

Getting weary now

Fulton came from the juniors and played in our reserve team with and against a mix of young and experienced players-he had some experience

Peter weir was literally a one-ff having spent time out of football as a young man before catching light at the buddies.

both got better as they became more experienced.  experience is a desireable qulaity in just about any footballer.

1 hour ago, shull said:

Indeed, highly experienced Ian Ure came to us in the 1970's. 

What a donkey. 

We've had our fair share of experienced diddies.   With the players coming, we might get lucky , unearth a jem of a player or two and capitalise on it.   

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

Imo Friday's game against Killie is too soon for our team as it's not the finished article. I want us to win but I'm not going to lose sleep if we don't. It's about getting a step nearer the opening league game for me. 

Friday night,  a couple of pints :guinness.  I'll sleep alright.    

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

None of our  players released so far have bern taken on by a premiership club, or one with a real shout at promotion to the prem. the four told to find a new club wont get a gig

Transfer news LIVE: St Mirren keeper Ross Stewart set to join Premership rivals Livingston :unsure:

25 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Getting weary now

Fulton came from the juniors and played in our reserve team with and against a mix of young and experienced players-he had some experience

Peter weir was literally a one-ff having spent time out of football as a young man before catching light at the buddies.

both got better as they became more experienced.  experience is a desireable qulaity in just about any footballer.

If its getting weary for you then just don't reply!

All players have some experience before they play for St. Mirren based on your Mark Fulton example!

Yeh, Peter Weir was literally a one-off. Apart from Frank McAvennie.

Your last sentence is both obvious and irrelevant! They were both instantly better than the more experienced players that they replaced!  

Edited by Wendy Saintss

7 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

That wasn't a UEFA decision

Until 1995, the winners of the Scottish League Cup were granted a place in the UEFA Cup, although this privilege was rarely invoked as the winning teams usually qualified for Europe by some other means such as winning the League Championship or Scottish Cup. The most recent example was Raith Rovers who represented Scotland in the 1995–96 UEFA Cup after winning the League Cup the previous season as a First Division club. This privilege has since been discontinued due to the reduction in the number of European places granted to Scottish clubs.

So that will be a UEFA decision then !

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Until 1995, the winners of the Scottish League Cup were granted a place in the UEFA Cup, although this privilege was rarely invoked as the winning teams usually qualified for Europe by some other means such as winning the League Championship or Scottish Cup. The most recent example was Raith Rovers who represented Scotland in the 1995–96 UEFA Cup after winning the League Cup the previous season as a First Division club. This privilege has since been discontinued due to the reduction in the number of European places granted to Scottish clubs.

So that will be a UEFA decision then !

er, no it won't! :wacko:

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

FFS- UEFA reduced  the places and made the League Cup a non qualifier...... difficult to understand I know- but do try

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

FFS - UEFA did not make the League Cup a non qualifier......  difficult to understand I know - but do try

Who did then.  The excitement is getting to me.

39 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

You don't get a European place if you win the stupid thing

UEFA tell the SFA how many Euro places they are getting.It is then up to the SFA on how they fill those places.

13 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

FFS- UEFA reduced  the places and made the League Cup a non qualifier...... difficult to understand I know- but do try

11 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

FFS - UEFA did not make the League Cup a non qualifier......  difficult to understand I know - but do try

Seeing as Wendy is being deliberately obtuse, I will clarify.

It was the decision of the Scottish football authorities to swap the European place granted for being League Cup winner to an extra league place. I'm pretty sure the removal of one of our slots happened subsequent to this decision due to co-efficient reasons, but even if that was not the case, the decision not to give a place for the cup winners was that of the SFA (or SFL), not UEFA.

ETA - Damnit!! HSS said it far more simply than me.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It was the decision of the Scottish football authorities to swap the European place granted for being League Cup winner to an extra league place. I'm pretty sure the removal of one of our slots happened subsequent to this decision due to co-efficient reasons, but even if that was not the case, the decision not to give a place for the cup winners was that of the SFA (or SFL), not UEFA.

Wit! :blink:

I'm being deliberately obtuse my correctly posting the truth? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

ETA - Damnit!! HSS said it far more simply than me.

Thanks M

I get all that, but UEFA stopped one place due to the fact that we are so crap at winning Euro ties, so it was actually originally an UEFA directive which is then passed on to our stupid SFA who then made the cup into a Diddy one.......................