Saints In La Manga

3 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Ffs. Sportagama, that's a blast from the past.

I hornpiped at the west for one of them emoji85.png

Best one was the big show in the town hall 1985 I believe, I was in a full gorilla costume stilt walking on the sloping stage. emoji23.png

Memories indeed...

I remember being a Cancan dancer one year, and my brother singing' My boy lollipop'. I remember at rehearsals our captain telling him that if he kept singing like that he would get loads of boos. My brother thought he meant booze and told my dad he would get a surprise after he sang!     TIT.     :lol:

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

8 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Ha, good one. The furthest we (The 30thBB) ,got to travel was to the West school for the ‘sportigama’ (I think it was called). Can’t believe it’s been 45 years though. Time eh? Have you ever tried eating a clock? Don’t as it so time consuming!!! emoji12.png

Was in the 10th in Lady Lane. Chucked it after a number of years and joined the army cadets in the drill hall.  Shame to see it the way it is. :(

54 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Must admit I’m starting to get a bit nervous with the lack of transfer activity. As it stands the squad appears to be nowhere near strong enough to survive in the top league. Obviously hope I’m wrong but time is marching on. Come on Stubbsy get cracking!

Did you not read/hear Stubbs regarding Everton players ? 

1 hour ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Must admit I’m starting to get a bit nervous with the lack of transfer activity. As it stands the squad appears to be nowhere near strong enough to survive in the top league. Obviously hope I’m wrong but time is marching on. Come on Stubbsy get cracking!

Eh? We've signed 5 players!

11 minutes ago, zico said:

He said the same thing when he went to Hibs and never signed any Everton youngsters. :rolleyes:

http://bluekipper.com/news/club_news/7554-stubbs_wants_everton_youngsters_for_hibs.html

I never realised Martinez had played for Motherwell :lol:

On transfers, I suspect he's having a proper look at what we've got this week and will take stock from there. I think there'll be a couple of players who might still be encouraged out the door, on loans at the very least, and that we could still be looking at about four more players. 

Might also depend on what formation he's aiming to play re which other areas need strengthening. I'm assuming 4-2-3-1  will still be largely in favour.

36 minutes ago, zico said:

Eh? We've signed 5 players!

After a ruthless clearout by JR at the end of last season and losing two more on top of that we've signed a guy who was not an automatic first pick from a club that got relegated last season, 3 non-league players and one fringe player with Bolton who made 1 league and 2 cup appearances for them - all possibles but we've yet to sign one player that I'd regard as a probable at our new level.

Not all Stubbsy's fault but I'm waiting for the first serious "must go" thread...…………..

Edited by Bud the Baker

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

After a ruthless clearout by JR at the end of last season and losing two more on top of that we've signed a guy who was not an automatic first pick from a club that got relegated last season, 3 non-league players and one fringe player with Bolton who made 1 league and 2 cup appearances for them - all possibles but we've yet to sign one player that I'd regard as a probable at our new level.

Not all Stubbsy's fault but I'm waiting for the first serious "must go" thread...…………..

The players we’ve signed may well have come from ‘lesser’ leagues, but until we see them, not a scooby if they should be regarded as back-ups, first teamers, ones for the future, stars, duds, or simply ‘meh’.

I’m relaxed about it all, working on the theory that I barely raised an eyebrow at the arrival of Andy Dorman, Paul Dummett, Isma Goncalves or Connor Newton, amongst others. My reaction was pretty much ‘Who?’...

I could sit here and say we should be signing folk we’ve heard of, have seen, or whatever... but they could turn out to be less Stevie Thompson, and more Stephane Bahoken, less Gary Teale and more Mo Camara.

I trust Paisley’s new top firm of solicitors know what they’re dong... Stubbs, Jackson & Rice.... until the January window that is, and if we’re shite with Livvy and Accies pissing on our chips, then we might see the thread you refer to.

27 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Your assessment of the standard of the 5 players we have signed is irrelevant!

As for the 'ruthless clearout' who exactly are you taking about?

One or two players who made the odd appearance, some of whom were out on loan anyway?

We're hardly going to miss Gary Irvine and Darryl Duffy!

The reality is that we've lost 2 first team players who we wanted to keep, Morgan & Davis. And Davis only started 20 league games! And he's been replaced by Heaton already!

Plus we brought in 3 in the Jan transfer window, Flynn, Mullen & Hippolyte. Add Erhahon to that and its effectively 9 new players!

Edited by zico

6 minutes ago, zico said:

Your assessment of the standard of the 5 players we have signed is irrelevant!

As for the 'ruthless clearout' who exactly are you taking about?

One or two players who made the odd appearance, some of whom were out on loan anyway?

We're hardly going to miss Gary Irvine and Darryl Duffy!

The reality is that we've lost 2 first team players who we wanted to keep, Morgan & Davis. And Davis only started 20 league games!

And we brought in 3 in the Jan transfer window, Flynn, Mullen & Hippolyte. Add Erhahon to that and its effectively 9 new players!

You could argue the club sort-of wanted to keep Reilly, insofar as he had a contract he could have signed. But yeah, Stubbs clearly wasn't that fussed on him.

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The players we’ve signed may well have come from ‘lesser’ leagues, but until we see them, not a scooby if they should be regarded as back-ups, first teamers, ones for the future, stars, duds, or simply ‘meh’.

I’m relaxed about it all, working on the theory that I barely raised an eyebrow at the arrival of Andy Dorman, Paul Dummett, Isma Goncalves or Connor Newton, amongst others. My reaction was pretty much ‘Who?’...

I could sit here and say we should be signing folk we’ve heard of, have seen, or whatever... but they could turn out to be less Stevie Thompson, and more Stephane Bahoken, less Gary Teale and more Mo Camara.

I trust Paisley’s new top firm of solicitors know what they’re dong... Stubbs, Jackson & Rice.... until the January window that is, and if we’re shite with Livvy and Accies pissing on our chips, then we might see the thread you refer to.

Some possibles work out, most don't - obvious really.

The only signing so far with any pedigree at our level is McGinn.

9 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

The supporters have nae idea. Leave it tae the manager and coaching staff. Good as gold.

Whit is there are worry aboot. It'll be a dawdle.

As long as it's not a Twaddle. 

30 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Frank McAvennie, Ian Ferguson, Paul Lambert, Peter Weir, Frank McDougall, Billy Stark, Frank McGarvey, Lex Richardson, Billy Thomson, Steve Clarke, Tommy Wilson, etc.

They didn't have any pedigree at our level either before they played in our first team!

I'd take them any day over the Lex Baillie, Mark Reid, Jim Gardner, Alan Irvine, Andy Dow type of player that you clearly favour! :lol::P

Edited by zico

29 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Some possibles work out, most don't - obvious really.

Indeed, and we surely cannot be thinking about going toe to toe with the outfits in the top flight, with a host of new players who are non-league, unknown, untested and/or loanee kids from wherever Stubbs has contacts.

All I’m saying is that these new signings deserve a chance to show us what they’ve got. We need a lot more than what we’ve currently got though, or it is going to be watching games away to Celtic and Co from behind the sofa.

41 minutes ago, zico said:

John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Frank McAvennie, Ian Ferguson, Paul Lambert, Peter Weir, Frank McDougall, Billy Stark, Frank McGarvey, Lex Richardson, Billy Thomson, Steve Clarke, Tommy Wilson, etc.

They didn't have any pedigree at our level either before they played in our first team!

The list of those who didn't go on to make it is a lot longer, that's why I've highlighted so far we've only signed possibles. It's difficult for a club in our position to sign probables but I'd have much preferred us signing Halkett to Heaton. 

I understand we've bought Heaton in the hope/expectation that he'll impress and we can move him on for a profit (like Celtic & Edouard) - I just see it as too big risk for a club of our size. In fact it's more of a risk for us as Celtic already know Edouard can score at Scottish League level.

After clinching the title in April JR said work for next season had begun "last month" - unfortunately circumstances have worked against us and we'll be going into next season with a hybrid team - I'd settle for 10th place right here, right now. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

45 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

All I’m saying is that these new signings deserve a chance to show us what they’ve got. We need a lot more than what we’ve currently got though, or it is going to be watching games away to Celtic and Co from behind the sofa.

Calling a new player a possible is not prejudging him as a player.