Saints In La Manga

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Calling a new player a possible is not prejudging him as a player.

No, I agree. I wasn’t having a go. Any or all of them could be Ismas, or Sanoupes.

To assist these kids and lower leaguers... we need more proven players of some quality in our starting eleven.

35 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'd have much preferred us signing Halkett to Heaton. 

23 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Calling a new player a possible is not prejudging him as a player.

Halkett has no pedigree at our level either!

What you really mean is that you'd rather we signed players that you've personally heard of or seen in action as opposed to who the manager thinks is the better player!

Heaton has come from a club that had a higher average gate than Livingston last season.

3 hours ago, Ethan said:

We are still light in a few areas. Would like to see at least 4 or 5 more players come in. 

The chairman said 6 to 7 players in Stubbs said something along the same lines. Jack Ross before he left 8 to 9. We have 5 so far so who knows. Looking like McGinn will be sold so there might be a wind fall. 

3 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I never realised Martinez had played for Motherwell :lol:

On transfers, I suspect he's having a proper look at what we've got this week and will take stock from there. I think there'll be a couple of players who might still be encouraged out the door, on loans at the very least, and that we could still be looking at about four more players. 

Might also depend on what formation he's aiming to play re which other areas need strengthening. I'm assuming 4-2-3-1  will still be largely in favour.

Think Alloa could benefit from us again.

1 minute ago, zico said:

Halkett has no pedigree at our level either!

What you really mean is that you'd rather we signed players that you've personally heard of or seen in action as opposed to who the manager thinks is the better player!

Heaton has come from a club that had a higher average gate than Livingston last season.

Halkett was a standout at Championship level last season, made team of the year plus he wouldn't have cost £75k or received a 3 year deal.

Heaton comes from two levels below where Davis came from and returned to (no fees involved) and one below Kellerman (no fee involved), Heaton is like the US Air Force - oversexed, overpaid and over here! 

catch-22b.jpg?w=700

26 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Halkett was a standout at Championship level last season, made team of the year plus he wouldn't have cost £75k or received a 3 year deal.

Heaton comes from two levels below where Davis came from and returned to (no fees involved) and one below Kellerman (no fee involved), Heaton is like the US Air Force - oversexed, overpaid and over here! 

catch-22b.jpg?w=700

Halkett was such a standout that nobody wanted him.... and he was free!

Not sure what the level that Davis came from has to do with comparing Halkett with Heaton! :wacko:

Degenerating into posting a pointless photo highlights how bad your point is! :P

16 hours ago, zico said:

Halkett was such a standout that nobody wanted him.... and he was free!

Not sure what the level that Davis came from has to do with comparing Halkett with Heaton! :wacko:

Last week you agreed we probably wanted Halkett:P

Next you forgot (!) to mention the transfer fee for Heaton. :rolleyes: It demonstrates how much of gamble singing Heaton is - you wouldn't normally pay a transfer fee for someone with his pedigree, nevermind a club record for the post-Bosman era. Throw in the three year deal (when was the last time we gave one to a player who will be a free agent by the time it expires?) and he'll likely be one of the top earners at the club.

catch-22b.jpg?w=700Some things you do just for the fun!

Edited by Bud the Baker

The Heaton deal suggests we will be hoping he impresses with a view to selling him on for a profit after 18 months or so. Nothing wrong with that strategy but it's risky on two fronts. He may prove to be not up to it and we are stuck with a player on a 3 year contract or we may get relegated thus I doubt anyone will be paying more than we paid for him given the position we would then be in. I would have preferred to sign players out of contract which can just as easily be sold if showing up impressively but with way less risk.

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The Heaton deal suggests we will be hoping he impresses with a view to selling him on for a profit after 18 months or so. Nothing wrong with that strategy but it's risky on two fronts. He may prove to be not up to it and we are stuck with a player on a 3 year contract or we may get relegated thus I doubt anyone will be paying more than we paid for him given the position we would then be in. I would have preferred to sign players out of contract which can just as easily be sold if showing up impressively but with way less risk.

@zico  :P

Unbelievable.
"Why do we sign so many over the hill duds who are all too familiar up here. We should be modelling ourselves on Motherwell and ICT's respective recruitment policies. Get it sorted."

*Club finally think outside the box and sign a handful of young unknown players to provide competition to an already fairly settled squad. Most of said signings are very highly thought of down south*

"Oh actually, why don't we sign the Livingston captain and Nicky Clark? All these signings are unproven at this level"

Every signing at our level is a risk; Steven Thompson was a high profile signing carrying an element of risk - it paid off. Eric Djemba-Djemba was a high profile signing carrying an element of risk - it didn't pay off.

16 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Unbelievable.
"Why do we sign so many over the hill duds who are all too familiar up here. We should be modelling ourselves on Motherwell and ICT's respective recruitment policies. Get it sorted."

*Club finally think outside the box and sign a handful of young unknown players to provide competition to an already fairly settled squad. Most of said signings are very highly thought of down south*

"Oh actually, why don't we sign the Livingston captain and Nicky Clark? All these signings are unproven at this level"

Every signing at our level is a risk; Steven Thompson was a high profile signing carrying an element of risk - it paid off. Eric Djemba-Djemba was a high profile signing carrying an element of risk - it didn't pay off.

Discussing St. Mirren signings on a Saints website - unbelievable.

Steven Thompson came to us directly from Championship club Burnley, Eric Djemba-Djemba had his contract terminated by his previous club and was a free agent - one of the transfers was clearly  more likely to succeed. :specs

Edited by Bud the Baker

Discussing St. Mirren signings on a Saints website - unbelievable.
Steven Thompson came to us directly from Championship club Burnley, Eric Djemba-Djemba had his contract terminated by his previous club and was a free agent - one of the transfers was clearly  more likely to succeed. :specs

Being overly negative about everything Saints related at every opportunity necessary when we as fans have no control over the matter and should simply be supporting the new management team and relishing how good the last 18 months have been... unbelievable.

Of our latest batch of signings it would appear some are more likely to succeed than others, by your reckoning King should automatically be the best because he's came from a club 4/5 levels above say Heaton?
My point is no signing is a certainty to work out. If we want to be pedantic I could sit and name numerous different scenarios over the years.

Just now, W6Saint said:

Being overly negative about everything Saints related at every opportunity necessary when we as fans have no control over the matter and should simply be supporting the new management team and relishing how good the last 18 months have been... unbelievable.

Of our latest batch of signings it would appear some are more likely to succeed than others, by your reckoning King should automatically be the best because he's came from a club 4/5 levels above say Heaton?
My point is no signing is a certainty to work out. If we want to be pedantic I could sit and name numerous different scenarios over the years.

"Overly negative" is your opinion, I disagree - I'm just the correct level of negative.

Of the 5 signings we've made so far the one I reckon is most likely to work out is Paul McGinn as I've already mentioned..

While I accept "no signing is a certainty to work out" some are clearly more likely to than others.

"Overly negative" is your opinion, I disagree - I'm just the correct level of negative.
Of the 5 signings we've made so far the one I reckon is most likely to work out is Paul McGinn as I've already mentioned..
While I accept "no signing is a certainty to work out" some are clearly more likely to than others.

Wasn't necessarily referring to you being overly negative in the original post or indeed the last one. Opinions are subjective and I respect that.

Could also be argued Paul McGinn never really set the heather alight last season (i'm a fan of his, just making a point). Let's just hope McGinn, the other signings and any others yet to be made work out. COYS

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

We will all need to wait and see for our own eyes. The guy from Darlington looks a diamond if you YouTube him. As for the rest well in the manager I trust who has seen and trained them at the academy rather than impatient Saints fans bored stiff on their keyboards writting about players who they have just seen in a photograph making judgment :P

15 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We will all need to wait and see for our own eyes. The guy from Darlington looks a diamond if you YouTube him. As for the rest well in the manager I trust who has seen and trained them at the academy rather than impatient Saints fans bored stiff on their keyboards writting about players who they have just seen in a photograph making judgment :P

Fair enough, we will have to trust Stubbsy's judgement and wait for the season to begin but as for YouTube I wouldn't waste my time on cherry picked clips.

All I will say is if a bird comes from a duckpond it should be no surprise if it turns out to be a duck!

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Fair enough, we will have to trust Stubbsy's judgement and wait for the season to begin but as for YouTube I wouldn't waste my time on cherry picked clips.

All I will say is if a bird comes from a duckpond it should be no surprise if it turns out to be a duck!

With plumb sauce it can knock most more expensive dishes off the menu a bit like football players :D