Saints In La Manga

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

As many as The Happy Clappers! 

Can you get more glib than "no signing is a certainty to work out"?

I’d like to think the support in general , knickerwetters and happy clappers alike would at least wait until a ball is kicked in anger before judging our signings ? 

I think that people are quite entitled to express their concern regarding our signings.

What is wrong is the assertion that they will be shite , before a ball is kicked. As is any claim that they will be a success.

I'm intrigued by our signings, and I'm trusting that our manager can spot a player that can contribute at this level.

I'm certainly not without doubts , but they're tempered with a sense of optimism.

We still need several more players, not least up front. It would be great if a couple of these could be marquee signings that add a touch of class and quality to our current squad, and make it the finished article.

Writing players off after less than a week training isn't going to help these guyts be a success. I'd rather sign young hungry guys like this than the same old has beens looking for another meal ticket. Stubbs also said he hoped to get some in before we went to Spain but would have to be patient on the more important higher profile signings!!!

8 hours ago, cardeebuds said:

Writing players off after less than a week training isn't going to help these guyts be a success. I'd rather sign young hungry guys like this than the same old has beens looking for another meal ticket. Stubbs also said he hoped to get some in before we went to Spain but would have to be patient on the more important higher profile signings!!!

Wayne Rooney could you imagine the melt down because we did not bring in the Patrick Thistle centre forward from last season :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

What on earth is Ross Stewart (GK) doing at 1:25? :lol: 

I think he was shaping for the effort from the near post and was then in no man's land when the forward didn't shoot. But yeah, wasn't great!

I've got a very good feeling about Cammy Smith this season, btw. I think he's going to be our PotS.

4 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think he was shaping for the effort from the near post and was then in no man's land when the forward didn't shoot. But yeah, wasn't great!

I've got a very good feeling about Cammy Smith this season, btw. I think he's going to be our PotS.

Was our player of the season last season as well in my opinion, fantastic player.

Hope the club are working hard on tying him down on a new improved deal as well, our most important player if you ask me.

12 hours ago, FTOF said:

What is wrong is the assertion that they will be shite , before a ball is kicked. As is any claim that they will be a success.

Indeed, any signing can go any way.

What IS wrong though, is stating that the probability of Heaton being a success is in any way linked to the level of English football that Harry Davis was playing in at one time! :wacko::lol:

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

If he is, he won't actually win PotS though. Fans will vote for someone else just to be alternative!

14 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Steven Thompson came to us directly from Championship club Burnley, Eric Djemba-Djemba had his contract terminated by his previous club and was a free agent - one of the transfers was clearly  more likely to succeed. :specs

Callum Ball came directly to us from Championship side Derby County!

Lex Baillie & Mark Reid came directly to us from Celtic!

31 minutes ago, zico said:

Callum Ball came directly to us from Championship side Derby County!

Lex Baillie & Mark Reid came directly to us from Celtic!

Mark Reid came to us from Charlton :P - he failed cos he was crocked.

Baillie wasn't a regular for for a not particularly strong Celtic side I'd have had him down closer to the middle/possible of the spectrum.

They both came into a club on the slide. 

My opinion is so far this window we've signed 4 possibles and one middle/possible (McGinn).

Every transfer is different - I'm happy to wait and see my how my judgement on this seasons batch turn out.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Heaton could very well be a better player than Halkett. The fact that we've signed Heaton for a fee suggests Stubbs rates him highly. The fact that we didn't sign Halkett suggests that either our manager rated Heaton more highly, or Halkett preferred to stay with Livingston. Him staying with Livingston might also lead some to suggest there were no more attractive offers than the one to stay put, meaning none of our Premiership rivals rated him highly enough to make him a better offer.

We've signed Heaton, who looks a beast of a boy, and I am looking forward to seeing him play a week on Saturday, along with the other guys I've never heard of. I hope they make a good early impression to calm the nerves of many of us about their quality and ability to play at the level we are at.

I think our PoTS will be captain fantastic. We’re going to need him to glue a new-look side under new-look management together, and I think he’s just the very fellow for the job.

I think our top scorer will be someone we haven’t signed yet. :D

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

Was our player of the season last season as well in my opinion, fantastic player.

Hope the club are working hard on tying him down on a new improved deal as well, our most important player if you ask me.

Cammy was the official club player of the year last season as well. New deal surely in the offing, given he's only got a year to go. Hopefully Stubbs sees his value over the course of the week at La Manga and gets a new deal on the table for him...

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

57 minutes ago, zico said:

If he is, he won't actually win PotS though. Fans will vote for someone else just to be alternative!

With hindsight, it's absolutely crazy that we managed to sign him last summer. 

35 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Mark Reid came to us from Charlton :P - he failed cos he was crocked.

Baillie wasn't a regular for for a not particularly strong Celtic side I'd have had him down closer to the middle/possible of the spectrum.

They both came into a club on the slide. 

My opinion is so far this window we've signed 4 possibles and one middle/possible (McGinn).

Every transfer is different - I'm happy to wait and see my how my judgement on this seasons batch turn out.

Steven Thompson wasn't a regular with Burnley!

They are only "possibles" because you personally haven't heard of them or seen them in action! :lol:

Personally, I'm glad that Stubbs isn't limiting himself to signing players that you've personally heard of or seen in action!

All this talk of signing experienced players, players who have played at this level is nonsense.

The only criteria should be whether they are good enough!

I have no idea whatsoever whether these new players will be good enough. But whether I've heard of them or not has no bearing whatsoever on how successful they will be!

1 hour ago, zico said:

Steven Thompson wasn't a regular with Burnley!

You're losing your touch Cap'n! :1eye

I was comparing Thompson with Djemba-Djemba not Baillie but even that comparison supports my argument!

Thompson - 83 League games in 3 seasons (Av= 28)

Baillie - 31 in 4 (Av = 8) after he broke into the Celtic first team.

Thompson was an internationalist and the Burnley team of  2008-2011 was IMO stronger than the Celtic team of 87-91 - Thompson was much more likely to be a success than Baillie.

We could debate every Saints transfer since the dawn of time but my point remains that not all transfers stand an equal chance of success and that it's possible to make some assumptions beforehand. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

We could debate every Saints transfer since the dawn of time but my point remains that not all transfers stand an equal chance of success and that it's possible to make some assumptions beforehand. 

Indeed.

And Heaton may or may not turn out to be a raging success who we sell on for £1 million.

But we know for sure that Halkett will always be worth nothing!

8 minutes ago, zico said:

Indeed.

And Heaton may or may not turn out to be a raging success who we sell on for £1 million.

But we know for sure that Halkett will always be worth nothing!

Indeed.

But we were never going to pay a transfer fee for an out of contract Halkett. 

And we don't know what release fee has been agreed with Heaton!

Edited by Bud the Baker