Saints In La Manga

my feeling regards all of the signings we have made so far , is that they all have the potential to improve with right coaching and the right attitude , I,m quite happy with how things are progressing , the proof of the pudding though is when the season starts , I think Heaton will be the outstanding signing , based on youtube clips I have seen of him , and the managers assessment of him over a five day trial . Really looking forward to watching the big fella stuck in , he plays like he fears nobody.

31 minutes ago, zico said:

Like Dennis Wyness? :lol:

Never prolific in the top flight. Scored 6 league goals for ICT in the 2 seasons before he signed for us as a 31-y-o in an attempt to rekindle semi-crock Dargo's (30-y-o) form.

Absolutely horrendous signing as I said on here at the time,

Keep 'em coming! :lol:

PS - What's Tonet doing these days? That was another "trust the boss" signing from 2008/09!

PPS - I was absolutely waiting for you to bring up Wyness! :lol

Edited by Bud the Baker

By proven top flight player I should have stated that I meant current - ie a decent last season as opposed to players clearly on the way down.

I believe we could easily have got 2 proven current Bottom 6 players on 2 year contracts for the money we're gambling on Heaton.

Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

PS - What's Tonet doing these days? That was another "trust the boss" signing from 2008/09!

Tonet was a trialist. We haven't signed any trialists!

I trusted the boss with Andy Dorman mind you....  :P

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

By proven top flight player I should have stated that I meant current - ie a decent last season as opposed to players clearly on the way down.

I believe we could easily have got 2 proven current Bottom 6 players on 2 year contracts for the money we're gambling on Heaton.

Go on, name them.....

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Who knows what players are still available now Stubbsy's spent three weeks chasing Showbiz stars? 

The time to get the finger out was three weeks ago, four if you include the one spent dithering after JR left.

In other words, no-one!

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

my feeling regards all of the signings we have made so far , is that they all have the potential to improve with right coaching and the right attitude , I,m quite happy with how things are progressing , the proof of the pudding though is when the season starts , I think Heaton will be the outstanding signing , based on youtube clips I have seen of him , and the managers assessment of him over a five day trial . Really looking forward to watching the big fella stuck in , he plays like he fears nobody.

How dare you good sir; interrupt the Bud and Zico thread with an article espousing an amount of common sense and with which I agree.  Well done you :rolleyes:

:offtopic

I attended my first Saints match before Stubbsy was born and have followed the team closely since 75/76. Most managers get appointed because they've been professional players and indeed Stubbsy's rivals for the Saints job were mainly ex-FT players themselves. I'd pit my knowledge of Bottom 6/Championship football (and indeed most BAWA posters even The Cap'n) against Stubbsy's currently.

JR spent much of his career at or around our level and maybe that's what made him a better manager for us than his two ex-OF predecessors. I know what types of players have been successful for us and what types haven't over the last forty years. For me Stubbsy's best appointment so far has been Brian Rice and although I've made a bit of a cunt of myself over the last two pages I genuinely want us to do well in the coming season.

:offtopic 

I trusted David Hay with all his signings. 

Was looking forward with great excitement to that Season. 

Thought Elliot would be the new Scanlon. 

Was a disappointment. 

One thing should be kept in mind. No two players are the same, and no example of a player from the past or present - good or bad - has any bearing whatsoever on any of the players we've signed this summer and how they will fare.

That said, this would be a poor forum without the kind of ding dong battle that has developed this afternoon, so keep it going lads. :thumbs2

20 minutes ago, shull said:

I trusted David Hay with all his signings. 

Was looking forward with great excitement to that Season. 

Thought Elliot would be the new Scanlon. 

Was a disappointment. 

Hay and Elliot in one sentence is like a shit sandwich.......huge disappointment. I have bad memories of Jim Gardiner as well but at least he tried.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well Halkett was available up till last week! I stand by my opinion he would've been a better signing than Heaton!

I'm sure there would've been others if Showbiz Stubbsy had been interested...……. 

Obviously he wasn't.  :rolleyes:

Edited by pod

1 hour ago, magnus said:

Hay and Elliot in one sentence is like a shit sandwich.......huge disappointment. I have bad memories of Jim Gardiner as well but at least he tried.

Not a problem with Jimbo. He gave 100%, unlike heartless and lazy  Elliot. 

He just wasn't as talented as Peter Weir. 

Jim Gardner is possibly the worst excuse for a footballer I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch in the stripes. The fact that Motherwell got Paul Lambert and we got Gardner in part exchange, remains one of life’s great mysteries. Jimmy Bone must have been taking the same substance Maradonna was on last night, when he sanctioned that deal.:(

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well Halkett was available up till last week! I stand by my opinion he would've been a better signing than Heaton!

So, your example of the sort of Premiership bottom 6 type of player you would like us to have signed is a guy who has never played in the Premiership? :blink:

I have no idea whether Heaton will turn out to be better than Halkett or vice versa.

What we do know though is that no-one else wanted Halkett and we know for sure that he will never ever be a player we can sell on for big money!

That said, I wouldn't have grumbled had we signed him as well!

Edited by zico

1 minute ago, class of 76-77 said:

Jim Gardner is possibly the worst excuse for a footballer I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch in the stripes. The fact that Motherwell got Paul Lambert and we got Gardner in part exchange, remains one of life’s great mysteries. Jimmy Bone must have been taking the same substance Maradonna was on last night, when he sanctioned that deal.:(

The bank told us that we had to take Motherwell's offer.

The pity is that we had accepted an offer of £500k from Dundee United the previous year but Lambert turned it down cos his missus didn't want to move away.....