Tony Connell

Last year I took my son to the football museum at Hampden and we got a taxi back into town. I got blethering to the taxi driver about football and the museum and it turned out he was Tony Connell’s brother. He was well chuffed when I told him that there was a picture of Tony Connell in the museum, which he was unaware of. He was a great guy and had good stories about his brother’s time at Third Lanark(where he was captain when they folded) and St Mirren. The chat after we arrived at our destination was longer than the journey, but we were off the meter by then (Shull). Connell was well before my time, but it was a really interesting chat with a real character.

Part of the first saints team I really remember. 67-68 season I would be 9-10. Had been to lots of games before that but that is the first season I really remember. League champions in the first half beat rangers in the second half of year for the first time in many years.

1 hour ago, guinness said:

Part of the first saints team I really remember. 67-68 season I would be 9-10. Had been to lots of games before that but that is the first season I really remember. League champions in the first half beat rangers in the second half of year for the first time in many years.

Was that the game Hugh Gilshan scored?

10 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Did any other buds see the Saints legend on the Third Lanark documentary show on Alba? He was interviewed and brought back great memories of him and Cammy Murray when I started watching our beloved team in 60s.

Yes Connell was like Jimmy Hill without the chin, good left back I thought and Canny Murray was one of my mates uncles, a Buddies stalwart for years, we had a decent defense in them days .............ahhhh when aaaa  were a lad  :D

9 hours ago, guinness said:

First team I remember too. They were amazing. Tony Connell was the first autograph in my newly acquired autograph book.  Nice guy, good player too.