4 told they can leave

To be fair my only surprise is Eckersley. Even if he stayed as a back up left back. Big Gaz is a good player but we really only got 2 half seasons out of him. Even Jack Ross never played McShane in the last half of the season. Ryan Flynn has given the midfield a better balance. Good steady pro tho. Stewart we never really seen a lot of him. But good luck to all 4 I'm certain good championship clubs will pick them up. And never forget these guys are Saints legends for what they've done in the last 18 months. So if they ever play against us give them a good reception. COYS.

I seem to remember a good few saying that the championship winning team weren't good enough to compete in the Premier and my argument was we're not in the premier! Now that we are, i agree with Zico i'm  very optimistic about our chances of doing well i think Stubbs will replace them with better players.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Stubbs is no fool he said every player will be given a chance those who don't come up to the mark in Spain will be out the door.  

No he didn't You just made that up. :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, div said:

Hopefully everyone will feel more re-assured when we've had more new arrivals.

It's going to be an exciting season one way or the other lads. Never a dull moment supporting the buds!

I've heard he's got a short list of 50.

It's going to be an exciting season one way or the other lads. Never a dull moment supporting the buds!

It’s all very well letting guys go if you feel they’re not going to fit with your plans but any team will need experience to rely on and we’re lacking in that dept right now with only really Sammy and McGinn in that category IMO.

If Stubbs is looking (as per his previous interview) at the English U23 market for loans then that won’t address that issue.

The latest guy on trial is a young boy with about 30 games in 4 years with numerous clubs so I’m not sure that he’s going to add quality or experience.

Can’t even say “it’s early days yet” as we kick off next week and I’m not sure we even have a team at the moment.

Something just feels wrong about tearing a team of winners apart and replacing it with unproven guys from the depths of English football.

Hope my concern is unwarranted.

42 minutes ago, DLBud said:

he latest guy on trial is a young boy with about 30 games in 4 years with numerous clubs so I’m not sure that he’s going to add quality or experience.

based on what I can read about him I agree on the experience but he sounds as if he has some quality about him

39 minutes ago, DLBud said:

It’s all very well letting guys go if you feel they’re not going to fit with your plans but any team will need experience to rely on and we’re lacking in that dept right now with only really Sammy and McGinn in that category IMO.

If Stubbs is looking (as per his previous interview) at the English U23 market for loans then that won’t address that issue.

The latest guy on trial is a young boy with about 30 games in 4 years with numerous clubs so I’m not sure that he’s going to add quality or experience.

Can’t even say “it’s early days yet” as we kick off next week and I’m not sure we even have a team at the moment.

Something just feels wrong about tearing a team of winners apart and replacing it with unproven guys from the depths of English football.

Hope my concern is unwarranted.

We have Premiership experience currently in the form of Sammy, both McGinns and Flynn (and technically Baird), with talk that another 7 or 8 players will be coming into the squad, possibly more dependent on whether any of the four who have been told they can find a new club do so.

I'd expect a few more new faces in before the Kilmarnock match, with more following in the coming weeks.

The team of winners we had already had Mogan and Liam Smith taken from it, with Reilly not desperate to stay. I think most would've agreed we were not strong enough to really compete in the Premiership with last season's squad, and recruitment was needed, as well as letting a few go who weren't considered good enough for the step up - Jack would have done similar to what Stubbs is doing now, although he may have felt more loyalty towards some, but he has shown he can be ruthless, so possibly not.

11 hours ago, Stockholmbud said:

McKenzie mcshane Stewart goalie Eckersley

Assuming this is true - I admire Stubbs approach. I could make a case for each to be retained but this would be based on sentiment. This is a time of fundamental change on and out of the Playing squad. Tough, direct, no nonsense Managment. As always results will show how successfull the changes are, but I like it.

3 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He hasn’t been let go...

That's the big thing as the transfer market is full of plenty players freed trying to find clubs plus players who have been told to find clubs who are still under contract. Would not surprised if all four are still here for next season. 

14 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

That's the big thing as the transfer market is full of plenty players freed trying to find clubs plus players who have been told to find clubs who are still under contract. Would not surprised if all four are still here for next season. 

They won't be . At worst they'll be out on loan having someone else paying their wages , I would imagine championship clubs will be circling already !

Assuming this is true - I admire Stubbs approach. I could make a case for each to be retained but this would be based on sentiment.

I agree that sentiment is a poor perspective when looking to build a squad for the Premiership, however, in GMac and Eckersley we are releasing two players who have been rock solid for us and have experience of the top flight.

If Stubbs finds better quality to replace them then I’m very much in the camp of “thanks for the memories guys” as football is no longer about loyalty on either side of the player/club dynamic.

That being said the initial signings don’t instill me with much hope this will be the case. I hope he has f**king good plan up his sleeve.

I agree that sentiment is a poor perspective when looking to build a squad for the Premiership, however, in GMac and Eckersley we are releasing two players who have been rock solid for us and have experience of the top flight.

If Stubbs finds better quality to replace them then I’m very much in the camp of “thanks for the memories guys” as football is no longer about loyalty on either side of the player/club dynamic.

That being said the initial signings don’t instill me with much hope this will be the case. I hope he has f**king good plan up his sleeve.
Agree 100%

10 hours ago, zico said:

Samson - McGinn, Baird, Heaton, Kpekawa - Flynn, Magennis, McGinn, Kellerman - Smith, Mullen

Subs - Cooke, Hippolyte, Stewart (striker), Kirkpatrick, Erhahon

That is truly feckin terrifying!!

8 hours ago, div said:

Div, in case you hadn’t noticed the season starts a week on Saturday. I am absolutely stunned at the lack of activity by Stubbs so far. All he’s done is get rid of loads on players and sign a few English non league players.

I am seriously unimpressed.