4 told they can leave

1 minute ago, div said:

I wouldn't write off the League Cup campaign quite yet. A lot can change very quickly in football, and either way we should still have enough about us to take care of Spartans, Dumbarton and Queens Park even with the squad as it currently stands.

Stubbs has consistently said that we'd need to be patient to land some of his signing targets.

Good things and all that................!

Absolutely.  

41 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Div saying more than 4 being told to move on. 

Think you can safely assume that the other Ross Stewart and Jordan Kirkpatrick will both leave before the season begins. Both "project players" for Jack and Stubbs doesn't look like he's going to continue down that track.

1 minute ago, div said:

Think you can safely assume that the other Ross Stewart and Jordan Kirkpatrick will both leave before the season begins. Both "project players" for Jack and Stubbs doesn't look like he's going to continue down that track.

Noooooooooooooooooo! Surely Noooooooooooo! Doesnt Stubbzo know that apparently "There's a player in" big Ross..?

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

The success was built around the width Junior Mendes gave us, which is why him sneaking off to Dunfermline was such a problem.

Junior Mendes was there for a few years before we won the league!

The success was built around the ball getting punted into Yardley & Lavety!

The problem was that we didn't have that strikeforce in the top flight and we were up against far superior opposition!

Mendes did nothing at Dunfermline in the top flight. Didn't cause them such a problem.

Edited by zico

Just now, zico said:

Junior Mendes was there for a few years before we won the league!

The success was built around the ball getting punted into Yardley & Lavety!

The problem was that we didn't have that strikeforce in the top flight and we were up against far superior opposition!

Nope.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Oh dear , McCoist with McDowell was rumoured I wrote it would not be a bad choice. Stokes,  I wrote he would be a good signing.  Miller I said he would be a good signing, Alan Stubbs I said would be a good signing.  Hope that's enough ammunition for you to fire away with. What it has to do with the cup competition  only you know.. Not at a high level I joined a team at 34 in Glasgow,  we did not train we just turned up to play games why you seem to think players who have trained for weeks can not be competitive in a national cup competition  is  strange.   Never mind if you don't agree there is ammunition in this post for you to pick up and throw at me which strangely you have been doing for a while now. 

Christ almighty. 

I never said that I don't think they 'can' be competitive. I said that I don't think that there should or will be too much importance placed on the LC this season. 

I said given the point in the year that the groups happen, it should be treated as glorified friendlies. If we get out the group, great, if not its no big deal. 

16 minutes ago, zico said:

Yip.

Yip also. 

Crosses and very long passes from Ross, Nicolson and Walker towards Lavety and Yardley caused havoc and great fear in opposition defences. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Christ almighty. 

I never said that I don't think they 'can' be competitive. I said that I don't think that there should or will be too much importance placed on the LC this season. 

I said given the point in the year that the groups happen, it should be treated as glorified friendlies. If we get out the group, great, if not its no big deal. 

Personally I think we have more than enough to go through from the group stages , Killie game will be hard to win with the squad as it is. 

25 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Personally I think we have more than enough to go through from the group stages , Killie game will be hard to win with the squad as it is. 

Given the other 3 teams we are probably going to have to beat Killie to top the group and go through - that is a very tall order with the squad as it is just now

Queen of the South inquired about MacKenzie but nothing doing. Guessing they can't afford his wages.

All four are under contract and are quite entitled to sit tight until the get an offer that makes it worth them leaving - be that decent wages from whoever wants them or a suitable pay-off from us that helps make up the shortfall. Could be we're stuck with them for a while.

Edited by Stu

Stubbs is the first boss in a long time that we have appointed with Premiership experience so it should follow that he knows more than most what’s required to compete with the other teams in the division. He’s taken long enough to assess the quality he already has and if it marries with who he wants to bring in we will not be the whipping boys of the prem. I don’t see Stubbs as someone who would just settle for survival even in our first season back. If you’re not good enough you are out. Very definite message sent out by him already. 

Stubbs taking a fairly big risk to make so many changes to a well balanced team. HOWEVER, the core of the squad remains. McGinn and Magennis are the 2 I would've said were must keep. They seem to be staying put. 

With 7+ players still to come in, I'd expect we'll see a few loan deals and maybe a few players who's names we recognise. 

4 (possibly 6) being allowed to leave - and the LC opener just a week away.

One of JRs most impressive talents was getting rid of unwanted players - lets hope Stubbsy can do as well. Most likely we'll have to sweeten the deals - Mackenzie might be hardest to move on as his contract was only renewed last month after we'd won the title.

I seem to be in the minority on here but I support a yoyo club and would be happy with 10th place and a decent cup run - maybe the Colts will be the ones to follow this season...…….

12 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Stubbs is the first boss in a long time that we have appointed with Premiership experience so it should follow that he knows more than most what’s required to compete with the other teams in the division. He’s taken long enough to assess the quality he already has and if it marries with who he wants to bring in we will not be the whipping boys of the prem. I don’t see Stubbs as someone who would just settle for survival even in our first season back. If you’re not good enough you are out. Very definite message sent out by him already. 

Do you mean premiership as a player he has only managed in the Scottish championship.  

24 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

If you mean premier as a player than that's not true, we've had several including our last manager. If you mean as manager, Stubbs has never managed in the SP.  

Queen of the South inquired about MacKenzie but nothing doing. Guessing they can't afford his wages.

All four are under contract and are quite entitled to sit tight until the get an offer that makes it worth them leaving - be that decent wages from whoever wants them or a suitable pay-off from us that helps make up the shortfall. Could be we're stuck with them for a while.

Can't see McKenzie playing all games home on that dreadful pitch with his history of injuries.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

That's one of the things that worries me with this move at the moment, if the 4 don't all get moves we are stuck with 4 unhappy players who have been given a vote of no confidence from the new manager after 1 week of pre-season training... and if we throw in Reilly having his contract offer removed and possibly a few others being told they can leave as well its looking like Stubbs will have offloaded 50% of the players he was left with from last year's squad. Say what you like about the quality of last year's squad, but it did seem they had a winning mentality and fringe players seemed to buy into what the squad was achieving as a whole and we seemed to have a united dressing room.

Genuinely not sure how things will pan out if last year's squad ends up being replaced by a lot of English non-league part time players stepping up to the premiership with lots of English development squad players also stepping up. I would imagine that's a recipe for cliques forming rather than togetherness.

47 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

That's one of the things that worries me with this move at the moment, if the 4 don't all get moves we are stuck with 4 unhappy players who have been given a vote of no confidence from the new manager after 1 week of pre-season training... and if we throw in Reilly having his contract offer removed and possibly a few others being told they can leave as well its looking like Stubbs will have offloaded 50% of the players he was left with from last year's squad. Say what you like about the quality of last year's squad, but it did seem they had a winning mentality and fringe players seemed to buy into what the squad was achieving as a whole and we seemed to have a united dressing room.

Genuinely not sure how things will pan out if last year's squad ends up being replaced by a lot of English non-league part time players stepping up to the premiership with lots of English development squad players also stepping up. I would imagine that's a recipe for cliques forming rather than togetherness.

Is there dark clouds with pouring rain in Paisley today ? Bute is baking in sunshine. It's going to be a wonderful season for St Mirren football club. 

There is still several weeks before the transfer window closes. The big test for Stubbs will be just how good a quality we can bring in.  Just now i am hoping that these are squad players and the real team are waiting in the wings to be signed.