4 told they can leave

59 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

That's one of the things that worries me with this move at the moment, if the 4 don't all get moves we are stuck with 4 unhappy players who have been given a vote of no confidence from the new manager after 1 week of pre-season training... and if we throw in Reilly having his contract offer removed and possibly a few others being told they can leave as well its looking like Stubbs will have offloaded 50% of the players he was left with from last year's squad. Say what you like about the quality of last year's squad, but it did seem they had a winning mentality and fringe players seemed to buy into what the squad was achieving as a whole and we seemed to have a united dressing room.

Genuinely not sure how things will pan out if last year's squad ends up being replaced by a lot of English non-league part time players stepping up to the premiership with lots of English development squad players also stepping up. I would imagine that's a recipe for cliques forming rather than togetherness.

TBF it's reminiscent of what GLS did with JR  18 months ago - back him to form is own team ASAP.

Spoiler

Tick-Tock!

10 minutes ago, HSS said:

Do the doubters seriously think Stubbsy wants to come here to be a failure?

Nope. Everyone is hoping Stubbsy is a huge success at Saints. This is just supporters expressing opinions on the early comings and goings- some with memories of Danny bringing 3 guys from Cowdenbeath and 1 working out and T. Craig bringing in some lower league English guys with zero success. My hope is that Stubbsy isn't underestimating just how good the standard is in Scotland's top flight. With luck the new guys will be the easier ones to sign up and the more exciting signings are on the way. 

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

That's one of the things that worries me with this move at the moment, if the 4 don't all get moves we are stuck with 4 unhappy players who have been given a vote of no confidence from the new manager after 1 week of pre-season training... and if we throw in Reilly having his contract offer removed and possibly a few others being told they can leave as well its looking like Stubbs will have offloaded 50% of the players he was left with from last year's squad. Say what you like about the quality of last year's squad, but it did seem they had a winning mentality and fringe players seemed to buy into what the squad was achieving as a whole and we seemed to have a united dressing room.

Genuinely not sure how things will pan out if last year's squad ends up being replaced by a lot of English non-league part time players stepping up to the premiership with lots of English development squad players also stepping up. I would imagine that's a recipe for cliques forming rather than togetherness.

Depends how the conversation went. It may of been along the lines of, “you are experienced players and probably don’t want to spend the season as back up”.

17 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The league cup not the propaganda put out by the press which you have swallowed tooth and nail. 

That really is rich coming from a man obsessed with believing every conspiracy theory on every subject. :lol:

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

TBF it's reminiscent of what GLS did with JR  18 months ago - back him to form is own team ASAP.

Reveal hidden contents

Tick-Tock!

The difference is 18 months ago we were adrift at the bottom of the Championship, now we are off the back of winning the league by 12 points. Maybe it's just me but while some chose to leave, most of the ones we are binning perhaps deserve a wee bit more loyalty. If we replace with greater quality, then fantastic, but if not we could be in trouble this season.

21 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I honestly wouldn't put any stock at all in the league Cup. Yes, we won it in 2013 but the dynamic of the tournament was very different then and set up to take the early stages more seriously as these rounds started when a completed squad was in place. 

The group stages are and should be treated as a gelling exercise. If we get through, it's a nice bonus but let's be honest, in mid July, most squads are still in that stage where they are incomplete and getting to know one another. Next Saturday is not, nor should it be a milestone to start judging. 

We'll be a work in process right up until the real stuff starts. 

Sorry, don't agree.

A national trophy, not, IMO, to be treated as a "gelling" exercise. 

Can't see the sense in writing off one of only two national trophies before a ball is kicked, not to mention the fact public are paying good money. 

Sorry, don't agree.
A national trophy, not, IMO, to be treated as a "gelling" exercise. 
Can't see the sense in writing off one of only two national trophies before a ball is kicked, not to mention the fact public are paying good money. 
In more normal circumstances I would agree, to an extent. However, our new manager is building his own team for the premiership and I'd rather he took his time and assembled a squad with his targeted players. Unfortunately, not all of these players are available instantaneously. If our place in the next round has to be sacrificed for long term gain, then I'll accept that with a bit of reluctance.

23 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:
On 7/5/2018 at 7:35 PM, DLBud said:
I agree that sentiment is a poor perspective when looking to build a squad for the Premiership, however, in GMac and Eckersley we are releasing two players who have been rock solid for us and have experience of the top flight.

If Stubbs finds better quality to replace them then I’m very much in the camp of “thanks for the memories guys” as football is no longer about loyalty on either side of the player/club dynamic.

That being said the initial signings don’t instill me with much hope this will be the case. I hope he has f**king good plan up his sleeve.

Agree 100%

Especially with the Flipping good plan:   :D

Mackenzie and Eckersley missed 34 games between them last season

McShane was benched by JR for the run in

Stewart never played

Is it any wonder that Stubbs thinks he can get better?

If these guys were free agents who had been with other clubs last season, I doubt that anyone would be happy with us signing them.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That really is rich coming from a man obsessed with believing every conspiracy theory on every subject. :lol:

LOL I have truly rattled your cage so going to give myself a wee pat on the head. Pat, Pat, pat that feels real good.  What is quite disturbing is the fact you teach students :blink:

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

LOL I have truly rattled your cage so going to give myself a wee pat on the head. Pat, Pat, pat that feels real good.  What is quite disturbing is the fact you teach students :blink:

Was the middle sentence intended for another forum with a more, ahem, adult theme? I wonder who Pat is.

3 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Callum Ball was a Derby County man. Went on loan to Coventry, Torquay, and Notts County.

Just goes to show that having an English footie pedigree doesn't guarantee the player will scoosh it in the Scottish top flight.