4 told they can leave

15 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

What I saw of him Friday, he looked pretty good! Hope his injury isn't a bad one. 

I was with the majority I believe, in thinking Kirkpatrick would be on his way, but Friday made me take notice. Played very well and could well be worth keeping on. The fact that he's still here suggests the manager sees something in him or he'd no doubt be back at Alloa already.

Looking forward to tonight's match far more than i though I would be last week at this point...

After last night it looks like a crazy decision to let these guys go if their replacements are some of the new guys who were on display. Some Spartans players were better quality. Early days but some looked way out of their depth.

I've said a number of times that I fear for us, although we've only played two games I'm definitely not changing my mind. I think to rip what was a good Championship team apart in one fell swoop was too much and most of these newcomers don't look any better, infact they look worse.

As for these marquee signings, I'll not hold my breath. Could be a long season for us all. :(

37 minutes ago, Sonny said:

After last night it looks like a crazy decision to let these guys go if their replacements are some of the new guys who were on display. Some Spartans players were better quality. Early days but some looked way out of their depth.

Agreed that a few of them caused concern but let's be honest, had Spartans dug in and been a tenacious, dogged side with a few decent footballers we could have just about accepted it. 

Their goalie aside, there was not a single impressive Spartans player on the park last night for me though. Its testament to just how shite we were that a team as bad as Spartans left with anything whatsoever. 

The new signings were awful, but it is important to point out that until the introduction of Stephen McGinn, everyone was awful. Even guys like Flynn and Cammy Smith. 

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed that a few of them caused concern but let's be honest, had Spartans dug in and been a tenacious, dogged side with a few decent footballers we could have just about accepted it. 

Their goalie aside, there was not a single impressive Spartans player on the park last night for me though. Its testament to just how shite we were that a team as bad as Spartans left with anything whatsoever. 

The new signings were awful, but it is important to point out that until the introduction of Stephen McGinn, everyone was awful. Even guys like Flynn and Cammy Smith. 

I thought Spartans played well as a team unit. You could tell our starting 11 had never played with each before.

I thought Ex Bud, Jack Smith played very well.  Was involved in lots of Spartans play and rarely wasted a ball.

With a proper attitude in his early career he could have made it to the top.

Maybe, he still can.

Man of the Match last night.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

I thought Spartans played well as a team unit. You could tell our starting 11 had never played with each before.

It's things like this that can make the difference. They won their league last season and I presume they've kept most of their squad together. They know each other's strengths and weaknesses and know how to work as a team. On the other hand we've played once, we have a new manager and a few new players.  We might be better (hard to say ATM!) but a team is always better than some good individuals. 

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

I think last night showed it's right call to let McShane go. If he can't get motivated for a game where he should be showing he deserves to be kept/ putting himself in the shop window, he won't be SP quality. 

I'd keep Eck if possible however the new LB looks really decent. He was well scouted last night, Eck might want more game time than we can give. 

I know it's early doors but Heaton looked shocking and out of place. For me Mackenzie is the best CB we have at the club right now (although granted after a few games Heaton and Kpekawa might prove otherwise)  

16 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It's things like this that can make the difference. They won their league last season and I presume they've kept most of their squad together. They know each other's strengths and weaknesses and know how to work as a team. On the other hand we've played once, we have a new manager and a few new players.  We might be better (hard to say ATM!) but a team is always better than some good individuals. 

Exactly. I think there were 6 changes in our line up last night from Friday night's, so you could say these teams are experimental.

I think to rip what was a good Championship team apart in one fell swoop was too much and most of these newcomers don't look any better, infact they look worse.

Of the regular side in the last quarter of last season, the only 2 players that Stubbs has said he wants shot of are Eckersley and Mackenzie - who are both still here.

And Coulson appears to be better than Eckersley while Mackenzie missed half of last season!

Hardly ripping apart!

33 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Of the regular side in the last quarter of last season, the only 2 players that Stubbs has said he wants shot of are Eckersley and Mackenzie - who are both still here.

And Coulson appears to be better than Eckersley while Mackenzie missed half of last season!

Hardly ripping apart!

Only two of our regular 11 at the end of last season (Flynn & Smith) played last night

Only five of our regular 11 at the end of last season (Flynn, Smith, Sammy, McGinn & Mullen) played on Friday.

It's a complete rip up (granted some have been forced with Davies & Morgan going. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Only two of our regular 11 at the end of last season (Flynn & Smith) played last night

Stephen McGinn played last night. As did Danny Mullen. I assume you mean that only two started the game?

When they came on, the game changed dramatically. Flynn and Smith improved, and the general intensity of the game was lifted.

We have a core of decent players, and a few have been added who may or may not make the grade. It is too early to condemn them as makeweights, in my view (though I do concede that the early signs weren't encouraging in respect of a few of them). I think nerves featured, and it was clear that some of the players who started the game were struggling in terms of fitness and sharpness.

You are also forgetting that Liam Smith, our ever present right back, has left - something out with the control of Stubbs.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Stephen McGinn played last night. As did Danny Mullen. I assume you mean that only two started the game?

When they came on, the game changed dramatically. Flynn and Smith improved, and the general intensity of the game was lifted.

We have a core of decent players, and a few have been added who may or may not make the grade. It is too early to condemn them as makeweights, in my view (though I do concede that the early signs weren't encouraging in respect of a few of them). I think nerves featured, and it was clear that some of the players who started the game were struggling in terms of fitness and sharpness.

You are also forgetting that Liam Smith, our ever present right back, has left - something out with the control of Stubbs.

We need at least four players brought in.

Another "Stephen McGinn" type midfielder.

Two "first choice" strikers.

A full back that can play LB and RB positions. Possibly Lee Hodson.

If Stubbs is not going to keep MacKenzie, then we require another first pick CH to play alongside Kpekawa.

All IMO of course.

Last season we were a good Championship side in a poor Championship league. Each time we came up against the big teams,we got thumped! We did not have a team capable of competing in the Premiership. Our Championship greats struggled last season against East Kilbride, Hearts Colts & Brechin, yet we won the league.Yesterdays greats belong to yesterday, and will always be a part of our history, but it's time to look forward and build a team for the Premiership, which does not happen over night.    COYS

6 Changes (1 through injury) and it showed.  Bizarre first goal awarded after linesman raised his flag for offside and our players stopped.  Cristina to Spartans,  their second was well taken.  How we failed to score more with 33+ shots on goal was amazing. My point is.... We were not good.  But we did create more chances than I can remember seeing in one game.  Won't judge new players on one home game but hoped for more from McShane. Definitely room for improvement.  Back to you Mr Stubbs. 

I think it's too early to be writing players off. Based on last night we'd be writing Cammy Smith and Ryan Flynn off - among others - after a poor first hour. We know those two are good players from previous performances, and they get the benefit of the doubt as it's still basically preseason, therefore the new players should surely get the same benefit, given for a few it was their first start in a Saints shirt and for all of them it is still very early days.

Very disappointing display against a non-league team, but we struggled similarly last season, against Thistle especially, and that was with far less upheaval in terms of new players and new managers. Having competitive games when we should be having friendlies is far from ideal and doesn't afford the players the chance to play themselves to optimum condition before a serious match is played.

Glad to have a friendly on Saturday for players to get more gametime to get up to speed in terms of fitness and sharpness, and to get a chance to redeem themselves for a sluggish display last night.

19 minutes ago, billyg said:

Do the new shorts have a "mirror" pocket so big Cody can make sure he hasn't got a hair out of place ? I guess King will need one too to make  sure his fake tan isn't fading !

In fairness  they do all look the part. I also thought Jim Kellerman looked and played a bit like Tom Walsh.