4 told they can leave

I thought Spartans played well as a team unit. You could tell our starting 11 had never played with each before.
Isn't that the bottom line, that the players have not had time to gell together, or fully understand the system the manager wants to employ and their individual role in it ?
I am as disappointed and frustrated as anyone after last night's performance and result, but even I have to accept that it's way to early to be making calls on the relative ability of the manager or his players.
Plenty time yet, just need to be more patient.

I thought Spartans played well as a team unit. You could tell our starting 11 had never played with each before.
Isn't that the bottom line, that the players have not had time to gell together, or fully understand the system the manager wants to employ and their individual role in it ?
I am as disappointed and frustrated as anyone after last night's performance and result, but even I have to accept that it's way to early to be making calls on the relative ability of the manager or his players.

45 minutes ago, Drew said:

Stephen McGinn played last night. As did Danny Mullen. I assume you mean that only two started the game?

When they came on, the game changed dramatically. Flynn and Smith improved, and the general intensity of the game was lifted.

We have a core of decent players, and a few have been added who may or may not make the grade. It is too early to condemn them as makeweights, in my view (though I do concede that the early signs weren't encouraging in respect of a few of them). I think nerves featured, and it was clear that some of the players who started the game were struggling in terms of fitness and sharpness.

You are also forgetting that Liam Smith, our ever present right back, has left - something out with the control of Stubbs.

yes

Like I said I know some players were outside his control. I have concern but I'm by no means saying the season will be a nightmare based on what we've seen so far. IMO regardless of conditioning, sharpeness and nerve, any St Mirren team should really be putting away Spartans with ease. 

13 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Hit the nail on the head there mate................

Whilst we have been watching Hazard, Neymar, Ronaldo and of course the entire England team:whistle for the last month, we maybe think that football is an easy  game. Fact is our boys have just met and that was clear. I cant judge Cody bar the fact he gave 100%, I liked the positions Paul McGinn got into and I agree Cammy needs a more central role. However at this time, we used to play bounce games, use 6 subs or even 11 and try things. Thanks to wisdom of the bosses of our Scottish game, we now get competitive in mid July.......

Boys will gel, and I still sure we will see more faces----- WHO ALSO NEED TIME 

21 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

I am okay with players having poor games and just not connecting yet as they are new. Last night was not just that. There was a lack of will, drive, passion and desire to do well. The energy levels were minimal. That should not be tolerated by any manager or fans. few of my observations:

• 1-0 down one of their players got injured and they kicked the ball out. Even when he was off the park it took a good 30 seconds to a minute for us to decide who's throwing the ball back into play. No urgency in a game you're losing is appalling 
  • Passing was lazy and not creative. A lot of the passing wasn't just a lack of sharpness and not knowing your team mates, it was a lack of effort.
  • The difference when McGinn came on. He was screaming at them when warming-up and when he came on it was like yer da catching you doing something you shouldn't. Again that's nothing to do with gelling and understanding systems. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but next competitive game I fully expect them to be energised and raring to go one to 90 minutes. Nothing less than 100% focus and commitment every single game is acceptable.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

yes

Like I said I know some players were outside his control. I have concern but I'm by no means saying the season will be a nightmare based on what we've seen so far. IMO regardless of conditioning, sharpeness and nerve, any St Mirren team should really be putting away Spartans with ease. 

Yes, perhaps we should be beating teams like Spartans with ease but football doesn't always work that way. Remember Celtic struggling to beat EK Thistle? How about Hearts v Auchinkeck Talbot where they scraped a 1-0? Both bigger clubs than us. Yes, we struggled and no doubt AS will have taken notice. Better to get problems sorted via a cup game and resolved for league duties.

7 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Yes, perhaps we should be beating teams like Spartans with ease but football doesn't always work that way. Remember Celtic struggling to beat EK Thistle? How about Hearts v Auchinkeck Talbot where they scraped a 1-0? Both bigger clubs than us. Yes, we struggled and no doubt AS will have taken notice. Better to get problems sorted via a cup game and resolved for league duties.

Yep and all those situations, the team fans should be equally concerned about what was happening. I said previously, I have no issue with off days (although it would also worry me) last night there was little drive, passion or will to do well. McGinn came on the park and it was like your da catching you doing something wrong. 

3 hours ago, munoz said:

Exactly. I think there were 6 changes in our line up last night from Friday night's, so you could say these teams are experimental.

You can also add that 8 of the team who faced Killie had played together last season, while P.McGinn had played at that level and Kpekawa has played at similar/higher level. Yesterday's team was more jumbled up with players who haven't yet gelled and worked together for long enough. 

Stubbs is clearly treating the BetFred as a series of pre-season friendlies and we should view both the results and the performances in that context.

So far, he's mainly signed non-league/inexperienced players from down south. Reckon his signings over the next few weeks will be what makes or breaks our season. At least wait and see who the 'marquees' are.

20 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Fans can dress this up as much as they like.Talbot pay their players more than some League One clubs.Spartans are a part time non league amateur side.No excuses whatsoever for a truly bad performance which gives serious cause for concern.

And the Killie game ? 

25 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Fans can dress this up as much as they like.Talbot pay their players more than some League One clubs.Spartans are a part time non league amateur side.No excuses whatsoever for a truly bad performance which gives serious cause for concern.

No they aren’t. Didn’t they win the 5th tier this season? Is it still called Lowland League?

Pretty sure Jack Smith wouldn’t have left EK, where he was paid, to move to Spartans for nada.

Only two of our regular 11 at the end of last season (Flynn & Smith) played last night

Only five of our regular 11 at the end of last season (Flynn, Smith, Sammy, McGinn & Mullen) played on Friday.

It's a complete rip up (granted some have been forced with Davies & Morgan going. 

Smith was a forced going as well. So that’s 3 that have nothing to do with Stubbs.

Magennis has been injured.

Samson, Flynn, McGinn, Smith & Mullen are still here and have featured.

So that’s 9 accounted for.

Coulson appears to be better than Eckersley while Mackenzie missed half the season and has been replaced by Baird who was here anyway.

As I said, Stubbs has hardly “ripped apart” the side.

Lewis Morgan was our best player by some distance. Without him we wouldn’t have won the league. His departure is the real problem.

Which makes it even more bizarre that so many fans couldn’t bring themselves to make him player of the season!

40 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Smith was a forced going as well. So that’s 3 that have nothing to do with Stubbs.

Coulson appears to be better than Eckersley while Mackenzie missed half the season and has been replaced by Baird who was here anyway.

Lewis Morgan was our best player by some distance. Without him we wouldn’t have won the league. His departure is the real problem.

Which makes it even more bizarre that so many fans couldn’t bring themselves to make him player of the season!

I'm assuming you didn't go to every game last season Wendy, over the full season Smith was far more consistent. Around the turn of the season Lewis had a number of below par performances.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

It’s pretty ripped up, regardless of how you look at it. we had nine changes last night from our settled, strongest 11 from last season and we drew 2-2 with a non league team. 

I'm assuming you didn't go to every game last season Wendy, over the full season Smith was far more consistent. Around the turn of the season Lewis had a number of below par performances.

Lewis’ ‘below par’ was still above everyone else’s par!

The opposition were doubling up, even trebling up on Lewis, hence creating space for others.

Lewis Morgan won us the league. Everyone else was a filler.

7 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You can also add that 8 of the team who faced Killie had played together last season, while P.McGinn had played at that level and Kpekawa has played at similar/higher level. Yesterday's team was more jumbled up with players who haven't yet gelled and worked together for long enough. 

I think you sir have got it spot on, Fridays team did seem more cohesive, worked harder and in truth generally outplayed Killy.  Coulson and Kpekawa, Paul mcGinn and the Friday team  worked. it looked like the reserves were out against Spartans, Coulson did OK as did Kellerman IMO, Heaton too was OK but occasionally seemed a bit nervous, Baird was better than Friday and whilst the rest did OK at times .. there were too many times when they looked a bit like strangers; but ....all said and done we are St Mirren what else would we expect?  :P

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Lewis’ ‘below par’ was still above everyone else’s par!

The opposition were doubling up, even trebling up on Lewis, hence creating space for others.

Lewis Morgan won us the league. Everyone else was a filler.

He was Buddie good .....but he wasn't a Saint  :)

57 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I think you sir have got it spot on, Fridays team did seem more cohesive, worked harder and in truth generally outplayed Killy.  Coulson and Kpekawa, Paul mcGinn and the Friday team  worked. it looked like the reserves were out against Spartans, Coulson did OK as did Kellerman IMO, Heaton too was OK but occasionally seemed a bit nervous, Baird was better than Friday and whilst the rest did OK at times .. there were too many times when they looked a bit like strangers; but ....all said and done we are St Mirren what else would we expect?  :P

Perhaps in a team not filled with strangers, any of Kellerman, King, Heaton or Cooke may have looked better? Others will know better than me as I wasn't there. It's possible that so many new bodies their shiteness offset on each other. Heaton may be better with a McKenzie or Davis next to him for instance. Hard to say and it's of course possible that some of them may definitely not be cut out for the SPL. But we can't judge after one game - Kirkpatrick looked very decent against Killie after being ineffective last season. I think the important thing is Stubbsy won't be blind to this, and won't be afraid to chop and change where he feels it's needed.