4 told they can leave

1 hour ago, pod said:

Lets hope he has a good working relationship with our established players.  One or two haven't been at their best or looking happy to date.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

More than 1 or 2.

20 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Well lets hope he moves them on and gets replacements. Stubbs needs his own team and there is no place for players who are not buying into the new manager. 

Up till now, he hasn't done very well in that department.

Players looking unhappy, were the back bone of the team last season. We can't afford to dismiss them.  

40 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I totally agree i'm surprise Eckersley was so silly, he's not a daft teenager.

In fairness, his tweet was a straightforward question. We can infer what we want from it, but, on the face of it, it was pretty innocuous.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Some amount a nonsense being talked on here from the usual suspects. Given the candidates, Stubbs was the best possible appointment for St Mirren.

Look at his CV:

Captain of Bolton at 22, England B international, Celtic's record signing, numerous trophies, Champions League experience, played 5 seasons in the English Premiership. Worked for and learned from Bruce Rioch, Tommy Burns, Wim Jansen, Martin O'Neill, Walter Smith, David Moyes and Mick McCarthy, to name a few. He started on the road to management because he was handpicked, at the age of 36, by David Moyes to coach their young players.  Don't forget either that Stubbs was diagnosed with cancer twice; the second time he thought it was gone then they found a tumour at the bottom of his spine during a routine scan. Chemotherapy and an operation followed. His kids were 2 and 4 at the time. He came back from that to play nearly 200 games for Everton. This is a strong and determined character. As for getting the sack from Rotherham, Derek McInnes and Steve Clarke suffered similar fates and are doing okay now...

Who really thinks, if they were a member of our board, that a teacher from Northern Ireland, Jim McIntyre or Gary Caldwell would be better options?

What Stubbs has done so far with us..... obviously his first problem is that he's not Jack Ross and there's nothing he can do about that. The "marquee signings" chat was a mistake. No doubt. I think he was on a wee bit of a high being back in football and after a decent performance against Killie. What's happened with G. Mac and Eck, it doesn't look great from the outside but nobody knows what's happened there (though waiting for billyg to make something up again) Regarding Eck, Stubbs signed him for Hibs so he knew what he was getting with that player. Given Eckersley's age and injury history I think it's safe to say Coulson is a better option. As for signings, they will come.

Call me mad, and I know that a whole 13 days have now passed since his first game in charge, but I remain optimistic we'll be a success under Stubbsy.  

The man is building a team he needs time to do that. 

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

In fairness, his tweet was a straightforward question. We can infer what we want from it, but, on the face of it, it was pretty innocuous.

Yeah i agree but in his position why not just text or dig him up the next day? The social media thing isn't worth it when you're in the spotlight like footballers are.

Btw, I think it’s now clear to see why Jack was whoring himself round any decent club down south. The squad was no where near good enough and if Hippolyte and Flynn are ‘ones for next season’ added to the signings of Kellerman and McGinn I think major questions need to be asked of his premier league signings.

Looking back Jack probably overachieved with the squad last year, added to the fact no one else in the league hit any level of consistency.

Whoever came in was going to have a massive rebuild ahead of them, especially after losing Morgan and Davis.

Everyone is saying the feel good factor is gone from last year but 2 or 3 decent signings before next Saturday and a win against Dundee and I’m sure that will all disappear

Not saying everything is rosy, QP game was my first game and it was f**king grim.

On recruitment there’s not been many signings the other teams have made that has made me think I wish we got them (Motherwell signing Connor Sammon FFS). At least the manager isn’t blind to it and is highlighting how much he needs to get the right striker in.

54 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I totally agree i'm surprise Eckersley was so silly, he's not a daft teenager.

I believe Top Man Jimbo tweeted that Eckersley was injured, and as far as I can see Eckersley tweeted back asking if that was his personal opinion or he was making that announcement as St Mirren's media guy. I don't know if any other tweets were sent by the player but that's all that's showing now. Most people reading the exchange today would assume he was implying he isn't injured but little more than that. The heat came from fans asking Eckersley to comment on his opinion of Stubbs - which as far as I can see he didn't do, he also didn't appear to attack Top Man Jimbo either.

Why would the club's media guy be tweeting that a player is injured when he isn't? Honest mistake? Perhaps Top Man Jimbo (a club employee by the way) could have owned up to the mistake. Unless of course the club are saying that the reason why Stubbs has no interest in giving Eckersley any match fitness opportunities is the plan is to freeze Eckersley out the picture for the season and maybe ruin his career unless he accepts what is a miserly offer of a pay off of his contract at less than 25% of what he is due. When Jack Ross was offered 5x his salary the argument was made that most people would have made the same choice. If your employer put a new manager in your department and they wanted to pay off the remainder of your contract would you accept the kind of deal Eckersley has supposedly been offered. Throw in the fact that its a short career and he has a family to support.

5 hours ago, billyg said:

He'll get more time , there's no other option right now unless he gets enough bad press to make him walk. Word will be getting about that things are not all well here , making it less likely for clubs to allow their players to come here on loan. I really hope we can get the whole business sorted out before flag day next week , but I just don't see it !

Billy how do we know things are not well behind the scene at  our club?

If Tony Fitzpatrick wants to claim our problem at the minute is that we are 1 year ahead of schedule perhaps he should reflect on why that is the case. Jack Ross & James Fowler did a great job and got their reward and went on to a new job with a salary 5x what we were paying them. The players also deserve huge credit for over-achieving last season. It's not Eckersley's fault if the club expected to be in the championship for 2 more seasons when he signed a 2 year contract extension last summer or Jack Baird's fault that he did the same and it's not Gary MacKenzie's fault that he signed a 1 year contract extension a few weeks before Jack Ross was sending his CV to any English club with a vacancy.

If there is any truth in the rumour that the club have offered to mutually consent players from last year, who overachieved and got the club promoted 1 year too early, by offering to rip up their contracts and give them less than 25% of what they are due, Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott and CEO and chairman should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure REA posted previously that when players or staff left by mutual consent the club paid up the remainder of their contracts but saved on paying the national insurance / income tax.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If our board want Stubbs to be a success they need to back him and get players in. It's easy to see the frustration in his interviews over this. 

They've backed him enough to at least get wins against Queens Park and Spartans. 

6 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

If Tony Fitzpatrick wants to claim our problem at the minute is that we are 1 year ahead of schedule perhaps he should reflect on why that is the case. Jack Ross & James Fowler did a great job and got their reward and went on to a new job with a salary 5x what we were paying them. The players also deserve huge credit for over-achieving last season. It's not Eckersley's fault if the club expected to be in the championship for 2 more seasons when he signed a 2 year contract extension last summer or Jack Baird's fault that he did the same and it's not Gary MacKenzie's fault that he signed a 1 year contract extension a few weeks before Jack Ross was sending his CV to any English club with a vacancy.

If there is any truth in the rumour that the club have offered to mutually consent players from last year, who overachieved and got the club promoted 1 year too early, by offering to rip up their contracts and give them less than 25% of what they are due, Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott and CEO and chairman should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure REA posted previously that when players or staff left by mutual consent the club paid up the remainder of their contracts but saved on paying the national insurance / income tax.

Why should they be ashamed?   

It's standard practice and a matter of negotiation. 

The players have the choice. They don't need to go anywhere but they're given the choice that would get 25% of their contract and have the ability to sign a new deal. That means if we were paying a reasonably fair value then they should secure a same deal elsewhere meaning they get 125% + potentially a signing on fee.  

I think some on here are getting a bit overdramatic!  

Supporter on here should just put their hands up & day they just don’t like Stubbs, didn’t want him in instead of beating about the bush. It’s actually quite embarrassing not giving him a chance. Support the club or just feck off, simples.

18 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Surely your not serious?

have you any idea how many professional footballers at our level would rip your hand off to get a 25 % plus payout and be able to sign on somewhere else the same day???

no doubt whatever the mutual deal is, it will expire when the window shuts, and re-open in January. But that time the offer will have been lowered accordingly. Unless that is one of those players elects to retire after the window shuts, they then could mibbaes squeeze a wee bit more out of the club.

6 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and I admire your optimism, I just don't share it. I note you do not argue with any of the points I make about our new manager. As for Tony and Gordon, I am sure they are seeing a lot more than we are. Lets hope they can help turn this round.

I also see comparisons. From JR in his early time at the club. Results were poor, morale and crowds were low. He was given time and support and subsequently won the championship.  He then ..as doe AS, TF and Fans thar we needed to rebuild.  JR leaving postponed action. And the new man now faces the job of reviewing the playing staff..done...and recruitment. Time to be patient.

3 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

Some amount a nonsense being talked on here from the usual suspects. Given the candidates, Stubbs was the best possible appointment for St Mirren.

Look at his CV:

Captain of Bolton at 22, England B international, Celtic's record signing, numerous trophies, Champions League experience, played 5 seasons in the English Premiership. Worked for and learned from Bruce Rioch, Tommy Burns, Wim Jansen, Martin O'Neill, Walter Smith, David Moyes and Mick McCarthy, to name a few. He started on the road to management because he was handpicked, at the age of 36, by David Moyes to coach their young players.  Don't forget either that Stubbs was diagnosed with cancer twice; the second time he thought it was gone then they found a tumour at the bottom of his spine during a routine scan. Chemotherapy and an operation followed. His kids were 2 and 4 at the time. He came back from that to play nearly 200 games for Everton. This is a strong and determined character. As for getting the sack from Rotherham, Derek McInnes and Steve Clarke suffered similar fates and are doing okay now...

Who really thinks, if they were a member of our board, that a teacher from Northern Ireland, Jim McIntyre or Gary Caldwell would be better options?

What Stubbs has done so far with us..... obviously his first problem is that he's not Jack Ross and there's nothing he can do about that. The "marquee signings" chat was a mistake. No doubt. I think he was on a wee bit of a high being back in football and after a decent performance against Killie. What's happened with G. Mac and Eck, it doesn't look great from the outside but nobody knows what's happened there (though waiting for billyg to make something up again) Regarding Eck, Stubbs signed him for Hibs so he knew what he was getting with that player. Given Eckersley's age and injury history I think it's safe to say Coulson is a better option. As for signings, they will come.

Call me mad, and I know that a whole 13 days have now passed since his first game in charge, but I remain optimistic we'll be a success under Stubbsy.  

I would argue all day long that McIntyre is a better manager than Stubbs and his record proves it. Stubbs is a bum appointment and we are paying a heavy price already.

Stubbs is a coach not a manager.

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

JR leaving postponed action. And the new man now faces the job of reviewing the playing staff..done...and recruitment. Time to be patient.

Jack Ross had already reviewed the squad for this year and offered players new deals (Reilly and MacKenzie for example), and he had already decided to let players go from last year's squad who he judged were not at premiership level. 

How are we doing with getting two new players in before the game tomorrow?