4 told they can leave

6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I was surprised at the length too (no pun intended) but i'm assuming at least one of the parties wanted assurances of being backed and a showing of commitment. Time will tell Billy with AS i'm not guaranteeing  he'll be great but i don't want to not give the guy a chance to get it right.

it's no good AS agreeing terms for 3 years knowing the budgetary constraints and then making his displeasure with the club obvious when they can't deliver what HE wants in the confines of that budget.  It's like taking a wage knowing you can blame someone else when it doesn't go right.  if i thought he had been turning his attention to making what he does have work better then i'd be right behind him.  Unfortunately, the possibility arises that the board already lack faith in his judgement of existing and new players.  In reply to other posters, if AS says he won't play certain players then unfortunatley GS and TF need to find a way to get them off the payroll and i'd suggest the terms offered are actually all they can find the cash for.  I'm also sure that both parties feel bad about that.

This doesn't help us though, we have already emptied out a very good salary for a first team player in the form of a transfer fee and probably had to pay the same for that players wages, which is big money in terms of our budget.  Her's hoping the kid turns it around andstarts to perform becuase we have precious little quality in the current squad.

i can't help thinking that some of that transfer fee would have satisfied gavin reilly's expectations.  Maybe he really wanted out, but i'm pretty sure that if the boat had to be pushed out then should have pushed it in his direction.

If our board want Stubbs to be a success they need to back him and get players in. It's easy to see the frustration in his interviews over this. 

Seriously ? Remind me how much we paid for Heaton and the length of contracts given to Stubbs “finds”

He has a budget which he was well aware of when he took the job.

29 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I also see comparisons. From JR in his early time at the club. Results were poor, morale and crowds were low. He was given time and support and subsequently won the championship.  He then ..as doe AS, TF and Fans thar we needed to rebuild.  JR leaving postponed action. And the new man now faces the job of reviewing the playing staff..done...and recruitment. Time to be patient.

The difference with JR is that he had to come in mid-season, try to figure out what was best without being able to make signings. When the opportunity came in January he built a good squad and we all the know rest. Stubbs came in, has had the transfer window to build the team he wants, and offload the players he isn't keen on. I would suggest JR was in a more difficult position because he couldn't chop and change much for a couple of months. Hopefully Stubbs will get his plans in place before the window shuts and we start seeing some decent results.

27 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I would argue all day long that McIntyre is a better manager than Stubbs and his record proves it. Stubbs is a bum appointment and we are paying a heavy price already.

Stubbs is a coach not a manager.

One of the things that bothered me was the inability to get Hibs promoted in two attempts. Robbie Neilson did it first time with Hearts, easily finishing above both Rangers and Hibs and with a fairly young squad too. Neilson then continued the good work in the SPL. Stubbs will forever be a Hibs legend for ending the Scottish Cup drought, but it shouldn't have taken 3 years for them to gain promotion. Both struggled in England, although I would say Rotherham was always going to be a very tough task and not many managers would have kept them up.

7 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The difference with JR is that he had to come in mid-season, try to figure out what was best without being able to make signings. When the opportunity came in January he built a good squad and we all the know rest. Stubbs came in, has had the transfer window to build the team he wants, and offload the players he isn't keen on. I would suggest JR was in a more difficult position because he couldn't chop and change much for a couple of months. Hopefully Stubbs will get his plans in place before the window shuts and we start seeing some decent results.

One of the things that bothered me was the inability to get Hibs promoted in two attempts. Robbie Neilson did it first time with Hearts, easily finishing above both Rangers and Hibs and with a fairly young squad too. Neilson then continued the good work in the SPL. Stubbs will forever be a Hibs legend for ending the Scottish Cup drought, but it shouldn't have taken 3 years for them to gain promotion. Both struggled in England, although I would say Rotherham was always going to be a very tough task and not many managers would have kept them up.

Totally agree on the Hibs point. His league performance was woeful.

On Rotherham you have to ask why he took it ?. My take on it is that the Hibs board were by far and away more interested in getting back to Premiership than winning any cup. Fans impressed by cup run but board focused on league. With United going down I reckon he cut and ran before a sacking in new season. I always felt he would move that close season to whatever came along. Why would anyone move from Hibs to Rotherham. Rotherham were way above their level in Championship. 

Edited by lenziebud

15 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

On Rotherham you have to ask why he took it ?. My take on it is that the Hibs board were by far and away more interested in getting back to Premiership than winning any cup. Fans impressed by cup run but board focused on league. With United going down I reckon he cut and ran before a sacking in new season. I always felt he would move that close season to whatever came along. Why would anyone move from Hibs to Rotherham. Rotherham were way above their level in Championship. 

His performance at Hibs clearly was not woeful FFS. He finished above Rangers in one of those seasons.

By all means criticise where justified but this is sounding like a personal vendetta.

Woeful?? in they 2 years at no point were they favourites to win the championship with rangers and hearts in the league that’s hard enough as it is without them. In the 2nd year they should of went up through the play offs but late goals in the 2 games for Falkirk in the play off killed it for them.

He has a better win ratio at hibs than Lennon does.

I’m pretty sure the board was just as delighted as the fans for winning their 1st Scottish cup in 114 years with a championship team!

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

His performance at Hibs clearly was not woeful FFS. He finished above Rangers in one of those seasons.

By all means criticise where justified but this is sounding like a personal vendetta.

The worst Rangers side in history in complete meltdown under McCoist, hardly what you would call Rangers !. He 100% should have had Hibs promoted that season. Neil Lennon would have all day long

Its not a personal vendetta at all. I actually like Alan Stubbs as a person and also think he is an excellant coach but he is not a manager and I think that will play out.

5 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

As a player and coach. Jack was fairly inexperienced as a manager when he came to us. Why keep bringing up Rotherham? Did Hibs fans bring up Bolton when Lennon was appointed? Did Aberdeen fans bring up Bristol City when McInnes was appointed. Everyone deserves another chance and AS will be judged by what he achieves during his time as manager of St Mirren FC. As for Hamilton, let's just wait and see how they do. They have also had some crap results in the LC. BTW, Ross County - tipped by many to win the league had a night to forget against lower opposition last night. Early days and it's still July.

Tommy Craig's record at Charleroi was rightly brought up by St Mirren fans when he got the job. Given that Stubbs' record at Rotherham was worse than that, it's perfectly reasonable to question it.

Edited by Thorizaar

7 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Woeful?? in they 2 years at no point were they favourites to win the championship with rangers and hearts in the league that’s hard enough as it is without them. In the 2nd year they should of went up through the play offs but late goals in the 2 games for Falkirk in the play off killed it for them.

He has a better win ratio at hibs than Lennon does.

I’m pretty sure the board was just as delighted as the fans for winning their 1st Scottish cup in 114 years with a championship team!

Alan Stubbs or Robbie Nielson couldn't lace Neil Lennon's boots as a manger. Lennon would have had Hibs up the first season !

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

I would argue all day long that McIntyre is a better manager than Stubbs and his record proves it. Stubbs is a bum appointment and we are paying a heavy price already.

Ok I will take the bait. Explain what this 'heavy price's has been? We are in July with new players getting fit and and early results in the LC haven't gone our way and squad is incomplete. Add in the loss of 4 key players and a new manager who has his own ideas on what we need to compete and I ask again, what is this heavy price you refer to. AS has had 3 competitive games and some want him sacked. It beggars belief.  Am I happy with results? Nope. Am I prepared to give the man more time? Yes.

18 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Alan Stubbs or Robbie Nielson couldn't lace Neil Lennon's boots as a manger. Lennon would have had Hibs up the first season !

Was that before or after being manager at both Celtic and Bolton.

21 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

Tommy Craig's record at Charleroi was rightly brought up by St Mirren fans when he got the job. Given that Stubbs' record at Rotherham was worse than that, it's perfectly reasonable to question it.

Missed my point entirely. A lot of managers fail at one club but succeed at others. Tommy Craig was a shambolic decision by the old board.  Lennon flopped at Bolton but has succeeded at Hibs (forget Celtic as a blind cat could succeed with the purse they had), McInnes bombed at Bristol City but has succeeded at Sheep.  There is no guarantee that any manager selection will succeed - particularly at a provincial club such as ours with budget constraints and low wages.  Time will tell if AS is a good manager or not and let's not forget Jackson and Rice's role in supporting him. Finally, I also think some of the criticism arising from Spartans and QP games should be levied at the players who irrespective of match fitness should be good enough to win those games.  

22 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Lennon had a budget way above all other teams and he was always going to succeed in the domestic set up.  When Hibs won the Championship they had a budget that no other club could compete with that allowed him to bring in premiership quality players.  I think he has a good eye for a player but has succeeded when a budget is available. 

5 hours ago, JJ McG said:

More than 1 or 2.

Kyle not one one of them then?

Here's what he said today:  "I think it was always going to be tough but the manager has come in and he has been brilliant. He has got a good team spirit going, training has been good, so I don’t see why we can’t go and do well like last year."

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2026-kyle-magennis

Kyle not one one of them then?
Here's what he said today:  "I think it was always going to be tough but the manager has come in and he has been brilliant. He has got a good team spirit going, training has been good, so I don’t see why we can’t go and do well like last year."
https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2026-kyle-magennis

What do you expect him to say ? The manager’s a wahoo ?

23 minutes ago, billyg said:

What do you expect him to say ? The manager’s a wahoo ?

To be fair, he could simply have mentioned that the team needed to do better, without any reference to the manager, atmosphere etc. at all.

The fact that he's mentioned would indicate to most that he's quite happy.

You’re a bum supporter, 4 games so far. Give the guy a break.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

The worst Rangers side in history in complete meltdown under McCoist, hardly what you would call Rangers !. He 100% should have had Hibs promoted that season. Neil Lennon would have all day long

Its not a personal vendetta at all. I actually like Alan Stubbs as a person and also think he is an excellant coach but he is not a manager and I think that will play out.

That was nowhere near the worst Rangers side in history and anyway the worst Rangers sides are usually more than good enough to whip the arses off any other team except Celtic. It comes with having a budget more than 10 times their nearest rivals and being able to buy better players as a result.

How many times have Hibs EVER finished higher than Rangers?

You are downplaying a magnificent achievement because you are running a personal agenda.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hope someone is keeping Billyg away from sharp tools. :lol:

f**king hell. How can anyone crumble so quickly under the slightest pressure? :blink:

Talking of tools ......................................................................................

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That was nowhere near the worst Rangers side in history and anyway the worst Rangers sides are usually more than good enough to whip the arses off any other team except Celtic. It comes with having a budget more than 10 times their nearest rivals and being able to buy better players as a result.

How many times have Hibs EVER finished higher than Rangers?

You are downplaying a magnificent achievement because you are running a personal agenda.

WTF are you on, I have no personal agenda against Alan Stubbs whatsoever. I want him to prove me 100% wrong and very much hope he does. So far he hasn't and I don't think he will. More than willing to give him time and he very much needs it. I realise the task of taking over from Ross and the reshaping of the team. I just don't think he is the man to do it.

19 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

WTF are you on, I have no personal agenda against Alan Stubbs whatsoever. I want him to prove me 100% wrong and very much hope he does. So far he hasn't and I don't think he will. More than willing to give him time and he very much needs it. I realise the task of taking over from Ross and the reshaping of the team. I just don't think he is the man to do it.

Aye, not too sure about a personal agenda but you do love to scrape about for any negative you can find against Stubbs.

You're not alone.

Still find some of the posts way over the top but seen it all before.

Edited by faraway saint