Jump to content

Stockholmbud

4 told they can leave

Recommended Posts

Can't say I rated Neil Lennon as a manager until last season. The treble was there for the taking with Celtic and he couldn't manage it with Sevco fannying about in the lower leagues (we can take credit for ruining one of those trebles). Same goes for Deila, treble should have been a piece of piss.

Bolton was a tough ask (like Stubbs at Rotherham), and Lennon was shite there. Getting Hibs promoted was no surprise, what impressed me was how quickly they found themselves back up the top end of the SPL table and pushing Aberdeen and Sevco close. I know Hibs are a Top 5 budget side, but the transition from Championship to Premiership was excellent. I do think Lennon is overhyped, Hibs is the first club he seems to be achieving better than expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Can't say I rated Neil Lennon as a manager until last season. The treble was there for the taking with Celtic and he couldn't manage it with Sevco fannying about in the lower leagues (we can take credit for ruining one of those trebles). Same goes for Deila, treble should have been a piece of piss.

Bolton was a tough ask (like Stubbs at Rotherham), and Lennon was shite there. Getting Hibs promoted was no surprise, what impressed me was how quickly they found themselves back up the top end of the SPL table and pushing Aberdeen and Sevco close. I know Hibs are a Top 5 budget side, but the transition from Championship to Premiership was excellent. I do think Lennon is overhyped, Hibs is the first club he seems to be achieving better than expected. 

As Bolton demonstrated with us, they are still a club in crisis. Lennon had no chance, he also got Tic to  CL last 16 twice , guy is good manager and I would happily have him as ours 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil Lennon. Created history by becoming the first Celtic manager to get his side knocked out of Europe 3 times in the one season.

Part of Celtic’s business model of exploiting sectarianism and hatred to gain success on the pitch.


While I agree with that assessment you cannot deny the job he has done with Hibs. Ask Sevco fans, as Hibs helped secure Aberdeen 2nd place last season. He has given Hibs the same feeling Fergie gave Aberdeen when playing the bigots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

 

 


While I agree with that assessment you cannot deny the job he has done with an extremely sizeable budget with Hibs. Ask Sevco fans, as Hibs helped secure Aberdeen 2nd place last season. He has given Hibs the same feeling Fergie gave Aberdeen when playing the bigots.

 

FIFY.

He has done a good job though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Stubbs can be applauded for the side he put together, the style of football at Hibs, winning the Scottish Cup in his second season and having a few other cup runs as well.  Can you imagine the kind of budget he had with Mark Oxley in goals, the following defenders to choose from David Gray, Paul Hanlon, Liam Fontaine, Keith Watson, Lewis Stevenson, Darren McGregor, Callum Booth and Marvin Bartley. Midfield options included Scott Robertson, Liam Craig, Frazer Fyvie, Scott Allan, Dylan McGeoch, Sam Stanton, Liam Henderson, John McGinn and Kevin Thomson. Upfront a selection from Jason Cummings, Dominique Malonga, Martin Boyle, Farid El Alagui, Islam Feruz, Anthony Stokes and James Keatings. Two seasons in a row, with that type of squad he failed to make the promotion play off final. But hey, he won more games than he lost.

I see this mentioned time and again but it's a bit lazy to be honest as it completely misses the context of the other side of the story - that being the competition he was up against. 

Season 1 - they were up against a Hearts team that had an equally impressive squad, presumably budget, and really got their house in order after relegation. Also a Rangers team who had a far bigger budget - albeit they were in a mess. 

Season 2 - Rangers starting to get their house in order and still a much bigger budget than Hibs. 

 

We can look enviously at the squad he assembled and think of it as an embarrassment of riches but truth is, they were never favourites for the title. I'd accept that they should have got to the play-off final in Season 2 but I can imagine they took their eye off the ball with the prospect of the Cup Final. We only have to look at our own club for how performances skewed due to the build-up/hangover of a Cup Final. 

 

 

Edited by Maboza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Maboza said:

I see this mentioned time and again but it's a bit lazy to be honest as it completely misses the context of the other side of the story - that being the competition he was up against. 

Season 1 - they were up against a Hearts team that had an equally impressive squad, presumably budget, and really got their house in order after relegation. Also a Rangers team who had a far bigger budget - albeit they were in a mess. 

Season 2 - Rangers starting to get their house in order and still a much bigger budget than Hibs. 

 

We can look enviously at the squad he assembled and think of it as an embarrassment of riches but truth is, they were never favourites for the title. I'd accept that they should have got to the play-off final in Season 2 but I can imagine they took their eye off the ball with the prospect of the Cup Final. We only have to look at our own club for how performances skewed due to the build-up/hangover of a Cup Final. 

 

The thing is, Hearts were a massive 21pts clear of Hibs that season. That's not an acceptable gap, they should have been much closer to each other. As you mention, the second season should have been playoff success.

Never understood the "eye off the ball" regarding cup runs. Surely with a final at stake, each player would be doing his absolute best to stake his place in the starting XI come final day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The thing is, Hearts were a massive 21pts clear of Hibs that season. That's not an acceptable gap, they should have been much closer to each other. As you mention, the second season should have been playoff success.

Never understood the "eye off the ball" regarding cup runs. Surely with a final at stake, each player would be doing his absolute best to stake his place in the starting XI come final day?

I think it was more a "ran out of steam" than anything else....i'm sure I read somewhere that they played two games a week, every week, from March

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully expected Hibs to compete for the title when they relegated, as would anyone really.  They made a terrible start to the season that suggested they were looking to be relegated again.  Most Hibs fans I have seen offer an opinion on Stubbs say they are certain he would have been fired but for the cup run & at times things were brutal.

On paper his record is awful.  It is a terrible decision by the board, but I will be praying that he finds his feet with us and things start to improve quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not like Stubbs was the only guy who applied for the job, there was reportedly a few and the BOD felt he was the right guy( the same BOD hired Jack) , the length of the contract was a surprise , but have to trust the choice they have made  because so far they have done ok.IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I fully expected Hibs to compete for the title when they relegated, as would anyone really.  They made a terrible start to the season that suggested they were looking to be relegated again.  Most Hibs fans I have seen offer an opinion on Stubbs say they are certain he would have been fired but for the cup run & at times things were brutal.
On paper his record is awful.  It is a terrible decision by the board, but I will be praying that he finds his feet with us and things start to improve quickly!

They might of been promoted too if it wasn’t for the cup run.

On paper he has a better win ratio than Neil Lennon at hibs and is not the first manager to do well up here but do poor when they get a move down south.

Mcinnes and Lennon to name a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Complete nonsense.

Aye because more games don’t make you more tired complete nonsense.

 

But you know what the hibs board would of done

 

I think it’s a lot harder to win the Scottish cup with a championship team than it is to win the play offs or is that complete nonsense aswell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buddies1877 said:


They might of been promoted too if it wasn’t for the cup run.

On paper he has a better win ratio than Neil Lennon at hibs and is not the first manager to do well up here but do poor when they get a move down south.

Mcinnes and Lennon to name a few

You really are comparing Stubbs win record with Hibs in the Championship where they were up against Hearts and Rangers for sure, but also a rank rotten St Mirren and weak Championships sides like Alloa, Livingston (on the way to relegation to league 1), Dumbarton etc and Lennon's Hibs up against Hearts and er, a much better Rangers plus Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone etc in the premiership. What a man! 

PS Lennon's starting XI with Hibs last season was not a million miles away from Stubbs'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You really are comparing Stubbs win record with Hibs in the Championship where they were up against Hearts and Rangers for sure, but also a rank rotten St Mirren and weak Championships sides like Alloa, Livingston (on the way to relegation to league 1), Dumbarton etc and Lennon's Hibs up against Hearts and er, a much better Rangers plus Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone etc in the premiership. What a man! 

PS Lennon's starting XI with Hibs last season was not a million miles away from Stubbs'

Lennon managed hibs in the championship also with no hearts or rangers.

 

The only year they were favourites to win the league

 

Also did we not manage more points than hibs did with Lennon when they won the league or was very close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:


Lennon managed hibs in the championship also with no hearts or rangers.

by then he had to deal with a resurgent St Mirren, and a stodgy Dundee United (for 2/3 of the season).

The point I would make about Stubbs at Hibs is if you look beyond the main headline about winning the first Scottish Cup in aeons and doing that as a Championship club his two years there have lots of positives and negatives - Lennon has a bigger budget and has added a few expensive signings but finished 4th in the premiership with a team based on Stubbs squad who never reached a play off final despite the strength of squad at his disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...