St. Mirren Park.

9 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Not a bad wee team at all.

Love Street was for me a place where I introduced my son's and their friends to football and supporting the notion of one town one team...without the slogan.

Great days and evenings over many years but time marches on. It wasn't our first ground. I like the new place. I like the view of the pitch. I like the parking permit and 1877 club. I like the guys in W7 doing their stuff and I like the history we are now building for the present and coming generations as a community club. 

Can relate to all of this. Not a bad wee team at all....and there is more to come, I'm sure.

12 hours ago, DougJamie said:

We didnt have the corners filled at Love Street. Just more densisty in the covered terracing. Many memories but dont miss the place we left. Miss the 10- 17000 crowds in the late 70s. I miss that noise...

Don't know about you, but when I first started goin tae Love Street there wurnae any corners! :P

Love Street was undoubtedly a bit of a mishmash stadium with 4 different stands but it was ours. The atmosphere changed with the introduction of all seated stadia. The new ground is a purpose built ground with four reasonable stands. Again the all seated arena doesn't help the atmosphere but it is what it is. I am getting used to this being our home and, though I couldn't make it, it sounded on TV like the West bank was rocking. All bodes well if we can continue to progress. As someone has already mooted, Those who were too young to appreciate the old ground have nothing to compare so the new Saint Mirren Park will be the only one they know. It's up to us to make sure it's a ground they will be telling their kids is the best ever.

22 hours ago, DLBud said:

For a lot of posters Love Street was where we grew up watching Saints.

Being lifted over the turnstiles by my Grampa, seeking out the guy with the macaroons, European nights under the lights and standing up to my ankles in piss in the toilets all played a part in that.

My daughter is 11 and she only knows watching us here so this is where her memories will be borne and she’s had a few crackers so far.

That’s what fitba’ is about to me. Generation to generation. The stadium plays a part in that for sure but there are a whole raft of things that will make this place special for the current generation.

Took my 6 and 4 year old girls to their first ever game in W2 on Saturday. Elder one initially didn't want to go,  but at the full time whistle asked 'when's the next game ?'  Brought a tear to my glass eye.  And my mother was there too. Last saw Saints about 50 years ago !  She was cheering with the best of them.  Rugby-loving kiwi wife is even starting to get it.   COYS !

• 2 weeks later...

Nostalgia is a very powerful force. You remember the good times and put the bad times out your mind. The way people bang on about Love St you’d think it was some kind of footballing Mecca.

If was a nice old stadium but it simply wasn’t fit for purpose. I remember several games were the attendance was under 2000 and there was no atmosphere at all due to the size of the place. The North Bank was uncovered at both sides and acted like a wind tunnel in a gale and you got rained on when you were having a piss. The main stand would be best described as a fire hazard.

Our current stadium fits our needs far better. It’s modern, it’s smaller and as a result the atmosphere can be better (depending what’s happening on the pitch). Of course there will always be the old guard who say it was much better back in the good old days. There always is. I’m sure the Old Da’s said that back in the 1900’s about Westmarch when we first moved to Love St.

We now have a generation of fans who have no memory of Love St. Their fond early footballing memories are being made at the new stadium and as such that’s where their attachment will be.

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. As an old fart I can’t imagine loving the “new” place. Entering through a vomitary has nothing on climbing the slope up to the North Bank.
Midweek games crammed against thousands of buds trying to identify players under the dimmest of floodlights are some of my strongest memories of the 60s/70s.
Still I appreciate many new fans (as in younger) have an affectation towards our Lego land stadium and fair play to them.
I’m sure I’m not the only fan who still says I’m going to “Love Street” on Saturday.

The ramp, the Northbank, Midweek games under floodlights, al fresco toilets, the ‘tablet & macaroon’ guy, European football, George Best , Top European footballers gracing our pitch, Drawing 1-1 with a stunning Liverpool team in our centenary year ( losing on penalties ) , Laughter & Tears of H..... moving on , the noise in the Northbank , the magical walk up & down Love St when leaving it always looked massive crowd walking down the ramp and looking beyond, McGarvey,McAvennie,Abercromby,Richardson,Beckett,Weir,Scanlon,Torfason,Strickroth,Stark,Reid,I could go on and on .,...

Aye you’re right Topcat , it was pish eh ?

I'd go back to Love Street in a heartbeat. Still remember the last look back as I turned the corner from the Northbank to go down the slope with my daughter, who was 8 at the time. She didn't want to leave, and neither did I.

That's not nostalgia, that's the reality of people's feelings at the time, and for me - despite warming to the new place - they haven't changed.

Edited by Soctty

The ramp, the Northbank, Midweek games under floodlights, al fresco toilets, the ‘tablet & macaroon’ guy, European football, George Best , Top European footballers gracing our pitch, Drawing 1-1 with a stunning Liverpool team in our centenary year ( losing on penalties ) , Laughter & Tears of H..... moving on , the noise in the Northbank , the magical walk up & down Love St when leaving it always looked massive crowd walking down the ramp and looking beyond, McGarvey,McAvennie,Abercromby,Richardson,Beckett,Weir,Scanlon,Torfason,Strickroth,Stark,Reid,I could go on and on .,...

Aye you’re right Topcat , it was pish eh ?

That’s boiler plate nostalgia right there. You’ve listed the good times - which there were many - and then forgot about all the bad ones.

There were, of course, many pish times and teams at Love St. I’m sure we all remember Bone must go and home losses to Stirling Albion and Clydebank in front of about 1500 fans. I remember Airdrie beating us 5-1 there then a few months later fecking Morton beating us 5-1 there too[emoji28]. There were good times and bad times, just like at our new stadium.

Like nearly all old things in football it gets romanticised. Not just St Mirren fans that do this of course. Fans of every club in modern, purpose built new stadia yearn for the old and run down place.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

That’s boiler plate nostalgia right there. You’ve listed the good times - which there were many - and then forgot about all the bad ones.

There were, of course, many pish times and teams at Love St. I’m sure we all remember Bone must go and home losses to Stirling Albion and Clydebank in front of about 1500 fans. I remember Airdrie beating us 5-1 there then a few months later fecking Morton beating us 5-1 there tooemoji28.png. There were good times and bad times, just like at our new stadium.

Like nearly all old things in football it gets romanticised. Not just St Mirren fans that do this of course. Fans of every club in modern, purpose built new stadia yearn for the old and run down place.

It's about the feeling of being there, feeling at home in the surroundings, loving the rammed together nature of the ground, not the good and bad memories. 

You're confusing that with the week to week emotions and stresses of following a football team, which is the same now as it was at Love Street. The surroundings still don't compare for me, the new place doesn't have the character, but for younger fans you are right that it won't be the same. The new place has improved in its look in recent years, being personalised with paint and banners and being made into a home, but the old place will always hold a much dearer place in the heart of the vast majority who made the pilgrimage every second Saturday to experience the place.

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. As an old fart I can’t imagine loving the “new” place. Entering through a vomitary has nothing on climbing the slope up to the North Bank.
Midweek games crammed against thousands of buds trying to identify players under the dimmest of floodlights are some of my strongest memories of the 60s/70s.
Still I appreciate many new fans (as in younger) have an affectation towards our Lego land stadium and fair play to them.
I’m sure I’m not the only fan who still says I’m going to “Love Street” on Saturday.
Agree with all of this. I loved the old place. Walking up the slope to the North Bank was f**king brilliant and I didn't mind getting soaked from above when I used the toilet. I always felt that the troughs could've done with a wee bit of Jif tho [emoji3] Remember they were always coated with a kind of green algae?

Guest TPAFKATS
Was in the Main Stand today, on one of the padded seats no less.
This is what one of them looks like at the back.
Would it have been much more expensive to have used stainless steel or galvanised screws?

20180820_143204.thumb.jpeg.cb047e7fb07876c92bf0d254ba16a2ba.jpeg

They may well be galvanised. They just take longer to rust [emoji6]

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, Soctty said:

I'd go back to Love Street in a heartbeat. Still remember the last look back as I turned the corner from the Northbank to go down the slope with my daughter, who was 8 at the time. She didn't want to leave, and neither did I.

That's not nostalgia, that's the reality of people's feelings at the time, and for me - despite warming to the new place - they haven't changed.

Don't think the folk that will be moving in would be happy. :rolleyes:

On 8/6/2018 at 9:44 PM, whydowebother said:

Love Street for me is the part of history I enjoy most when considering me following St Mirren.

In this Millennium, we’ve enjoyed success albeit limited ( in some people’s opinion ) but this list, many other teams would love to of had.

99/00 Championship winners

05/06 Championship winners

05/06 Challenge Cup winners

2010 League Cup runners up

2013 League Cup winners

2016/17 Challenge Cup runners up

2016/17 Championship winners

Not a bad ‘wee team’ are we ? emoji4.png

EDIT: 2017/18 Championship winners. :wink:

My first game was 1967 sure Love Street was great. For me we move on I like the new stadium. There is a fantastic fans bar. Great parking even around the stadium, My preferred travel train right to the door of the stadium. My seat in the stadium with perfect views. The only criticism I have is the length of the roofs in the stands they are far too short which you know about when it's raining my seat is only a few rows from the back row and you can still get wet. 

On 8/20/2018 at 10:35 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Was in the Main Stand today, on one of the padded seats no less.

This is what one of them looks like at the back.

Would it have been much more expensive to have used stainless steel or galvanised screws?

20180820_143204.thumb.jpeg.cb047e7fb07876c92bf0d254ba16a2ba.jpeg

EAB I respect you greatly as one of the most worthy posters on this fine forum of ours, but this has to go down as the worst complaint ever. :D

16 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

My first game was 1967 sure Love Street was great. For me we move on I like the new stadium. There is a fantastic fans bar. Great parking even around the stadium, My preferred travel train right to the door of the stadium. My seat in the stadium with perfect views. The only criticism I have is the length of the roofs in the stands they are far too short which you know about when it's raining my seat is only a few rows from the back row and you can still get wet. 

Seats are too wee as well. Should be wider.

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

EAB I respect you greatly as one of the most worthy posters on this fine forum of ours, but this has to go down as the worst complaint ever. :D

It was a game we were winning 5-0 and even more critically, Heaton, King and Cooke were all playing well.

I had to find something. :rolleyes:

My only regret is that my first visits to Love Street are ones that I don’t really remember. My Dad was a ***, but in fairness to him he took me along to Love Street as he clearly thought it was important that I supported my home town team. That was in the old second division days and I just remember it being cold and dreary and uninteresting. I was too young though. 

I truly became a St. Mirren fan in January 1977 when my two uncles took me and my cousins to the cup game against Dundee Utd. That was the day I fell in love with both St. Mirren and Love St.

Most memorable games for me at Love St off the top off my head....

St. Mirren 4 Dundee Utd 1 1977

St. Mirren 3 Dumbarton 2  1977 (my first ever night game)

St. Mirren 3 Clydebank 1 1977

St. Mirren 3 Rangers 3 1977

St. Mirren 3 Celtic 1977

St. Mirren 2 Dundee Utd 1 !978/79ish

St. Mirren 2 Celtic 3 1980 cup game (devastated)

All the Anglo Scottish Cup nights

All the European nights.

And many many more leading up to my final best memory before moving to Jersey...

St. Mirren 6 Hearts 2 1985