Hayden Coulson - Confirmed

I'm not sure why returning a loan player who has largely been out of his depth is bizarre.
Must be a different definition of the word from mine.
Or..................................

That in itself is not bizarre.

It’s the timing. We are in October, the window is shut for the next two and a half months and in that time there’s a lot of football to be played.

We don’t have a big squad as it is, yet we are deliberately making it smaller. On the bench every week we have kids with almost no experience in senior football. A couple more injuries and they will have to be starting games, cause we have no one else.

Surely the sensible thing to do is keep them till January and then end the loan and replace them. That’s what we’ve done in seasons gone by.

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

It’s the timing. We are in October, the window is shut for the next two and a half months and in that time there’s a lot of football to be played.

We don’t have a big squad as it is, yet we are deliberately making it smaller. On the bench every week we have kids with almost no experience in senior football. A couple more injuries and they will have to be starting games, cause we have no one else.

Surely the sensible thing to do is keep them till January and then end the loan and replace them. That’s what we’ve done in seasons gone by.

Much to be said on both sides but I go for supporting OK in clearing the decks in advance of January.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I must have missed that, what did his dad say?

Was it Stubbs or OK getting it in the neck?

Just sour grapes about his boy not getting picked, mostly towards OK. On the clubs Facebook page, he got pelters right enough. 

Also a few comments before a game a few weeks ago (possibly Hamilton) about none of the English boys starting. 

Toys right out the pram.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

What ? Like Hayden Coulson you mean ? 

Good luck to the lad , I’m sure one day he will turn out to be a decent footballer but at the moment we can’t be bringing on other clubs youngsters unless they are really special , and he was not . Good going forward ,Poor defender, poor work ethic.

Decent player with a decent future but a helluva lot to learn.

i wish the young man well but wrong player , wrong club , wrong time . Move on. 

Right decision as it's the waste of a wage having players who won't feature. Best to let them go and save the wages for January signings. And having a 29 man squad is too many anyway.

I’m hoping we didn’t have to pay the wages upfront to send him back.

I’m not so sure the likes of Birmingham would have been happy to take madsen back and pay his full wage when he’s got no chance of featuring for them.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

We had around 29 players in the squad, up until the last couple of days. That's pretty sizeable for a club of our stature.

Unfortunately a fair number of them have proved to be not up to the task.

I’m hoping we didn’t have to pay the wages upfront to send him back.

I’m not so sure the likes of Birmingham would have been happy to take madsen back and pay his full wage when he’s got no chance of featuring for them.

Birmingham have managed to offset the cost of him returning by getting him a job at McDonalds . #foundhislevel

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Just the 27 now after this week's departures , bloated was how I would have described it !!!

About the same level footballwise as Stelios, nowhere near the personality, if he stayed in Scotland I'd guess mid table championship player. The killie Cup game was his first game for us but also his highlight. Wish him the best, but Connor Newton was great for us and his career went a bit downhill since, I'm afraid Coulson's may be worse.

12 hours ago, TopCat said:

Small squad?

We have (or had) 29 players. All of them eating up a wage.

Getting rid of them now allows OK to know exactly how much he can spend in January.

12 hours ago, TopCat said:

Not really. Maybe there is a left back in our under 19’s that’s a better prospect, or can offer more than Coulson? Maybe the injury against Hamilton will keep him out for too long, and the intention was to send him back in January anyway.

Who knows. But it’s pretty clear that nobody is shedding a tear about him going.

Absolutely no point carrying a player who wasn’t going to play. If we’ve saved a few quid then all the better.

The termination of loan deals early won’t please the parent clubs but it’s going to be getting rid of the 2 year duds like King, Kpekawa and Cooke that is going to be the real problem.

Weve also invested £75K in a player who looks very unlikely to generate any sort of return on that.

When all said and done I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole Stubbs debacle ends up costing the club north of £300K to fix and clean up.

Absolutely horrific.

Agreement wasn't working for either club involved so the decision to let him go makes sense. Boro wanted him to gain experience at left back but he proved himself to be rotten at defending. Decent going forward but we definitely have a better option now in Hammill

Edited by Doakes