Stubbsy Says...........Goodbye

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I would prefer to hear "We know we need to get better..." rather than "The players know..." as if it's nothing to do with him. That said he does come across as pretty frustrated in that interview.

... almost like Alex Rae after Hamilton defeat in the group stages of league cup 2 seasons ago!

3 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

Seems like the three trialists weren’t up to much going by Stubbs response to oor Jimbo.
Can anyone shed any light on,

1. Who they were.
2. How bad were they.

Trialist A. Amine Limganzi. 28 year old midfielder, previously at Swindon Town. 4 caps for Congo. 

Trialist B. Martin Patterson, formerly of Burnley. 31 year old with quite a few caps for NI. 

Trialist C. Adil Nabi. Formerly of West Brom and Peterborough. 

All three were pish. Patterson the least so but still nowhere near good enough. Trialists do create a bit of a buzz but I dread seeing them. The general rule I now believe is that there is so much footage and info out there these days that if you need to be proving yourself at our level with a trial.... Probably not going to be good enough. 

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

I was not overly impressed by tonight's interview or his trialists. Here's hoping things can only get better... otherwise l fear more misery

He's gone from saying we should have 1 or 2 marquee signings and a few others in the next week or so, to playing 3 trialists today and then admitting they weren't up to it, to saying after the game he was hopeful we might have some other signings before the league season starts in 2 weeks time. He didn't even say we have been working hard behind the scenes and are close to getting some deals over the line.

Just over a week ago folks were believing we might be a good shout for a top 6 place.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

18 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

This and I have said from the start that I fear for us with Stubbs.

Spot on, He did get out of his seat twice though, half time and full time. He had a great team at Hibs and bombed at Rotherham, looks like he'll bommb here too. I'm assuming he never saw those triallists in training, but if he did it's going to be a nightmare season if that's the standard we're considering. 2 strikers required.

6 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Spot on, He did get out of his seat twice though, half time and full time. He had a great team at Hibs and bombed at Rotherham, looks like he'll bommb here too. I'm assuming he never saw those triallists in training, but if he did it's going to be a nightmare season if that's the standard we're considering. 2 strikers required.

Gordon Scott would appear to have made a few rookie mistakes here, perhaps allowing the excitement of promotion and interviewing a relatively big name former Celtic player to go to his head.  Regardless of how good/bad  a manager Stubbs is we should not be giving out three year contracts straight off the bat.  I'd assume he is on around 120k per year so this is going to be a very costly mistake to fix if it goes on like this. 

We also should not be handing over a 75k transfer fee to an untested guy from non-league football in England.  I'm sure there is some potential in there but from what we saw the other night he isn't at the stage of being able to either defend or pass the ball properly.  We have given two or three year deals to several of these new players and at the moment it looks like we are going to need to get the John McGinn windfall just to get rid of them.

Where I am holding out hope is in the fact that Jim Kellerman was a Jack Ross signing.  It could well be the case after some time for readjustment these guys come good.

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

After reading our fans match report then having a listen to Stubbsy  have to admit im starting to feel worried . Are we relying on other clubs for our new signings ?

From the expression on his face he has no idea where the next signings are going to come from.

48 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Never even made the Championship play off final ?. He's junk.

Worrying interview. He seemed lost. It’s never an easy interview when a manger’s team has been hammered(even in a friendly), but he could have taken more responsibility; although it seems a small thing, I totally agree that he should be using ‘we’ when discussing the team. How many times did he stumble out, “You know...”? He didn’t reassure me in any way.
Exciting new recruits seem less likely now too. Communication skills are a massive part of football management, to connect with players, supporters and the media. Maybe we have just been spoiled and grown accustomed to smooth talking Jack, but even oor Danny, who wasn’t the best talker gave an impression of connection with the players and the support. I’m getting a wee bit nervous about Stubbs, but it is still early days and I was feeling really positive after the Killie game, even although they were missing some players. He also admitted that his 3 trialists were not good enough. The fact he’s on a 3 year contract is a worry too, but hopefully he’ll start to find his feet quickly, along with his new players and he is able to land a few good players soon. Unfortunately just over a week is a long time in football, but that might mean we are in a more positive place next week. Fingers crossed.

Looking at their records makes you wonder why Stubbs did think the trialists were worth a go. FFS Nabi is 24 and has only ever played 25 games. We now appear to be scraping the barrel for players which is really concerning. Even if Celtic do decide to loan out Mikey Johnstone is there any guarantee we will get him?

Trialist A. Amine Limganzi. 28 year old midfielder, previously at Swindon Town. 4 caps for Congo. 
Trialist B. Martin Patterson, formerly of Burnley. 31 year old with quite a few caps for NI. 
Trialist C. Adil Nabi. Formerly of West Brom and Peterborough. 
All three were pish. Patterson the least so but still nowhere near good enough. Trialists do create a bit of a buzz but I dread seeing them. The general rule I now believe is that there is so much footage and info out there these days that if you need to be proving yourself at our level with a trial.... Probably not going to be good enough. 

Thanks chap.

Here we go all doom & gloom, he’s not got the same personality as Ross & why should he. Do we really think last seasons team would be good enough for the SPL? I don’t, we got bullied from the likes of Livingston we were needing changes. We’re not exactly rolling in money to buy players so he’s brought in who he thought & hopefully will step up to the mark plus lost a couple who probably gave most to help us over the line last season.Ross also signed duffers too. At least wait till the season starts then cast judgment. I will. Let’s all get behind him his staff & players we all need each other. Just my opinion.

Last season's team and formation would give me more hope than the team and formation I am currently watching. Yes the squad needed strengthening not weakening and weakened it clearly is to anyone who has been watching.

27 minutes ago, ged62 said:

. At least wait till the season starts then cast judgment. I will. Let’s all get behind him his staff & players we all need each other. Just my opinion.

The season has already started.  We might have missed out on a place in the next round of the League Cup by failing to beat Spartans.  It is one of only two major trophies we have a chance of winning, it would be nice if we had actually played some pre season friendlies before the season started in my opinion!  We had the league wrapped up by April, we should be ready by the middle of July whether the manager has changed or not.

If so many people on here are putting so much emphasis on their judgement of a friendly match,then they should really get a grip ffs!

The squad is still being assembled, league hasn’t started and yet people being over dramatic as to how they envisage our upcoming league season.

Already calling into question the team & management ? Only on here would you expect that I suppose.