Stubbsy Says...........Goodbye

The season has already started.  We might have missed out on a place in the next round of the League Cup by failing to beat Spartans.  It is one of only two major trophies we have a chance of winning, it would be nice if we had actually played some pre season friendlies before the season started in my opinion!  We had the league wrapped up by April, we should be ready by the middle of July whether the manager has changed or not.

The season already started through but fault of our own, the reconstruction of the league cup, it’s more pre season more than anything else. Played more games? Stubbs not that long in the job he can only do what he has done so far.

The most worrying thing he said was he needed another couple of players "for the team" but then corrected himself and said "or for the squad" so we've gone from a couple of marquee signings that would get the fans excited to a couple squad players, is it too late to ask permission to speak to Danny Lennon even the summer of beath got us Darren McGregor

The most worrying thing he said was he needed another couple of players "for the team" but then corrected himself and said "or for the squad" so we've gone from a couple of marquee signings that would get the fans excited to a couple squad players, is it too late to ask permission to speak to Danny Lennon even the summer of beath got us Darren McGregor

Danny Lennon? I do hope you were joking [emoji6]

Guest TPAFKATS
Here we go all doom & gloom, he’s not got the same personality as Ross & why should he. Do we really think last seasons team would be good enough for the SPL? I don’t, we got bullied from the likes of Livingston we were needing changes. We’re not exactly rolling in money to buy players so he’s brought in who he thought & hopefully will step up to the mark plus lost a couple who probably gave most to help us over the line last season.Ross also signed duffers too. At least wait till the season starts then cast judgment. I will. Let’s all get behind him his staff & players we all need each other. Just my opinion.

Really not bothered about the manager's personality.
Really getting concerned by the current lack of depth to the squad and the lack of quality being brought in to replace those who I wasn't too upset to see leaving.
With regards to not being rolling in money - were so well off that we've just spunked 75k on a guy from non league football in England.
I can't recall us spending that on a player since the 80s and I wouldn't expect any of those that we are competing with to do that.

Last season's team and formation would give me more hope than the team and formation I am currently watching. Yes the squad needed strengthening not weakening and weakened it clearly is to anyone who has been watching.
We have a formation this year?
[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

I just feel he's got rid of guys without seeing them in any competitive games, brought a load of duffers in, with the exception of coulson, and there's no coherence..that number 22 trialist yesterday in just the warm up looked dreadful. He miskicked the ball 3 times, missed the ball twice and let the ball go under his foot twice..i said to my son, ' what does stubbs see in him. He looks pish before the game starts'..and I was right..it just has the Rae feel..i hope I'm wrong

9 minutes ago, buddygreat said:

I just feel he's got rid of guys without seeing them in any competitive games, brought a load of duffers in, with the exception of coulson, and there's no coherence..that number 22 trialist yesterday in just the warm up looked dreadful. He miskicked the ball 3 times, missed the ball twice and let the ball go under his foot twice..i said to my son, ' what does stubbs see in him. He looks pish before the game starts'..and I was right..it just has the Rae feel..i hope I'm wrong

Yes, thats why he isn't being offered a contract

2 hours ago, ged62 said:

Here we go all doom & gloom, he’s not got the same personality as Ross & why should he. Do we really think last seasons team would be good enough for the SPL? I don’t, we got bullied from the likes of Livingston we were needing changes. We’re not exactly rolling in money to buy players so he’s brought in who he thought & hopefully will step up to the mark plus lost a couple who probably gave most to help us over the line last season.Ross also signed duffers too. At least wait till the season starts then cast judgment. I will. Let’s all get behind him his staff & players we all need each other. Just my opinion.

Ged. I'm in your camp. Many seem to be forgetting two things. Firstly. .JR struggled until he got the players he wanted. That didn't work out too badly in the end. Secondly..JR had indicated that he was shipping a load of players out and needed a bigger and more physical team for 2018/2019. So let's get behind AS rather than on his back. He has enough to be getting on with.

8 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Think we need some new supporters, a lot o dross posting on here aboot Stubbs when he husnae even got started yet.

Gi the man a chance fur god's sake.

Sometimes. When it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...…..

I’d probably be regarded as high up on the happy clapper scale, but there are many worrying signs.

Recruitment hasn’t brought in anywhere near enough quality (with Coulsen the exception), McGinn is the only leader in the squad, there’s not enough pace, telling players they can go without suitable replacements coming in and bringing in 3 trialists only two weeks before the season starts smacks of desperation.

We’ve been spoiled for the past 18 months.

Can anyone believe that we’re a fortnight away from the start of the season with Danny Mullen and Ross Stewart as our only credible striking options?

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
3 hours ago, ged62 said:

Ged. I'm in your camp. Many seem to be forgetting two things. Firstly. .JR struggled until he got the players he wanted. That didn't work out too badly in the end. Secondly..JR had indicated that he was shipping a load of players out and needed a bigger and more physical team for 2018/2019. So let's get behind AS rather than on his back. He has enough to be getting on with.

Jack Ross had already got rid of most of the players he didn't fancy for the premiership before Stubbs took over. If we were going down the route of requiring big and physical players for this season why have we told Eckersley (not tall but quite physical), MacKenzie to find new clubs and let Hippolyte move. I wasn't fussed about Hippolyte going at first, since he was yet another Jack Ross gamble, but it's not sounding as if Jeff King or Cody Cooke are an improvement on The Hip!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

15 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

I’d probably be regarded as high up on the happy clapper scale, but there are many worrying signs.

Recruitment hasn’t brought in anywhere near enough quality (with Coulsen the exception), McGinn is the only leader in the squad, there’s not enough pace, telling players they can go without suitable replacements coming in and bringing in 3 trialists only two weeks before the season starts smacks of desperation.

We’ve been spoiled for the past 18 months.

Can anyone believe that we’re a fortnight away from the start of the season with Danny Mullen and Ross Stewart as our only credible striking options?

It's like when Butcher was brought in to sort out a Hibs team heading for relegation. Petrie didn't stump up for the players Butcher had identified to bring in and Butcher had already told players he wanted them out and didn't think they were up to the job. End result, not enough new recruits came in, Butcher lost the dressing room, "Hibsing it" became a popular phrase and they were relegated by Accies winning a promotion play off final on penalties at Easter Road.

5 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack Ross had already got rid of most of the players he didn't fancy for the premiership before Stubbs took over. If we were going down the route of requiring big and physical players for this season why have we told Eckersley (not tall but quite physical), MacKenzie to find new clubs and let Hippolyte move. I wasn't fussed about Hippolyte going at first, since he was yet another Jack Ross gamble, but it's not sounding as if Jeff King or Cody Cooke are an improvement on The Hip!

DOPB.  I am looking back in the first instance to when JR first arrived.  He was given a hard time as results didn't go our way. AS has yet to lose a competitive game and he is getting a hard time.  Secondly, as you say JR had got rid of some he felt would not perform in the premiership.  AS has to be his own man and build a team and dressing room atmosphere that works within.  This took JR some time and it will take time for AS as well.  Time to cut him some slack.  My first point of judgement will be how we do in the group stages of the League Cup. 

It's like when Butcher was brought in to sort out a Hibs team heading for relegation. Petrie didn't stump up for the players Butcher had identified to bring in and Butcher had already told players he wanted them out and didn't think they were up to the job. End result, not enough new recruits came in, Butcher lost the dressing room, "Hibsing it" became a popular phrase and they were relegated by Accies winning a promotion play off final on penalties at Easter Road.
'Hibsing' had been around for years but worryingly it really came to a head under Stubbs.....[emoji87]

Anyway it's very early days in his long tenure so hopefully he gets in a few players he wants and they can hit the ground running.

On the evidence so far the remaining players of Jack's team can match a good scottish Premier team, a team with Stubbs and Jack's recent signings will struggle against a scottish non league team and a team with guys we aren't signing will get pumped by a third tier English team.

For those reasons I'm happy that we play in the Scottish premier league.

Really not bothered about the manager's personality.
Really getting concerned by the current lack of depth to the squad and the lack of quality being brought in to replace those who I wasn't too upset to see leaving.
With regards to not being rolling in money - were so well off that we've just spunked 75k on a guy from non league football in England.
I can't recall us spending that on a player since the 80s and I wouldn't expect any of those that we are competing with to do that.

Keep your wings on & keep flapping [emoji6]

I just can't understand the whole business. If we are releasing players because they're not deemed good enough and to get them off the wage bill , like Hippo , surely we must have identified replacements. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

DOPB.  I am looking back in the first instance to when JR first arrived.  He was given a hard time as results didn't go our way. AS has yet to lose a competitive game and he is getting a hard time.  Secondly, as you say JR had got rid of some he felt would not perform in the premiership.  AS has to be his own man and build a team and dressing room atmosphere that works within.  This took JR some time and it will take time for AS as well.  Time to cut him some slack.  My first point of judgement will be how we do in the group stages of the League Cup. 

Jack Ross inherited a dressing room of a team sitting second bottom of the league after 6 games when the club had been on a downward trajectory for a few seasons. Stubbs inherits a dressing room after 18 months or progress, good momentum and a sense of togetherness. No one is saying last season's squad would have coasted to safety under Jack Ross who had acknowledged we needed to strengthen and bring in 8 or 9 players. If you add Reilly, Hippolyte and the 4 players Stubbs has said can find other clubs you could be looking at 12-13 players required by Ross's estimation and we've brought in Danny Rogers, Hayden Coulson, Cole Kpekawa, Jim Kellerman, Cody Cooke, Paul McGinn, and Josh Heaton. Aside from Coulson and Paul McGinn people are getting more excited about Connor MacPherson, Jordan Kilpatrick and possibly Ross Stewart making more of a contribution this season when they couldn't get into the side which won the championship last season. Even IOBS has ceased raving about Heaton's youtube highlights reel.