Stubbsy Says...........Goodbye

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

I just can't understand the whole business. If we are releasing players because they're not deemed good enough and to get them off the wage bill , like Hippo , surely we must have identified replacements. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is Jeff King not the Hippo replacement, Kpekawa for MacKenzie, Coulson for Eckersley etc?

Jack Ross had already got rid of most of the players he didn't fancy for the premiership before Stubbs took over. If we were going down the route of requiring big and physical players for this season why have we told Eckersley (not tall but quite physical), MacKenzie to find new clubs and let Hippolyte move. I wasn't fussed about Hippolyte going at first, since he was yet another Jack Ross gamble, but it's not sounding as if Jeff King or Cody Cooke are an improvement on The Hip!
This was my thinking. JR was building for the SPL. Without seeing anyone in a competitive sense, AS has came in with a big shovel never mind a broom..im all for replacing players with better players, but it looks like we've just replaced guys with guys with nice her and fake tans..oh, there's someone scored for dunfermline..whats the odds it's hippolyte [emoji23]

2 minutes ago, buddygreat said:

This was my thinking. JR was building for the SPL. Without seeing anyone in a competitive sense, AS has came in with a big shovel never mind a broom..im all for replacing players with better players, but it looks like we've just replaced guys with guys with nice her and fake tans..oh, there's someone scored for dunfermline..whats the odds it's hippolyte emoji23.png

It wisnae!

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Of course Stubbs should be given a few months. The early signs aren't encouraging, but we just have to hope that he can pull a few rabbits out the hat.

Stubbs last week... ‘Trialist A, on the left. Trialist B, on the right....and trialist C..... up the middle! Ta-dah!

0A947C4D-4F81-4191-8815-8DFDB7C429B1.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack Ross inherited a dressing room of a team sitting second bottom of the league after 6 games when the club had been on a downward trajectory for a few seasons. Stubbs inherits a dressing room after 18 months or progress, good momentum and a sense of togetherness. No one is saying last season's squad would have coasted to safety under Jack Ross who had acknowledged we needed to strengthen and bring in 8 or 9 players. If you add Reilly, Hippolyte and the 4 players Stubbs has said can find other clubs you could be looking at 12-13 players required by Ross's estimation and we've brought in Danny Rogers, Hayden Coulson, Cole Kpekawa, Jim Kellerman, Cody Cooke, Paul McGinn, and Josh Heaton. Aside from Coulson and Paul McGinn people are getting more excited about Connor MacPherson, Jordan Kilpatrick and possibly Ross Stewart making more of a contribution this season when they couldn't get into the side which won the championship last season. Even IOBS has ceased raving about Heaton's youtube highlights reel.

What you are highlighting is correct in that the difference when JR came in was that we were losing. AS has come in when we have been winning well enough to win the championship. I agree with that. I am still suspending judgement but will look at our progress in the league cup compared to last year and our recruitment by the end of August. From experience in management it was easier to make startling progress if you took over from an underperforming manager...as JR did. Let's not forget JR going into the main stand to speak with unhappy fans early in his tenure.

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

What you are highlighting is correct in that the difference when JR came in was that we were losing. AS has come in when we have been winning well enough to win the championship. I agree with that. I am still suspending judgement but will look at our progress in the league cup compared to last year and our recruitment by the end of August. From experience in management it was easier to make startling progress if you took over from an underperforming manager...as JR did. Let's not forget JR going into the main stand to speak with unhappy fans early in his tenure.

Jack Ross began to make startling progress about 4 or 5 months after taking the job!

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

And how long has Stubbs been at Saints?

I'm all for giving Stubbs the first quarter of the season - we'll know by our first round of league fixtures whether Killie performance was the norm or whether the Spartans game set the standard we can expect.

It's pre-league-season, its a new boss and a new team but there is nothing wrong with supporters posting their opinions on what we've seen so far - no one was moaning about fans saying I was wrong about Stubbs and his signings after the Killie game and top 6 here we come (which lots of people were saying as they thought this team plus a few marquee signings / Jack who? etc).

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack Ross inherited a dressing room of a team sitting second bottom of the league after 6 games when the club had been on a downward trajectory for a few seasons. Stubbs inherits a dressing room after 18 months or progress, good momentum and a sense of togetherness. No one is saying last season's squad would have coasted to safety under Jack Ross who had acknowledged we needed to strengthen and bring in 8 or 9 players. If you add Reilly, Hippolyte and the 4 players Stubbs has said can find other clubs you could be looking at 12-13 players required by Ross's estimation and we've brought in Danny Rogers, Hayden Coulson, Cole Kpekawa, Jim Kellerman, Cody Cooke, Paul McGinn, and Josh Heaton. Aside from Coulson and Paul McGinn people are getting more excited about Connor MacPherson, Jordan Kilpatrick and possibly Ross Stewart making more of a contribution this season when they couldn't get into the side which won the championship last season. Even IOBS has ceased raving about Heaton's youtube highlights reel.

No I have not and you my good friend are book marked,  Heaton is a good player as you will find out as the season progresses.  :D

When JR came in he gave everyone in the squad a chance to show what they could do. He also had little option as it was October and he could not sign anyone. Once everyone got a chance Jack binned a lot of them and replaced them with young players from our own development squad. And those that attended games could see that there was now a game plan and an energy and belief about the team that did not exist beforehand even though it took a while for results to start matching performance. But you could see good performances and  massive improvement.

AS is in a far, far better situation than JR ever was. He has inherited a Championship winning team with the remit to improve it. So far we are seeing a dismantling of that team and new players who look way out of their depth.  Unfortunately we have no option but hope things improve as there are realistically no other options for now.

Stubbzo and Dazza were quizzed by two friends of mine last week about Fitzy's promise that we would end up top 6 this season.  Stubbzo's answer, "Tony Fitzpatrick has to give me a budget then"

Which, in my head at least, begs some very serious questions.  Why did he tell 4 solid if unspectacular players they were persona non grata when he already knows they are better than the dross he has brought in?  Why has he spent a big chunk of what budget he has on giving jobs to pals when he doesn't have any quality to coach?   Finally, why sign several gash players when the money could have secured one or two good ones?

Methinks Stubbzo is  quite comfy in that he has his excuses already lined up for the reckoning that's ahead of us.  I also suspect that Brian Rice is getting hit with all the spadework on the training ground while the rest play at being big shots.

Just my thoughts and I'll be happy to revise them,  hopefully I'll be doing a humiliating backflip sometime soon.                          

17 hours ago, Sonny said:

When JR came in he gave everyone in the squad a chance to show what they could do. He also had little option as it was October and he could not sign anyone. Once everyone got a chance Jack binned a lot of them and replaced them with young players from our own development squad. And those that attended games could see that there was now a game plan and an energy and belief about the team that did not exist beforehand even though it took a while for results to start matching performance. But you could see good performances and  massive improvement.

AS is in a far, far better situation than JR ever was. He has inherited a Championship winning team with the remit to improve it. So far we are seeing a dismantling of that team and new players who look way out of their depth.  Unfortunately we have no option but hope things improve as there are realistically no other options for now.

Let's not forget 4 of that team left - Morgan, Smith and Davies plus Gavin choose not to sign a new contract. Any team losing that quality would suffer and replacing the first 3 names would always be hard.  

Just now, nedflanders123 said:

Let's not forget 4 of that team left - Morgan, Smith and Davies plus Gavin choose not to sign a new contract. Any team losing that quality would suffer and replacing the first 3 names would always be hard.  

I am well aware of that. But AS is still in a better position when he took over than JR ever was. Telling first team regulars like Eck, Mac, McShane (who played every game up until Jan), and to a lesser extent Hipp, to find a new Club without giving them a chance to perform and without replacements was premature and disrupted squad morale IMHO. He could phase them out if required once he had better players in but the way he has done it shows to me bad leadership.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Stubbzo and Dazza were quizzed by two friends of mine last week about Fitzy's promise that we would end up top 6 this season.  Stubbzo's answer, "Tony Fitzpatrick has to give me a budget then"

Which, in my head at least, begs some very serious questions.  Why did he tell 4 solid if unspectacular players they were persona non grata when he already knows they are better than the dross he has brought in?  Why has he spent a big chunk of what budget he has on giving jobs to pals when he doesn't have any quality to coach?   Finally, why sign several gash players when the money could have secured one or two good ones?

Methinks Stubbzo is  quite comfy in that he has his excuses already lined up for the reckoning that's ahead of us.  I also suspect that Brian Rice is getting hit with all the spadework on the training ground while the rest play at being big shots.

Just my thoughts and I'll be happy to revise them,  hopefully I'll be doing a humiliating backflip sometime soon.                          

BoK, I've been away for most of the summer so far and not totally up to date (although been at the last two games) but don't remember a promise being made of Top 6.......I do remember him saying that is what we should be aiming for and thinking of ourselves as. I'd be interested to read the interview when the promise was made, do you know what paper it was in so that I can have a read.

That said, with what I've seen so far, the top six seems a long way off at the moment!!

Edited by WeeBud

Im really worried that this appointment is gonna take us back a step. At least when JR wasnt winning at the start he inherited pish and said the right things. Stubbs is dismantling a good team, filling it with shite and sounding clueless in the process.

I hope he comes good but early signs are f**king depressing.

9 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Going to cost us a lot of money........

McGinn money  to get rid of the c**t

yes early reaction i know...panic set in but watched on periscope....brutal as f**k..

its so laughable but all we have left is hope and fingers and toes crossed

This squad of players is not good enough for the Championship let alone the Premier.Recruitment has been hopeless and told solid pros like McKenzie and Eckersley to leave.Tonight we were playing against an amateur side cobbled together in the close season from junior and amateur ranks.Where Stokes goes from here Christ knows..Time for the Chairman to come out now and make a some sort of statement.The feel good factor has all but gone.Stokes inherited the club in a great state and he has just torn things to threads.We were promised quality signings well where the hell are they Alan?

Just now, Mid Calder Saint said:

This squad of players is not good enough for the Championship let alone the Premier.Recruitment has been hopeless and told solid pros like McKenzie and Eckersley to leave.Tonight we were playing against an amateur side cobbled together in the close season from junior and amateur ranks.Where Stokes goes from here Christ knows..Time for the Chairman to come out now and make a some sort of statement.The feel good factor has all but gone.Stokes inherited the club in a great state and he has just torn things to threads.We were promised quality signings well where the hell are they Alan?

You drunk? :lol: