Heart of Midlothian FC - Idiots

Cornwall_Saint

Link from the Hearts OS

Message from the Chief Executive

It is with much embarrassment that we have to advise that during last night’s Betfred Cup group stage match away to Cove Rangers, Hearts inadvertently fielded an ineligible player.

Due to an administrative error on the club’s part at the end of the January transfer window, Andrew Irving entered the field of play in the 65th minute as an unregistered player. Andrew was given an extension contract in January, 2018 and his extension paperwork was all properly completed and in order. However, it was not loaded onto the online SFA registration system at the time.  His official registration, therefore, ran out on 9th June, 2018.  Unfortunately, this was not picked up in advance of last night’s game.

While stringent processes are already in place to try to prevent something of this nature occurring, clearly mistakes can happen.  An additional step in our internal procedures will be implemented immediately to try to ensure this cannot happen again.

The club would like to apologise to its supporters, to Cove Rangers Football Club and to the footballing authorities for this inadvertent breach of the rules.

A hearing with an SPFL panel has been scheduled for Monday, July 23rd and will be attended by representatives of the club, where sanctions against Hearts will be determined. Until then, no further comment will be made.

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Link from the Hearts OS

It is with much embarrassment that we have to advise that during last night’s Betfred Cup group stage match away to Cove Rangers, Hearts inadvertently fielded an ineligible player.

Due to an administrative error on the club’s part at the end of the January transfer window, Andrew Irving entered the field of play in the 65th minute as an unregistered player. Andrew was given an extension contract in January, 2018 and his extension paperwork was all properly completed and in order. However, it was not loaded onto the online SFA registration system at the time.  His official registration, therefore, ran out on 9th June, 2018.  Unfortunately, this was not picked up in advance of last night’s game.

While stringent processes are already in place to try to prevent something of this nature occurring, clearly mistakes can happen.  An additional step in our internal procedures will be implemented immediately to try to ensure this cannot happen again.

The club would like to apologise to its supporters, to Cove Rangers Football Club and to the footballing authorities for this inadvertent breach of the rules.

A hearing with an SPFL panel has been scheduled for Monday, July 23rd and will be attended by representatives of the club, where sanctions against Hearts will be determined. Until then, no further comment will be made.

Award the match to Cove.  The decent thing to do. 

37 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Link from the Hearts OS

I'd throw them out of the competition,  dock them 25 points,  fine them £50k and lastly , make them give us Liam Smith for free.

Far from punishing Hearts, Hearts should punish the cnuts who have both of the 2013 final teams (and others) playing in one of the two cups we hold dear, in mid-July, in groups, with half-fit and half-assembled squads.

Get intae’ them Hearts. Tell them to shove their procedures up their arse.

From the Hearts OS

At a disciplinary hearing today (Monday, 23 July) a sub-committee of the SPFL Board charged Heart of Midlothian Football Club with playing an ineligible Player (Andrew Irving) in their Betfred Cup group stage match against Cove Rangers FC on 18 July 2018.

Heart of Midlothian admitted breaching SPFL Rules and were deducted two points from their Betfred Cup first round group stage tally.

The Club were also fined £10,000 (of which £8,000 was suspended until the end of season 2019/20).

This is too soft in my opinion. Should have been 3pts deducted and 3pts given to Cove. Doesn't set a good precedent if this happens in future.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

From the Hearts OS

At a disciplinary hearing today (Monday, 23 July) a sub-committee of the SPFL Board charged Heart of Midlothian Football Club with playing an ineligible Player (Andrew Irving) in their Betfred Cup group stage match against Cove Rangers FC on 18 July 2018.

Heart of Midlothian admitted breaching SPFL Rules and were deducted two points from their Betfred Cup first round group stage tally.

The Club were also fined £10,000 (of which £8,000 was suspended until the end of season 2019/20).

This is too soft in my opinion. Should have been 3pts deducted and 3pts given to Cove. Doesn't set a good precedent if this happens in future.

Cove must be the only team in these circumstances to have still ended up on 0 points for the fixture after action had been taken.

6 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Cove must be the only team in these circumstances to have still ended up on 0 points for the fixture after action had been taken.

Little natural justice in this decision. I guess had it been a knockout stage then the tie would have been awarded to Cove. 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Little natural justice in this decision. I guess had it been a knockout stage then the tie would have been awarded to Cove. 

I have my doubts. It's usually just the wee teams who get thrown out of cup competitions for infringements like this. Maybe letting Rangers oldco off with deliberately wrongly registering players for most of their squad for most of a decade set some new precedent? Hearts fine is basically just £2k.

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I have my doubts. It's usually just the wee teams who get thrown out of cup competitions for infringements like this. Maybe letting Rangers oldco off with deliberately wrongly registering players for most of their squad for most of a decade set some new precedent? Hearts fine is basically just £2k.

Hard not to agree with you on this DOPB. 

The point you and I clearly don't get is that there was/is no Sporting Advantage! 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

From the Hearts OS

I don't see why you think it's too soft. Did playing this player give Hearts an unfair advantage? It could be argued it gave Cove a better chance.

16 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I don't see why you think it's too soft. Did playing this player give Hearts an unfair advantage? It could be argued it gave Cove a better chance.

It's an impossibility to say whether Hearts gained an advantage or not. The guy he replaced could have gave away a penalty and cost Hearts a 3pt win, or he could have scored a ten minute hat trick and built the goal difference.

The point is, we have seen teams booted out of cups before due to unregistered players. Albion Rovers were punished and booted out of the Irn-Bru Cup in recent times. And talking of advantages, remember Legia Warsaw v Celtic? 6-1 win on aggregate, but Legia played an ineligible player for 4 minutes and were eliminated. Very unlikely Celtic's comeback was denied because of this. Of course that tournament was UEFA and not SFA/SPFL, but Hearts got away with this. I wouldn't advocate booting them out because it would completely mess up the groups, best Runners up Points tallies, it would be a total f**king mess. But I still think as so often is default, a 3-0 win to Cove, 3pts to Cove and 0pts to Hearts was the fairest option.